Use Instant Book or host fees will increase from 3% to 5%!? šŸ˜±

After forcing new listings to be Instant Book only, apparently Airbnb is now looking into new ways to push hosts to activate Instant Book.

They sent out a survey a few days ago, asking hosts if they would activate IB if Airbnb waived the 3% host fess for 90 days.

Additionally, they suggested that host service fees will go up to 5% from the 1st of December for all hosts that donā€™t use IBā€¦

All the details in this post: http://all-about-airbnb.com/post/151523939816/extra-host-fees-for-non-instant-book-hosts

1 Like

Is anyone surprised?

2 Likes

This just makes me really relieved that my property works well with IB and I have it on and am happy with it. And while I prefer a moderate cancellation policy, Iā€™ll be switching to flexible if they raise the fees just because I donā€™t trust them to stand by their cancellation policy anyway, I mostly view it as a deterrent from lousy guests.

I really feel for those hosts who need to have a strict policy and where IB simply doesnā€™t work for their set-up. I just got an IB for tomorrow and Iā€™ve messaged the guest to find out their arrival time within minutes of their booking and havenā€™t heard back yet. Tomorrow is a busy day, so I can make it work, but Iā€™ve got a check-out tomorrow as well so Iā€™m hoping itā€™s a later check-in. But I doubt it. And they donā€™t have the courtesy of responding to me within 10 minutes of their booking? Itā€™s nerve wracking and Iā€™m gonna get dinged if they show up and Iā€™m not home or itā€™s not ready yet. Thankfully this is a rarity for me, but this is common reality for many people even without IB and Air is really pushing hosts to leave the siteā€¦

1 Like

whoa, All Aboutā€¦ Where are you from? IN the U.S.? I did not get such an email.

Does this mean if you are on strict cancellation AND non IB you will pay TEN PERCENT??

I just wonder if this beta is rolling out to try new things.
Shame on Airbnb making this all about guestsā€¦Taking away our optional control!!! SHAME!!!

Today I am spending the day trying to list on new platforms.

4 Likes

I am glad I am taking a break from hosting. Between charging more for not using IB, and the increased fees for strict & moderate cancellation policies, I would feel that I am taking on a lot of risk as a host. Iā€™d feel unsafe accepting sketchy IB guests into the home I live in, and Iā€™d also feel I was taking all of the financial risk with having my calendar blocked until a guest cancels at the last minute.

2 Likes

And I do not believe Air will stand by their policies (and protect hosts) with instant book either. After a while - if all hosts were on instant book, and guests still continue to just click through photos (without reading anything) Air is going to piss those guests off because they will lose a lot of money.

Imagine a guest books a house for a week with a four person maximum. Guest just assumes their two toddlers donā€™t count, so they are really bringing six. Host finds out soon after booking and says ā€œsorry - but you will need to rent another house for two of the people.ā€ - Well guest isnā€™t going to do this as husband and wife with four kids arenā€™t going to rent two houses now.

In the end, host refuses to refund their $1,500. What do you really think Air is going to do?? The guest WILL file a chargeback with their credit card company. And Air is not going to just eat those kinds of charges over and over and over again.

2 Likes

Sarah, You are expressing what Iā€™ve said many times before about the direction Airbnb is taking, which is to become less personalized. They want us to function like Expedia.com, etc., which is faceless, but itā€™s super convenient for guests. They push a button and itā€™s all done. They donā€™t have to schmooze and cajole usā€“just show up!

3 Likes

Yeah. Thankfully this isnā€™t normal for me and my ā€œnicheā€ with Air is a private and fully separate space. But the problem with IB and the general faceless booking process is that we have questions we need answered since this is our only space and we have lives. If he arrives at the beginning of my check-in window Iā€™m screwed. If he communicates with me that thatā€™s when he intends to arrive I can cancel my plans and make it work. But that is a last resort which will be necessary though because the people currently staying have a dog so thereā€™s extra cleaning involved.

And Iā€™ll be pissed if he never messages me back and I cancel my plans and then he arrives at like 9pm. Because itā€™s all not necessary with some basic communication.

And switching to all IB and completely flexible policies will hurt everyone long-term because the quality is going to go down and then thereā€™s no niche.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll believe this rate raise nonsense when I personally see an email from Air telling me they are raising he rates if I donā€™t comply with their IB garbage.

Did anyone in America get this survey or email? I sure as hell didnā€™t. Iā€™m having trouble believing Mr. AllAbout.

2 Likes

Well, they did break the cancellation policy changes that the Italian hosts are going through and will eventually be pushed on us all. And I donā€™t doubt it at all.

2 Likes

All About must not be in the US. I believe Air is rolling out these things in other countries. Thereā€™s no real evidence they will be doing that here. A ā€œyesā€ from a CSR does not count as evidence.

1 Like

I just booked my hotel and Prague and itā€™s only refundable with a penalty fee.

Why should Air make us eat all of this guest capriciousness. Itā€™s just so unfair.

Itā€™s making me think I should just do long term renting. The risks wonā€™t be worth the rewards at some point.

3 Likes

I didnā€™t. And I find it strange that the first three sentences of each paragraph are identical - and the first two words of the next. Airbnb is usually more literate.

1 Like

If I were you Iā€™d definitely rent LT, especially since you have the seasonal ebb and flow. You work your butt off then coast a little and make a little less. Seems like it would balance out and you wouldnā€™t have to work as hard IF you really screen a LT tenant.

1 Like

It all depends on the situation. Whatā€™s funny for us is that the city inspector specifically told us that we cannot do LTR in our space without a variance from the city since weā€™re zoned for single family occupancy, but we can let people stay up there short term all we want, other than that it can only be either immediate family or friends visiting, but both we could not profit off it. Weā€™re probably fudging it a bit, but our state has already passed the house saying that owners can do STR even if local municipalities say otherwise and theyā€™re working out collecting taxes through Air.

I like that I can keep an eye on the place and not have a long-term tenant destroying it.

How about waiving my 3% fee for 90-days if I stay on IB? I suppose they have no incentive to offer us that if weā€™re already on IBā€¦ Rude!

2 Likes

Yeah, give incentives for the behaviors you want, not punishment for those doing what they need for their property. Everyone agreed to 3% fees when they signed up. So give a discount to those who are doing what you wantā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen tons of great listings. I donā€™t know how many they need to become profitable but I have a feeling they are going to be okay.

1 Like

LTRs donā€™t destroy places. The ones I have actually have improved the places; and they really stay long term. But you have to take the time to screen them, which doesnā€™t take much effort.

1 Like

I had a guy I knew for years rent from me and he destroyed my house. Meanwhile we have a great tenant right now who takes great care of it. It all seems so random in a lot of ways, and the best screening techniques tend to be illegal, lol.

But I do think, especially with LTR, price point really does affect the quality of your tenant. Because at a certain price youā€™ve naturally screened out the lousy tenants because they canā€™t afford it. With what I have that I STR, I wouldnā€™t be able to price out the lousy people and it would get destroyed like the last 4 people who my dad rented it to before me (illegally, lol).