The negotiators are getting worse out there

I got one on HomeAway a few weeks ago.

I’m a Golf Biomechanist returning to Kiawah for work. I know it is substantially less, but if interested in filling a last minute void, I can rationalize 1200.00 - all in. This wonderful house will lure my wife, 7 year old girl, & 2 small (well behaved) Ridgebacks. I have rented dozens of VRBO for work over the years (Kiawah, Jackson Hole, Nantucket, Monterey) and I always take premier care of my rental. Hope this offer does not offend. Thank you for your consideration. DAVE www.GOLFxxx

Bear in mind “all in” for his 7 night stay was quoted at $2,475.47, without the dog fee. I was not offended but, Sorry buddy, I can rationalize not paying your greens fees at the resort. Golf Biomechanist, indeed!

2 Likes

Have to wonder if he bargains with all the dozens of VRBOs over the years.

1 Like

Well he wasn’t lying when he said he could provide you an in-kind donation receipt for tax purposes. What he didn’t mention is that likely you would not receive a tax deduction when it comes to donating time at your vacation rental. The tax laws are a bit complicated with that. But not all types donations, etc. to charity are automatically a tax deduction.

1 Like

in kind services are not actually tax-deductible most of the time.

2 Likes

Funny how he says what he “can rationalize” - don’t you love how they always try to throw in a compliment too, just to stroke your ego?

2 Likes

I wonder if this BS actually works with some people?

The tax deduction part?? Sure, a lot of people buy into it. A lot of Americans just assume that if they donate time/services etc. then they can at least deduct the fair market value from their income. Then they are in for a big surprise. But they still have that in - kind donation receipt to use for tax purposes…just as promised :smile:

1 Like

We are often contacted by persons with social media accounts and calling themselves “influencers.” One that I turned down immediately grew hostile. Just this morning I received an inquiry from an “influencer” with less followers on Instagram than we. Declined. It’s laughable. This one got rather smug and informed us that she is a lawyer and does not need freebies or reduced rates. Is this type of solicitation prohibited in Airbnb’s TOS?

1 Like

Yes it is. I would report anyone who solicited you like that.

The seek a free stay in exchange for a write up on their blog. Just to clarify, it is against TOS?

Yes!!! They can’t do that, and even if you wanted to, how would you offer a free stay. There are some bloggers we know of, (they were actually banned from this site after I got into it with them and they somehow found my listing and posted my bad reviews here!!) they were called the B S travelers, or something along that line… they would post stories on their awful blog about how to get refunds from hosts.

In your situation, it would be better to solicit a bona fine travel publication for a story about you guys, rather than give something away to a blogger of unknown quality.

It’s not ethical for travel writers to solicit complimentary stays or meals by promising an article in return. I’m a writer for a major travel guidebook and it is in our contract that we would be dismissed for doing this.

1 Like

@KIKC

Kiawah Island?
Your normal rate is surprising (in a good way) for Kiawah in August.
For the $1,200 he offered, he would be lucky to get a camper spot.

Bloggers in the current world are not the same as professional writers, and no doubt do not have to abide by the ethical constraints of journalists. I can not find anything in the TOS that forbids negotiating price or trying to create a barter [i.e, review for stay.] From a business point of view, I doubt AirBNB would like it if you booked a guest for zero dollars. Where is the money for them?

I would probably report these people, but I suspect making such proposals isn’t really forbidden, per se. Unsavory of course.

The “influencer” bragged to me that she was able to book a nearby property. A person we know. And some additional properties. I informed her it’s against Airbnb’s TOS and generally unethical. She smugly wished me a wonderful holiday season.

1 Like

Well shashed reported she was met with hostility upon refusal.

Soliciting for things other than a stay booked through Air is against their TOS. Not sure why you would think they would be okay with it. Negotiations are allowed but are unsavory, to use your term.

When I allowed a friend of the family to stay, I booked him in at $10. That is the lowest price they will allow.

Bloggers give us pros a bad name but I think in most cases what they are trying to do is pretty transparent.

IG influencers are a ginormous joke.

Any reason you just didn’t take cash ?

I did. He paid me for the stay but wanted to leave a review, so I had to actually book him in at $10 to get the review.

I don’† recall even thinking that. Clearly, I didn’t communicate clearly enough.

My experience with the old media have been less than impressive, I have offered to check their piece but they never want to , my impression it is more about the word count.

Never had an Influencer contact me, well are we all not Influencers in our own way?