Surprised who my most difficult guests are!

Yes – Michigan is still affordable! Here in Colorado, the real estate market is still crazy. What I have read is that the home prices will start to soften out and plateau over the next three years, but I don’t think that will be true for Boulder County as Google and other companies are moving here. Do lots of research before you move anywhere! Best of luck :slight_smile:

Yes, fortunately I know that few Americans fit the horrible cliché ;), as I said earlier, I had no concerns with the American families I hosted (and I don’t have an elevator or AC), and I often have casual talks with perfectly nice Americans sitting at the next table in cafés or restaurants.

I wonder why!

Maybe because you give guests a five star hotel experience for hostel prices. Bully on you. Why can’t we all be this great?!!!

1 Like

It’s very affordable here, lol. Even with all the upgrades and such, I could still probably sell my 4,000 sq ft manor house in 2 acres for maybe $250,000

Wow that sounds wonderful, especially the space. Your place is probably at the top of the market, too. I’ve probably said this before, but the ho-hum house next door sold a few months ago for $750,000 or thereabouts. It’s on a 130’x50’ lot like most around here.

I like my house, the weather, and I’ve got family responsibilities. I grew up here, but I’m getting fed up with the density and the noise that comes with it. Most households have 1 to 3 dogs; the average is 2, so you can imagine what that sounds like. In fact I just came in from having a meltdown over the neighbors dog that wakes me and everyone else up just about every morning. I pounded on her fence and did some hollering. She’s not home so it did no good. A neighbor was going to text her. Sigh. Thanks for letting me vent.

So back to your lovely home in that idyllic setting, I wish I could pick up my place and move it there! Or to Boaz, Kentucky where the people in the front house are from. They have family property in the country.

1 Like

@J_Wang. I understand growing up in a place and wanting to stay there, that’s what I did. But if I lived in SoCal, I’d start planning my exit. I’d sell my place travel the country checking places out that I’d like to live. I love many parts of New Mexico and it’s still affordable in many areas.

Thanks for your excellent advice. I’m afraid the property isn’t mine to sell at this time. It will bring in a ton of rent, especially if I vacate my back house and go live as a renter somewhere else. New Mexico does sound nice, but I’m not really a desert type. I need green.

It’s absolutely true I am sorry to say. I am American…a life-long Californian…and our people are the most entitled, obnoxious, ethnocentric people on the planet. I HATE running into other Americans when I am abroad, because part of the reason to travel outside the USA is to get AWAY from Americans. Lol.

Honestly, i host here in Los Angeles, and some of my worst guests have been from within the States. But, some of my best have as well, so we are not all bad. Just brace yourself when hosting Americans. You’ll find travelers from New York, L.A., and Miami to be more tolerable as they tend to be more worldly. Those from places like Texas (Ick) and what we call ‘middle America’ are going to be the worst. They have no sense of what’s going on outside their ruts and have been raised with the capitalist ‘the customer is always right’ mentality. So, yeah…they will complain a lot. If it’s any consolation, I am sure that other potential guests looking at your space will see that pattern of complainers are from the USA and will take their comments with a grain of salt. Hehe.

I must agree with you, they are the best and yes sometimes can be the worst, you never know. And yes, I been shocked how those from cities, like NYC, Chicago or CA cities (SF and LA for example) have been the very best, perhaps because they are more traveled and just plain cool. There have been some uncouth types from …‘other areas’. LoL

At the moment I’m hiding out in my bedroom to avoid a fussy guest that I had stay here before. But the first time I put up with it and by doing so I established the expectation. He’s staying one night. He arrived yesterday. He’s deaf, by the way, and Pakistani American. Right after he got here he motioned me into the bathroom and pointed at a couple of ants. I wiped them up and that was it.

He’s a runner, so like last time he got up at 6am for his run and now he’s back doing laundry to wash his running clothes. He lives 25 miles away. Why not take the shorts and socks HOME?

Now he just texted me: “Do you have anything to eat? I’m hungry.” What??? In my listing I show a tray of snacks: fruit, protein bar, tea/coffee. I’m texted him back to please help himself to any of those things. Last time, I foolishly made him oatmeal, a homemade chapati and I forget what else.

