Storing bags for guests pre check-in and and post check-out?

That was probably it. I have a great photo they took of him during the marathon. He loved Hawaii.

Yesā€¦ it gets into your heart and soul and doesnā€™t want to leave!

2 Likes

Nope, never. And I donā€™t do early check in.

Basically, one has to run their business in a way you that really works for you, the business owner. Otherwise, it canā€™t truly be done well and kept up, and then leads to burn out.

Nope, never. And I donā€™t do early check in.

Basically, one has to run their business in a way you that really works for you, the business owner. Otherwise, it canā€™t truly be done well and kept up, and then leads to burn out.

Not more than one shower a day!! Whatā€™s that all about ? I can understand most of your rules but personally I would avoid your place !

Youā€™ve got duplicate messages here.

Start with spin classes this winter - ideally with an instructor who is a cyclist. Then in the Spring get out on the bike 2-3 times per week and gradually add in more hills and more distance. Youā€™ll be ready to roll for the August ride in 2017 :grinning: It looks like a challenging route and scenery is gorgeous!

1 Like

So, as a followup to this thread, I got two requests within 12 hours to store baggage after check out. They both received a firm no. One of them looked like this:

I have no problem to check out any time but you have to let me keep my luggage there, as my flight is midnight on Friday.

I just received a followup from this person.

but my flight is in the middle of the night. i canā€™t be lugging my luggage around, can you help, i just need a place to keep it until around may be 7 pm?

Iā€™m trying to think of a polite way to say - not my problem. Or should I suggest that he stay an extra night?

Iā€™ve just added a line to my listing (in House Rules), which say:

Under no circumstances can we be responsible for guest luggage before check-in or after check-out.

Does anyone else mention this in the listing? If so, what words do you use?

PS: I finally went with

I expect there are left luggage facilities available in the city. Though I donā€™t know of locations off the top of my head. You could ask at the airport.

Alternatively, you could book an extra night, and then check out in the evening.

I hope I didnā€™t sound too mercenary. Iā€™d also like to thank everyone on this forum for helping me grow a backbone. Particular thanks go to @konacoconutz and @cabinhost.

3 Likes

I looked the price up at the airport for past guests.

In my listing under Other Things to Note I state that I canā€™t accommodate baggage storage before check-in time.

1 Like

I dislike their tone! You have to let me store my bags. Like hell you doā€¦ Sorry for all the swearing lately. But Jeeze these guest antics are too much.

Iā€™m not sure about your wording. The first one sounds too harsh. The second one too wishy washy. Like there may be a chance for them to talk you into it.

I would save house rules for the really big things.

I might add to your copy, Sorry unable to store bags before or after check out. If you need to do this, I would suggest booking another night.

Something like that.

Hi @konacoconutz,

Iā€™m not sure which first and second you are referring to.

This has been coming up a lot. Iā€™ve actually added it to house rules, as well as other things to note.

Please excuse the stupid question, but what is my ā€œcopyā€?

Thank for the wording suggestion. Was it

Under no circumstances can we be responsible for guest luggage before check-in or after check-out.

that you thought was too harsh? It was just intended to be firm. I really donā€™t want to be responsible for strangersā€™ luggage, The idea makes me break out in hives.

As long as the message comes across clearly, I donā€™t think the exact wording matters. Anyone else care to weigh in?

If it is coming up a lot, add it to your house rules by all means. Copy = your listing description.

UPDATE: This woman was really nice and Iā€™m so happy I accepted not only her 1 night reservation on one of the biggest Horse Race weekends in the area, but also that I went out of my way to store her bike and bags for her. It was so worth it. She of course left me a nice review, but she also sent me a card in the mail thanking me personally, saying she would not have been able to take part in the event if she had not found an affordable place to stay (versus staying in the tents).
Iā€™m not a very good businessperson, as that card and knowing I helped her have an amazing vacation is worth way more to me than making sure Iā€™m booked 2 nights minimum in August!

4 Likes

Hi @brook2adks

Your guest sounds nice. In my limited experience, guests forget you exist once they have left, regardless what you do for them.

1 Like

Oh Iā€™m so glad @brook2adks! Iā€™ve been following that cycling event on Facebook since you told me about it. What a wonderful thing youā€™ve got going there in the Adirondacks!

1 Like

They donā€™t always start/stop in the same towns, or even go through the same towns each year, they try to mix it up a bit, but Iā€™ve heard from someone that they do plan on keeping my town in next years trek. And yes, that is just one of many amazing events that takes place up here in the 'daks :slight_smile: You should all come visit :slight_smile:

1 Like

yupā€¦truth.
In fact as a longtime host, I find it fascinating how pandering they are when they want you to accept their reservation. Then when they get here, are not that friendly or like you say, just check out without saying goodbye or anything. Yeah. Me too. Got your cash, goodbye.

2 Likes

I never allow guests to drop off their luggage before the check-in time or leave them after they check out.

If their arrival or departure time is incompatible with the check-in/checkout times, I let them know in advance that there is no luggage storage available in the unit and the housecleaner will not work around their bags when she preps the apartment. Most importantly, she does not want to be responsible or liable for their possessions, and I donā€™t blame her. (Also, she says guests would likely want to use the facilities when they return to pick up their bags.)

Although itā€™s possible to store bags on the balcony which would be out of the way of the housecleaner, it would be intrusive for the next guests to have the former guests enter their space to retrieve their stuff so, itā€™s no, no and no.

I do direct them to a local bag $torage $erviceā€¦

ā€¦and if they still whine about it, I just wring my hands and commiserate with them over their dilemma.

2 Likes

Hi @SandyToes,

Now, thatā€™s funny. So, do you have anything about this in your listing? Or even in the private information you give the guests?

Noā€¦the less unpleasant news at the outset, the better. I need to have them on the ā€˜hookā€™ first and get their initial deposit if itā€™s a booking on another advertising site, or if itā€™s an Air booking, I first accept their reservation and lock in their funds.

I do mention in my initial response to their inquiry that I will need to know their flight arrival and departure times and whether they plan to rent a car. That gives me all the pertinent info for the luggage situation.