Time Expiration on Booking Request by Guest

What does the 24-hours to accept booking countdown do as a Host?

I have been hosting for about 1.5 months and this is the first time the Guest has been very slow with the back and forth communication. This led to the time being expired outside of the 24 hour time frame.

I used this experience as a test case: I thought the expiry will lead to a drop in my response rate percentage… but it didn’t!

Funny how without my consent, Air decided to renew the time expiry for another 24-hours - not that I am against it, but how did this happen?

Mmm. Was this a booking enquiry ?

Is there a difference between a Booking Inquiry & and a Booking Request?

Yes. There is. And the rules are different as well. Don’t have time right now to google the correct AirBNB link for you, but it is there in the Support Area.

Booking inquiry = Potential guest contacts you about an interest in some dates. It’s not a confirmed booking unless you pre-approve or send a special offer and the guest accepts.

Booking request = Potential guest submits an offer to stay during those dates with credit card information and everything already entered, and you can choose to accept or deny the request. Once you do, the booking is confirmed.

Instant booking (I am adding this one to distinguish between this and booking request) = Potential guest who meets criteria set by the host can create a confirmed booking without having to wait for acceptance by the host.

I hope this helps clarify.

1 Like

I would add:

Booking enquiry - you need to reply to the question in 24 hours. You do not need to pre-approve or decline within 24 hours regardless of the system making it look like you do. If you have replied the counter can be ignored and will have no impact on your response rate. I am pretty certain based on what you’ve said you had an enquiry not a booking request.

The timer often restarts when the guest starts the conversation again.

Booking request : you must accept or decline within 24 hours. Not doing so will count against your response rate.

Instant booking: no action required.