This Host Will Be a Guest

Sorry, but I have to disagree. I am not that type of traveller myself. You are describing a bare minimum accommodation and that wasn’t what I was looking for when I made my reservation.

But I guess that’s why hosts need as accurate a listing as possible, to match with guest expectations.

2 Likes

Yes, bare minimum had been the question. I didn’t say that’s what we provide or what I would look for in a location for a stay. Accurate listing was one of the things I stated in my bare minimum answer.

You and I are on the same wave length. My house is pretty much what you’ve described. Nothing matches. It’s all old, but it’s clean and has lots of character. I seem to attract people who like this type of accommodation rather than the matchy matchy, shiny new stuff that makes the place look like a catalogue cover.

But this is what makes Airbnb great. We can search out our tastes.

2 Likes

I’m afraid that I’m a bit addicted to that site. Mostly to see how very dumb people can be (hosts and guests).

People leave huge posts there when the only answer is ‘call Airbnb’.

Yes, I saw the post by the intern who had no AC. Our AC stopped working the other day - the guest let me know - and we had a service person here to fix it within the hour. The job took less than an hour So, because the guests had gone out to a family occasion, they weren’t inconvenienced at all. Why don’t these other hosts want to delight their guests?

3 Likes

Sorry if this is a dumb question but what is Airbnb sub Reddit?

Aw, well, not everyone was born knowing all the answers like some of us, so that’s why they’re asking questions :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s a sub forum (well - thread) on Reddit. Google is your friend @Terryathome

But surely most people have enough knowledge to know when they just need to pick up the phone?

1 Like

I’m too lazy to read the OP, but I’m assuming it had to do with people, probably inexperienced hosts, wanting help with an issue. When I first started out hosting I got into a couple of difficult situations and tried like crazy to find help on the website with no luck at all. Then I tried calling but got put on hold forever and hung up.

What I find a bit weird is that new hosts don’t fully immerse themselves in the site, its terms and conditions and the help pages. (Or at least, this website!)

Even stranger that guests don’t. They are the ones shelling out their hard-earned money, after all. On that Reddit thingy I see guests who have shelled out $1000+ for accommodation but have no idea how to proceed if there are any issues.

1 Like

Yes exactly. So when something happens outside your limited knowledge …you pick up the phone and ask…

1 Like

Hehe most people have an opinion or two.

1 Like

We got back from our trip yesterday where we used our ABB coupon to stay as a guest. It was just lovely. Here’s where we stayed: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/14384748

The host made us fresh peach muffins, a just-sliced mixed fruit cup (berries, bananas, grapes, oranges) and OJ for breakfast and we made all of the coffee we wanted in our room. We had breakfast pool-side. I think that was the best part of our stay - we enjoyed it immensely.

As a guest it was a very positive experience.

I picked up a few tips that this host did that was worth copying such as having a picture frame like this: https://www.amazon.com/Collage-Picture-Frame-Displays-Landscape/dp/B00YHJY8AI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1499012745&sr=8-4&keywords=picture+frame+multiple+photos on the desk. One space was the same picture/names/phone# as is in the listing (in case I needed to call them), a reminder to call 911 for emergencies with the property address in another space, a request to tell them if we did NOT want breakfast, and a reminder for something else too. It was quite nice. She also had the right amount of interaction for us: We let ourselves in the side yard gate with the key code, then let ourselves into the room that had a private exterior entrance. After we’d had some time to settle, she dropped by to introduce herself and inquire if we wanted breakfast in the morning, and show us how to run the jacuzzi.

If we stay there again I might get bold and ask to see their studios (they work from home.) She is an artist who makes prototypes/molds for glass works (such as for Lennox) and the husband is an illustrator with clientele such as Disney.

1 Like