He requested to stay a couple of weeks ago and I made an excuse. WHY I accepted this time I have no idea! Live and learn. I can’t wait to see his review.

Why is he booking a place 25 miles from home. Just based on your last two guests I’d make a rule that says “no locals.”

1. No washer/dryer or 2. Why should he when he can use yours for free?

How was his review the first time?

WOW!

That would probably get you a 900 square ft. 1 bedroom condo here…

With a 1980’s kitchen and no garage.

1 Like

K9, our resident dog expert, can address this and correct me. I offer this only because this is what the agility trainer and Cesar Milan follower recommended. The bark collar. These are not shock collars. They only send a vibration when the dog barks. If it escalates, another, slightly higher vibration… In the case of my sister’s dog, it completely cured him of chronic barking in a week. That was a deal breaker as he was a test foster rescue. The trainer told us the collar is literally the best answer to chronic barking. Petco has them for about $85.

Perhaps leave a nice note on your neighbors door. People have no idea what their dogs do when they leave the house. You should not have to listen to it all day and night. If that doesn’t work call police. There may be a noise ordinance in your area.

I just checked. He’s 175 miles away. He lives in Ridgecrest. It’s a 3 hour drive according to MapQuest. So I guess he doesn’t qualify as a local.

I do the “free laundry” because it’s a big draw for some; and I don’t mind it when the guest is here for at least a couple of days. The one-day wonders like this guy is another story.

I’m tempted to change my listing to a 2-day minimum. What do you think?

His first review wasn’t all 5 stars. I can’t remember, and I didn’t really care. He’s very picky/fussy and I didn’t want to get my blood pressure up :)))) As it is I’m hovering at 82% 5 stars, so this may be the tipping point to getting my SH status revoked, and I really don’t care. However, I may be surprised. We shall see. :slight_smile:

Oh, and don’t you think it’s a bit much to ask if there’s any food?

How strange. Wasn’t Ridgecrest where they had the fires? Maybe he’s in town for a running event. I wouldn’t change your settings to two day because that will discourage a lot of bookings. You could just answer him, and say, sorry food isn’t included in the rental rate. And then in your listing copy, just add “food and provisions are the responsibility of the guest and are not provided. Please plan accordingly.”

Thank you for your very sensible and intelligent response. What you’re suggesting is, of course, what most reasonable people would do, but most of the dog owners around here at not reasonable or civil. In fact, like many do in my part of the world, they get angry. I’ve been through it all with the reporting the noise nuisance to the city. They are swamped, so they send out a postcard asking for compliance. If they don’t, then they get threatened with a fine I believe, but you and other neighbors have to put together a case and present it to the city. It’s a long process.

This particular woman did finally take in her nervous, barking dogs and it was not bad for a while, but now it’s started up again. But she’s just one offender. A couple doors down a woman has 3 of the same kind of dog that drives everyone nuts. Then I’ve got another huge dog in back that barks on and off. Then there’s Linda with 4 dogs in a little yard a few houses away. And when someone anonymously complains they all thing it’s me because I’m pretty vocal.

It’s worse on weekends because everyone is out walk their dogs which sets off all the neighbors’ dogs.

p.s. The police won’t respond to nuisance dog barking. That’s Animal Control, and they’re only open during business hours. And I have left very nice notes on many doors and got zero response. I’m hoping my new, extremely nice neighbors with a new baby will speak up.

lol!!! It’s pathetic, and quite true! Where are you? I’m in Long Beach “Belmont Heights” area.

Gosh, super difficult and frustrating situation as it disrupts the peace for all. Here in my neighborhood we have HOA rules that a dog cannot bark, howl, bray, whine, etc for more than 10 minutes. If they do the owner can be subject to fines. I just wrote about my former neighbor’s godawful parrot on the other thread about construction noise. At least you don’t have a LOUD OBNOXIOUS parrot wolf-whistling at your guests!!!

If you don’t get a lot of one nighters that you really like…you could try it and switch back if your bookings plummet. I think it’s total BS for someone to say “I’m hungry” to a host. What is he, three?

2 Likes

Lol! - I would have been tempted to say that your food is only for the ants!

3 Likes