This Host Will Be a Guest

I just used my SH $100 coupon to book a one night stay in the Southern part of the state on Fri June 30th. I’m sure the Host (also a SH, and yest that was important to me) is now worried that a SH will be staying. lol

This will be my first trip as a Guest. It was very interesting being on the other side of the transaction this time. I found myself looking for certain types of properties: Whole home, no pets (I have a dog and she lives in the house with us, but I don’t want to sleep where others have had pets - I am allergic to cats) and one where the House Rules aren’t so rigid that I felt unwelcome. I also was particular about the bedroom pictures - some people’s bedding looked quite old and unattractive - I started imaging dust (which I also am allergic to.) I also liked that the Host has a mini-fridge and coffee-maker in the room, in an attractive cabinet.

Anyway, thought I’d share. It’s quite an education sampling both sides of the equation!

2 Likes

Isn’t that interesting?

I have been a guest once. And tonight was looking for a place near a family funeral and hence, huge get-together. I have just decided that I can not live off-the-grid without a shower while getting ready for a large family gathering. [Yea, they are pretty judgmental!]

Of course, this is during the two months of the year that people actually want to travel to this area.

1 Like

Turns out that skanky carpet from the 1970’s is a no go as well.

2 Likes

My older bedding is just as clean as new. It’s not worn or tattered. My house is clean, furniture is old, but again functional and I won’t care if your dog jumps on it, or your kids don’t wash after an ice cream cone. That’s the joy of leather.
I’ve been a guest twice. One was all modern, new and shiny. The other was part hippie, IKEA and old Europe. The bedding was clean, but older, not expensive! But clean and bright. The host is what makes the difference, the new and shiny was functional but the experience was disappointing as the hosts didn’t know how to host. The older, funky place had super hosts and I didn’t miss the fancy tat that goes for modern decorating.
I’ve stayed in 5 star hotels and shared a hostel room with many strangers. The shiny new Airnb didn’t match any of these.

3 Likes

Two cats live in my house, but are kept out of the guest rooms. I host people all the time who claim they are deathly allergic to cats, and I’ve have had no complaints or problems.

1 Like

There was a thread here once, some time ago, titled “Hosts are the worst guests”.

And I believe this could be true.

I have an Airbnb host staying with me right now, who is a Mr-Know-All and certainly not like the usual, average guest. I found that guests are usually very friendly, kind, even shy, listening to me and certainly respecting me being the boss, i.e. the host in my own home.

Guests who are also hosts are nothing like that. They feel very much superior and while I try to get along with all the guests I get, I certainly am not looking forward to receiving hosts as guests. In fact, I would appreciate having an exception put in place. All guests may use IB, except for guests who are also hosts, whom I would like to vet thoroughly before accepting.

Of course, this doesn’t apply to all the wonderful hosts on this forum. Any and all of you are welcome to stay with me at any time.

4 Likes

I have hosted a number of other hosts. My second guest ever was a host. I was already too petrified to know to be extra petrified. Anyhoo, they have all been lovely–save one. They asked for early check-in (okay), left an hour late (“our checkout time is noon…” and not okay because I almost always have same day turnovers), and then left dishes for me and didn’t follow my checkout request regarding linens. I was ticked.

We’ll be traveling for three weeks in September, and we’re doing it through Airbnb. I feel like an idiot saying I have no Airbnb experience as a guest, but @TuMo is right–experiencing searching and inquiries from the other side of the fence is quite the eye-opener. I’ve already had a host cancel on me in Nashville for a family emergency.

The key to being a good guest as a host is to take the location at face value and not expect your host to handle things exactly as you would. Be the kind of guest you want to have.

4 Likes

I tell all my listeners being a guest will make you the best host ever. And being a guest in a shared space even more. You’re going to feel all of the angst of a guest.

You think something is clear when it isn’t, looking for a place, not getting responses, not hearing from hosts, EVER. And you will also see how many BAD hosts are out there.

Now you will understand the idiotic questions. And how Airbnb doesn’t really make it easy for a guest.

You might also get some good tips. Good luck. And please keep us informed.

