Temperature of thermostat

Please help. I’m renting a room- not a sauna.

I had to convert to Celcius to understand the issue.

As mentioned in other topics, I am very aware of room temperatures for my guests and I have limited them to avoid energy consumption. (Heating in winter goes to 72F and in summer it is switched off. In the past there were Arab guests trying to get the heat in the room up to 82F in mid summer)

But 68F is not that hot. And depending on the activities 63-65 can be a bit chilly.

A body can get used to lower ambient temperatures, but it takes time.

The only option you have is to request her to lower the temp to 67F and keep it like that for 2 weeks, when she has gotten used to it, try asking her to lower it to 66F.

1 Like

63º is ridiculously cold!

And yes, I lived in Dallas for three years. I know that it is warm there. Never ever did we try to maintain a temperature like that.

2 Likes

It is, so I don’t really understand the question. What is the actual temperature in the house? The host wants the thermostat to be at 65 and the guest wants it to be at 68? Is that really worth bothering about?

1 Like

We keep out house 72-74 all year around. I think it’s pretty normal. Some times I found some guests like to be as cool as 68 but not 63,65 that’s too cold.

Rule #2134567 – 96 day rentals are 'way! too long. You should have done something like 15 days, renewable…

Agree 65F is 'way too cold; the OP can’t be a real Texan. Real Texans think air conditioning is for sissies and New Yorkers!

I don’t know about Jacquo, but on my coast of Florida we keep the house AC set to 79/80. I was in Dallas a couple weeks ago, and the brother-in-law who has lived there 30 years, keeps his multimillion dollar home a comfortably cool 76F.

Get some thermal curtains for that west-facing window and stop wasting electricity on frigid air!

On the other hand, it is your house. If she doesn’t like it at that temperature, she can cancel her 96 day stay and go somewhere else, and you’ll be out the money. If you want to keep her business, you might want to set the temp at the nationally suggested temp of 68F (which I personally think is far too cold).

There is no Texas or national standards for temperatures in rental properties; that flat out ridiculous! Tell her to go ahead and take you to court over the issue; a small claims judge would laugh the case off his bench!

1 Like

So do I :slight_smile:

We don’t have AC. We used to have a single wall unit but when it stopped working, we decided not to replace it. The cost was one issue and the environment was another.

Yes, but you were asked about the temperature above and didn’t let us know.

Actually, you have received one important fact. That is that humans, be they guests or hosts, have different opinions of what the ideal temperature should be.

1 Like

Not going to lie I have been known to put our AC at 16C on especially warm nights :flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed:

Um… I am beyond confused. @KenH can you explain, since you are the resident chef?

71 would be far too cold for me. 77 would be tolerable but I’d be wearing long sleeves. You see, everyone is different.

1 Like

@jaquo For kicks… what is the current temp in your house? Mine is a cozy 67F :joy::joy:

So I understand your concern, and my default thought as a host is to ‘suck it up’ and accommodate, but you have someone staying for 3 months. That’s a long time.

Personally, I think your desired temperature of 63 is unreasonably cold. 68-72 degrees is considered by most to be reasonable room temperatures. I like it on the lower end, but some guests like it warmer. I have some guests now who have it at 74, which is borderline uncomfortable for me, but I have a fan in my bedroom and sleep well.

If you can keep one or two of your rooms cooler with a window unit or fan, then maybe that’s the way to go. Just my thoughts

2 Likes

I don’t have a thermometer in my apartment but the phone tells me that it’s 78. It will be in the eighties later as it’s not yet 9 am here :slight_smile:

1 Like

@jaquo Methinks you should not visit San Francisco without a parka as apparently it is 51F here … if we get to 60 today Im wearing shorts :joy_cat::joy_cat::joy_cat:

Yikes! I’d need more than a parka. :smile:

2 Likes

Long underwear! Maybe two pair.

3 Likes

Welcome to summer in SF!! :snowman:️:snowman:️:snowman:️

2 Likes

Buy a proper thermometer with large display and hang it in the guest room.

I have thermometers in all my rooms to avoid discussion about rooms being hot or cold.

1 Like

I live in El Paso and I can’t imagine trying to get a home to actually be mid-60’s using AC. But your preferences and electric bill are beside the point. This law student does seem unreasonable in her unwillingness to use a heater or put on a hoodie. I think you may have to tell her to find a different accommodation for the summer. I’m sure there are many people who would appreciate someone who likes it a bit warmer.

P.S. This post makes me very glad I have window units instead of central refrigerated air.

1 Like