Type of guest to avoid?

I’m not embarrassed at all, and I haven’t spent a lot of time researching past postings of each contributor here, so pardon me for that.

I’m pedantic and Sandy Toes has an us vs them attitude about older guests. LOLOL. Right.

2 Likes

Well, nobody is perfect. :))

Also, you have to realize that you have an “inner circle” here. You know each other and are familiar with personalities and if someone is being facetious/tongue in cheek.

1 Like

What threw me off a bit was that Sandy Toes (in this thread) already clarified for “Sydney” that she was just kidding. Sydney replied back and acknowledged at the time that she hadn’t realized she was just joking.

But then when you mentioned Sandy Toes’s comment, Sydney again chimed in with

It’s all good though…as we know many threads are skimmed :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You are part of our clique now, J!

2 Likes

@J_Wang There is no clique or extra reading…just read the THREAD you are posting in, before you post in it. Had you done that you would have seen the jovial banter between Sandy and Mearns, and her comments clearly in the context of of sarcasm.

2 Likes

So true, and the threads sometimes (like this one) meander and the thread is lost, and then another one picks up. In any case, as you said, it’s all good and no hard feelings. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m so glad you enjoyed Malaga! It’s becoming very popular with tourists from Northern Europe especially, as it’s an easy destination on budget airlines. I agree with you about the cruise ship tourists - we look in the newspaper to see how many ships are in port before deciding whether to come into town!

“What, in central Rome, only one bathroom? Not five like I would like it to be?” “Oh WOW! Such a small place in central Paris, but oh wow, this is Paris, I’d like to see the Eiffel tower. But anyway we prefer this suburban house, because it has at least two bathrooms.”

International House Hunters in a nutshell! My husband laughed that these guys just spend too much time in their bathrooms. It is only a place to visit not to live in…

(Our favorite place to stay in Paris has only 35m2 for the family of four! And there is all we need for cooking well and washing the clothes and dishes…)/and the sarcasm was sent to the program not to the American nation:))) and in fact they were genuine quotes from the program.

1 Like

I certainly hope so! :))))

The type who can’t read.

1 Like

I so agree and I’m glad I found this post. 50+ especially here in the US are nightmares. They want the Four seasons but have money for Motel 6 only. Here are typical complaints I see

1. bed is too soft (they all seem to have back problems)
  2. I need a fresh towel daily if not every other day - incredible
  3. If I stay more than one night, please make my bed daily

I HATE renting to this demographic, really do.

2 Likes

Ahem. Well ‘some’ of us over 50 are cool. :sunglasses:
I started a thread on demographics (generations) recently that you may find interesting.

2 Likes

Abso-bloody-lutely!

I have never had any of these complaints from any age group.

Another situation where “hotel” guests need an education on Airbnb. You know those emails from Airbnb we used to get as newbies? The ones telling us to clean up and put some food out for our guests (among other things)? I wonder if guests get the same emails when they have a trip coming up. I wish they’d say something like “you’re about to be guest in someone’s home - please be courteous and read their house rules, message them your arrival time, and for god sake remove your makeup with the brown washcloths”. (lol!)

5 Likes

I feel your pain. It’s the couples. They can get a little picky. They just need a reality check, as in, please look at what you are paying and getting above and beyond some crap motel that costs more.

Agree-airbnb does nothing to help us to be frank. They only transact money at the end of the day if someone has a site that actually sets boundaries,helps hosts, they will out grow airbnb.

So what do you do to try to discourage them? I’d suggest putting things in your listing like “Nice soft bed, fresh towels weekly.” Make the deficiencies of your listing (to the oldsters) seem like features. Then when they contact you asking about the bed you can direct them to check with other hosts.

1 Like

Most of my guests are young.
By that i mean under 35. And i do have a better experience with younger people.
Even now with long terms, young guy is wonderful, the older guy i really want to replace already but he just paid me for the second month. I thought i started to like him but he does things every day something ‘new’, grouchy, not pleasant at all, wakes up at 5 am, blows his nose so the whole house hears him, forgets things that i told him not to do, like turn off ceiling fan when leave, puts his food on our shelf, does not lock doors when inside the house, does not take his shoes off. Argues with me when i tell him for example park his huge car on a street not on driveway.
We dont run into each other much thankfully.

2 Likes

My god, Yana, sounds like you’re hosting my husband …!

2 Likes