5 Likes

I don’t think anyone should be allowed to be a Host until they have had at least a dozen experiences as a Guest. That way they have some ideas about what they want to do with their own listing.

I don’t mind hosts, even Superhosts, as guests. If you’re a good host and have represented your listing correctly, you’re doing all you can do. We don’t all do things alike, and that’s what makes us interesting. I’ve never had a condescending host/guest.

2 Likes

Same here and I think that both you and I, Ken, could deal with a condescending attitude pretty well :slight_smile:

Wouldn’t it be great if there was some definite criteria for hosts? It would prevent that ‘I’m just trying Airbnb’ type of host that are clogging up the site for everyone.

Although they do tend to drop out quite naturally - eventually. At one time, there were over a dozen Airbnb listings on my short (.6 mile) street. There are far fewer now. In fact, in the next building to me, there were four at one time. Now there’s just one. I suppose in some way it’s gratifying to think that the ‘trying Airbnb’ people drop out so quickly!

Had my first host as a guest last weekend.
He arrived a day after the rest of his group…
Broke my first wineglass…
Red wine all over the table cloth and spillage on carpet and furniture …
Turned on all the heating in the house and blew the circuit…

Left a five star review and a to do list to make it better…

2 Likes

I’ve had several hosts as guests. They are just as bad as regular guests and don’t read the listing, rules or reviews. And in my experience don’t leave 5-star reviews, even though everything is disclosed in the listing. My most recent guest-host, was here two nights ago. He arrived later in the evening that originally planned (okay), asked for a late check out (which I granted), read rules but failed to properly secure the property when he left (left a window open, which I specifically mentioned should be closed when he leaves the house). He was nice enough, and I was willing to be flexible and overlook the open window, so I gave him 5-stars. Did he return the favor? Nope. No acknowledgement, not one word about any help or accommodations that I made… sigh… just venting… But really I just want to ask him… Why wasn’t it a 5-star stay for you?

ROFL. This is exactly my experience with “hosts as guests”. They are always leaving to-do lists for me.

I was a guest 10 times before becoming a host. I learned a lot from staying with really great hosts in Seatle,WA and Kanab, UT. I also learned what I didn’t like about being a guest and tried to incorporate that when I eventually started hosting. Also staying in your rental is always a good idea.

Looking forward to becoming SH!

2 Likes

Amen to that! Something more than wanting to get rich quick with as little outlay in money and effort as possible!

1 Like

One of my Airnb stays was marvellous overall. Yes there were some things that fussy people might mark a host down, ie dusty baseboard, older bath tub which many would say needs replacing. However, I had a clean, comfy bed, place to unpack my stuff, a bedside light and table, helpful and cheerful hosts. The location was perfect. All at a great price, so I gave 5 stars for everything. One day I saw them turning over a room, duvet cover was changed to a freshly laundered and ironed one.
As hosts we shouldn’t be being picky about minor things and refrain from telling them how to host. After all you are on a trip, not being an Airbnb inspector.

3 Likes

The basics are pretty good criteria for hosts. Clean place, comfortable place to sleep (whether bed or couch or futon or air bed), a place to shower or bathe, clearly written and honest listing, method to get in and out of the location.

1 Like

Double Amen! There are some hosts out there who seem to believe that every cent they receive from a guest should be pure profit, and there will be no cost of doing business.

On the Airbnb sub Reddit I saw a post from a poor guy who was renting an Airbnb room for his summer internship. One reason he picked the place was that there was AC listed as an amenity. After one day, the host was nagging him that he shouldn’t use the AC, because her utility bill would go up. This was a city known to be very hot and muggy.

She said that at the end of the summer she was going to look at the electric bill and charge him for any amount exceeding what she usually pays.

NO, lady. That’s not how it works.

1 Like

I had hosting a host sometime, Luckly they are great guest and write a very good review.

This year, I am going to visit NZ. When I search airbnb house I found myself love to read house description that not to long ( hit at the point ) pictures that clearly show space ( some host post to much view than a space) and Cancellations is not strict.

All of this reflex my listing. I make my description shot and put useful information to traveler.