Storing bags for guests pre check-in and and post check-out?

That would only make sense if you have a strict cancellation policy. I currently don’t - I have moderate. If they decide they don’t like the reservation setup, they could easily cancel.

I’m not sure whether it makes sense for me to withhold pertinent information in those circumstances.

I had this happen. Even though their bags were on the lanai and out of the way, the next guests had to walk past them. Kind of intrusive.

Not only that, this group came for their bags and then returned the snorkel gear hours and hours after check out. This snorkel gear needed to be cleaned and set up for the next guests. Never again will I let guests push me around like that. They also barbecued at midnight and thought nothing of slamming doors going in and out and then clanking plates and dishes during wash up. Clueless.

2 Likes

Hi Faheem…my reply time is a bit sluggish today…it’s been an up and down day.
Yep, I have a strict cancellation policy, though it is not as strict as I would like. (Whoever heard of refunding 50% of the rental amount up to a week before occupancy? Ridiculous!)

I’m not sure what you mean about withholding pertinent information? Surely you don’t maintain that information about luggage storage (outside of the allowable reservation times) is information that is ‘owed’ to the guest.

No, it isn’t. But it might help to head off people who think they are entitled to such a service. I’ve had two people who asked about this. One of them said “you have to let me keep my luggage there”.

Also, this morning the delightful French gentleman who has been staying with us, and who was scheduled to check out today (see the other thread about him) threw a fit and started abusing me when I told him I could not keep his luggage for him after checkout. He then stormed out. I hope I don’t see him again.

So, people like this will (hopefully) see that line in my listing (now in two places) and perhaps decide not to book with me. And that’s fine - I don’t need the aggravation.

However, feedback is welcome on the exact wording of the line. It’s

Under no circumstances can we be responsible for guest luggage before check-in or after check-out.

@konacoconutz said (if I understood her correctly) that she thought it was a bit harsh. Thoughts about different wording appreciated.

Oh-My-Gosh, faheem…he ‘threw a fit and started abusing’ you? Egads, what are guests evolving into! I hope you had your gatekeeper slam the gate after him.

I agree that your sentence needs tweaking but I’m not very good at coming up with the most appropriate wording at times like this. If you really think the storage issue should be addressed in your listing, perhaps something along these lines:

"Please note: Luggage may not be stored on the property prior to check-in or following checkout ~ no exceptions.

That’s what I do, especially if it’s a nice guest. Seems we have a similar set up. I’ve got my double car garage just below that’s left open during the day. If they want to leave anything I let them, but I get the key from them before they leave.

However, if I were a host without an outside storage area I would never let guests leave luggage that I’d be responsible for after check-out time.

If I don’t have a guest the night before, I always let the upcoming guest know they are free to check in whenever they like. I leave a “secret key” and I can take off.