Using AirBnB as a guest for the first time - no response from owner

Regardless I’m not turning on the radio at 3am while I pee. That’s just a huge signal to everyone that I’m peeing !

2 Likes

Going into the bathroom is probably a signal that something is up as well. I’ve known people who go in the bathroom turn on the shower and let it run while they do their business. Then they take a shower. They aren’t fooling anyone. I guess that’s fine in some places but here in the desert it’s really not appreciated.

You know what kind of odd to me about this whole noise from the bathroom thing is that probably everyone has used a bathroom with stalls. Everyone has heard other people in the bathroom. Particularly in the case of this villa where people are traveling with others that they presumably know well, it seems odd that people would be so sensitive about it. I was a shy puberty stricken teenager but now, not so much.

1 Like

That is exactly the problem: You know them well. LOL.

Once in the busstation in Cuzco, at an hour when everyone arrives there after having travelled for 10+ hours, I went to the bathroom: It was a wonderful concert :hear_no_evil: coming from 5 stalls at once. At least I didn’t have to worry about making any noise :see_no_evil:, because I could always blame my neighbors. :speak_no_evil:
If there is just one bathroom, and several friends are listening in, it’s quiet a different matter. :laughing:

1 Like

Hehe, true :slight_smile:

But really, I don’t mind people knowing that I’m peeing. I’m sure that they pee too. I don’t see the problem. :wink:

1 Like

Same here. If I have an upset stomach in the Walmart bathroom, I’m okay with that.

But having a room full of friends and relatives listen to my body spew out diarrhea…not happening if I can help it! :blush:

1 Like

(How 'bout John Philips Sousa conducting the Dallas Wind Symphony…)

1 Like

In Japan, you can set the electronic Toto on waterfall, chimes, ocean, music or splash to cover up the sounds of your tinkles.

3 Likes

I wasn’t going to put it in such specific words :see_no_evil:, but we understand each other :wink:.

Back to my original topic - an update:
I messaged the owner Friday night about the check-in time, and he did get back to me on Saturday to confirm the dates were available (! I would hope so since he has instant book on…). He asked me to contact him via his own email to confirm some things, so I did. I have not heard back.

I have to wait to see what he wants off the AirBnB platform. It may be a contract - I’ve done that before and I am OK with that (depending on the contents, of course).

I’m in a similar situation with an ABB host for a check in on Wed. I’ve reached out a few times and have no check in info (other than the address). I’m debating about texting/calling if I don’t hear back by Tuesday.

Oddly the host was very responsive prior to my booking, but once I booked…crickets.

@azreala - Any response from the host yet? That always bothers me when they go quiet after booking - makes me think all they care about is making the sale, then don’t care if the customer is happy…

I have not heard back from my Saturday morning email to our host :disappointed:. If this does work out, I will give him private feedback as a fellow host. Replies don’t need to be 20 minutes later, but the sooner you reply, the more comfortable the guest is that you are on top of things, should there be any issues.

We got a response last night! Cutting it too close!

1 Like

I still don’t have confirmation from this host that he understands we have booked (he had Instant Book turned on and I used it). The last I heard from him was last Friday asking me if we “still want to book the place” and that was not through the AirBnB message system. My reply was that he had Instant Book turned on, and we have already booked.

Since then, nothing. I did just message him again through AirBnB asking him to confirm that he can host us for our booked dates.

I don’t expect 2-hour turnaround, but not hearing a “Yes, you are booked and we can host you” after almost a month is making me nervous. I know we don’t travel until June, but if he can’t host us, I want the chance to pick another place.

Advice?

What’s the cancellation policy? I wouldn’t feel comfortable staying here after he asked that… he’s either totally clueless about Airbnb (and therefore how to be a decent host) or he’s trying something on.

1 Like

Yes I agree with @Gardenhost

I would ring Airbnb and let them know what’s going on. How many pervious guests has he had??

That would be my last straw. You have no reason to think that he will be responsive should you need anything once you arrive there. Don’t take a chance on him. Find another place with good reviews.

Sometimes I already feel bad if we are not able to answer within 2 hours. :blush:
Call AirBnB and ask if you can cancel free of charge. This is no normal service.

My advice would be the same as you were given nearly three weeks ago :slight_smile: Call Airbnb. In your situation I would ask them to cancel the booking and help you find somewhere else as you feel uncomfortable with the hosts as they don’t correspond.

Partial update - Still no response, after a half-dozen emails and AirBnB messages and a text. It’s been over a month and the last thing he asked was “do you still want to book” even though I HAD booked (Instant Book). He also said “I never got your email” (but it was in response to the email he claimed he never got! Duh)

I called the AirBnB phone number, and finally got through to a nice lady named Jeanette. Explained the situation, and she’s collecting the data. She offered to email the guy herself, and I was a little grouchy and asked her why he would answer her email when he never bothered to answer mine? But told her to try anyway. She’s going to see if they can get “more” of my money back than I am entitled to if I cancel. I flat-out told her I think this guy might be a scammer and I want ALL my money back.

I also pointed out that I am a host, and never, ever, in a million years would I treat a guest like this. And I have no faith that he will send me check-in instructions or meet me to let me in.

I’ll keep y’all posted.

4 Likes

In case anyone is interested in the final outcome:
AIrBnB contacted me yesterday morning and told me they gave the host 24 hours to respond to their request for communication, or they would cancel the booking and return all my money. I got a call this morning and they told me the host never got back to them, so I have a full refund, including fees. AirBnB’s comment was “it’s like he dropped off the face of the earth”.

I know as hosts we always b*ch and moan about AirBnB playing emperor, but I believe most of the people on this forum are legitimate and ethical hosts, trying to do a good job. Unfortunately, that’s not true of every host (they told me about 3% of the reservations are “problematic”). So, when a guest truly has a problem with a host, it’s reassuring that we can escalate a problem.

My alternative would be to initiate a chargeback. I’m pleased it did not have to get that far.

2 Likes