Using AirBnB as a guest for the first time - no response from owner

@PitonView

Just curious…I haven’t read through the thread but did you ever share the listing that you reserved? I’ve seen the pics of your place and wanted to know what you chose for your vacation rental of choice. Now that it’s off the realm of possibility, care to share (if you haven’t already)? Just interested in what floats yer’ boat.

This is where AirBNB shows its best colors. Now, have you been able to find an alternative for your trip?

@SandyToes -

No problem. Here’s the listing: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/17182589 .

It’s just the three of us travelling (husband, son, myself (me? I? - not sure on this one!)), but we need a large bed for our son. He is 6’3" tall,and doesn’t fit well in a twin bed, and I couldn’t find anything else with a second double/queen bed. I knew I was taking a chance on a new host, but I never envisioned it would be this bad.

@anon67190644 - Nope, I’ve been looking for awhile. Nothing on Homeaway, AirBnB, or Tripadvisor. I think we’re headed to a hotel, so I’m looking for a place with a sitting area in our room and a second room for the son. Price will probably end up about the same, but I hate giving up the living room and the kitchen. :sob:

@PitonView. And that is the problem with these circumstances, isn’t it? Remind me where you are headed?

We are headed to Stuttgart, Germany.

And he has bookings into the future as well

@PitonView

Oh, cooool! – it would have been perfect! …lot of neat features.

No reviews at all. Oh my! Perhaps he didn’t understand the commitment that renting a space required. That listing looks perfect, but only if they actually expect people to arrive at their door.

1 Like

Thanks for the update!

Oh it’s in Germany. No wonder he’s dropped off the face of the earth.

I had the exact same problem in Berlin and to date its the only place in all my travels where hosts were consistently difficult to get hold off. I don’t know the reasons why though …I started to think it was racism for a while so in some ways your random difficulty in the same country makes wonder if its just an attitude towards Airbnb.

1 Like

Response rate: 50% :thumbsdown:

It was much higher when I booked almost eight weeks ago.

That place looks amazing. Maybe it’s a rich person who only bothers to host when the mood is upon him.

Yup it’s stunning. And yeah maybe they thought about Airbnb but then couldn’t be bothered keeping in mind the laws in Germany around Airbnb and STR income.

I agree with everything you say, including the lack of correspondence from hosts.

As a host I respond immediately with a welcome message that includes telling the guests where they can find their itinerary etc. I then follow up by posting the itinerary as most people seem to use their phones and can’t access the itinerary via their phones.
The majority of guests do not acknowledge my welcome message or my itinerary message.

One final update - I just got an email from Air’s “Trust and Safety” group telling me I “was in communication with someone” that was suspicious, and telling me they have removed their account and I should change my password. Sure enough, it’s this host, although the email did not identify him by name or listing (I just can’t find his listing anymore).

So I’m batting 50%.

1 Like