Temperature of thermostat

I have to wonder why she won’t use the heater. Also, can you block the a/c vent into her room? If she keeps the door closed it will be at least a couple of degrees warmer in there.

Temperature is difficult in a shared home with central air. I’m comfortable at 75F in the summer, but many guests from Europe find that terribly cold, very uncomfortable. Just closing the a/c vents only makes a change of a degree or so.

I recently added my indoor temperature to my listing, to avoid having guests feel uncomfortable.

I also have a good strong fan in each room. In the winter there’s a space heater in each room because I keep the central around 65 and some people are chilled by that.

I take the heaters out in the summer because I can’t afford to pay for both a/c and heat at the same time.

1 Like

Well…that’s not your problem. I think it’s a big red flag that she’s making excuses to stay. How will you get rid of her in 96 days, when she has tenant’s rights?
I also think she’s not right in the head because all she has to do is open the window in her room and :star2:! It’s not freezing cold anymore.

I’d be more likely to call Airbnb & have her moved than play dominance games in my own home for months. Dealing with crazy ain’t worth the :moneybag:

@AirbnbDallas : Here are some of your statements:

“This has been by far the most difficult guest I’ve ever had.” [There it is in a nutshell.]

“When I suggested she find a more suitable accommodation she told me it’s hard to find a place with another woman.” [And how is that YOUR problem…]

“She became irate…” [Whaaat?! She is a stranger, a “guest” in your home and you cannot allow her to take the liberty of displaying such a reaction!]

“I want her to leave…and she seems unwilling…” [And whose home is it?!]

I just don’t know what is holding you back from booting her out. The A/C is only the first of many more issues you will be facing with her. Surely the money isn’t worth giving up your previous calm existence and peace of mind.

3 Likes

If you want here out, call Air BNB and cancel the reservations. I would boot her ASAP so renters right issue dont start to kick in. Tell them she is making you feel ‘unconfortable’. They will cancel the reservation, you will get paid for the nights she stayed, and they will refund her the unstayed nights.

A food thermometer is a thermometer that is meant to be stuck in food to determine its temperature. It can also be used to tell the air temperature. I have a Thermapen which I use for cooking all the time. I also use it to check the temperature inside my car to determine if it’s safe to take our dogs with us.

http://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4

The current temperature in our house is 69 degrees Fahrenheit. A few degrees cooler would be ideal for me.

Life is too short to spend 96 days of your life with a stranger who makes your life miserable. It seems to me that you have been more than willing to meet halfway. I hope you will take our advice and get her out before it gets worse.

You’re talking about only $44/day(?!) and already a few days into a 3-mo. stay, you and your guest are having words over the temperature of your place?! Hel-lo-oh…if neither of you are comfortable with the other’s preferred temp, it doesn’t bode well for a successful cohabitation. It will turn into a war because there will be no middle ground.

Think about this as well, whatever other issue develops between you two concerning the conditions of the rental, she-who-is-a-law-student will make a mountain out of a mole hill on every aspect. You will be lucky to come out of it unscathed and with the full amount of rent you are expecting. Trust me.

Oh boy. What a silly situation that you need to get out of ASAP. Personally I’d be in the guest’s camp. My teeth would be chattering at 63f or 65f. In Palm Desert where humidity is low I keep the ac at 78f and it feels just fine.

But if you’ve got high humidity and sun pounding through those windows, you’ll have temperature differences in other rooms. Some could be very cold.

If you haven’t done so, invest in some window film to filter out the infrared rays. It’s amazingly effective and will help equalize room Temps.

1 Like

I linked this thread to your new post. I have a question @AirbnbDallas. Why did you delete many of your posts on this thread just now?

2 Likes

I’d like to know that too.

1 Like

She’s realized that this forum is visible in public search and doesn’t want the previous posts about “law student” floating around out there.

Ah, of course! Then it might interest her to know that moderators can still see the posts :slight_smile:

I thought anyone could see them until they are truly deleted after 24 hours. Maybe it’s only forum members of certain trust levels.

1 Like