South Florida Section

Thank you for your response. I’m a new host and, unlike you, I have not seen any seasonal fluctuations. However, I’m learning a lot from your valuable comments.

Dear Fellow South FL hosts,
I’ve been dropping bedding and towels at the laundromat and getting it back supposedly clean and folded. However, the last few loads have come back with stains. I can’t do the laundry myself because I really don’t have the time, so, besides dropping it off at a laundromat, what other inexpensive options do I have?

I would get at least 3 sets of bedding and do it myself on the weekends, because to be honest if I don’t inspect them carefully and pretreat there will be stains that set.

Carmen, thank you for sharing your tip; you are so right, the only way I can ensure that towels are clean is to do the work myself!

1 Like

I agree - multiple sets of sheets and doing your own laundry is the only way to go. Although I can turn around sheets, towels and the comforter in under two hours. But then when we change guests, I’m there to do the R&R, while my partner trundles off to her day job as a Consulting Pharmacist (I’m retired and live on my boat when not making breakfasts and cleaning up after guests).

I treat any stained stuff immediately (often before the guests get to the end of the street!) and then leave the stuff for a couple of days to do its magic. Because I have spares of everything (including throws, cushion covers, bathmats, napkins etc) then I can see to the laundry whenever it suits me.

By the way, I’m English and although I’ve been in the States for over twenty years, I still don’t fully understand what a comforter is! (‘Two countries divided by a common language’ :slight_smile: )

Is the comforter the duvet or the bedspread?

Can be allowed into the cool SF section?? Prettttyyyy Pleeeaasseee!! I grew up in Boca and can pass a test if needed :grinning:

@azreala - you could probably pass it better than I could :slight_smile:

1 Like

@jaquo HA. I have been gone for 20 years! I’m hoping to plan a trip this summer, since I hear that Airs are very cheap during the summer. :joy:

Unfortunately, yes they are :slightly_smiling:

I know this great little place in Fort Lauderdale though…

1 Like

I hear that place charges and exorberant cleaning fee and the host is a little crazy :joy::joy::heart_eyes:

That is absolutely true :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Neither. The duvet is like two pieces of bread and the comforter is like the turkey slice between the two slices of bread. this way you wash the light duvet but not necessarily the thick comforter.

So the comforter is the thing that goes right on top? Sorry, I’m still confused :slight_smile:

I blame it on me being English!

The comforter here in the US is the insert… I believe…LOL

So it’s the duvet? This is getting even more confusing :slightly_smiling:
I make beds the English/European way - bottom fitted sheet, duvet then bedspread. Does this make sense?

Yes, Americans don’t use ‘bed spreads’ . They use fitted sheet, flat sheet, then either a comforter (basically a duvet that does not require a cover bc you can wash it directly in a machine) or a Duvet. The latter can refer to MANY things here in the US. So I usually specify ‘Duvet Cover’ the linen that on the outside, that is removable and washable or ‘Duvet Insert’ the fluffy down part that goes INTO the ‘Duvet Cover’.

Blimey. Why the flat sheet? I just have the fitted sheet, duvet (in cover) then the decorative bedspread. On our own bed we do without the bedspread but it looks nice in the rental. I wonder if I can figure out a way to post a pic here?

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about bc that is also how we make our beds! US is weird.

Did it work???