South Florida Section

It must take longer to make the bed with a flat sheet too?

I donā€™t use a flat sheetā€¦and yes people complain. :joy:

I believe the proper US term for a bedspread is a coverlet

Coverlet! Thank you. Luckily Iā€™ve never had any complaints about our ā€˜European styleā€™ bedding. In fact, Iā€™ve had reviews about how great our bed is.

At home, we sleep on a queen duvet instead of a bottom sheet (so comfy!) then have a full duvet each on top. A bit weird maybe but so very comfortable! Easy to clean too - just pop the duvet covers in the wash, job done :slight_smile:

So the US terminology would be you sleep on a ā€˜featherbedā€™ ie the queen duvet. LMAO

I HATE non-euro bedding! Why so many sheets!! It makes no sense!

I agree! Of course, Iā€™m in South Florida so blankets arenā€™t involved. But it seems to me that so many people in the US make the bed with a fitted sheet, then a top sheet (flat sheet?), then a blanket or three, then a coverlet / bedspread /eiderdown /comforter or whatever.

How confusing! Sheet, duvet, bedspread. Job done :slight_smile:

1 Like

Americans mostly donā€™t know the term ā€œcoverletā€. As a kid growing in Ohio, up we had bottom and top sheets and a bedspread or light blanket. In winter we added a comforter or quilt.

Here in Florida its fitted sheet, flat sheet then a ā€œdecorative coverā€. We use Flat sheets because itā€™s too darn hot to sleep under any kind of decorative cover in the summertime. In AmerEnglish, a Bedspread is a light weight (lighter than a blanket) somewhat decorative cover; a Comforter is a usually quilted cover; and a Duvet is hardly understood. A Down Quilt or Comforter is extra thick filled with goose down or feathers and VERY warm.

To us a Duvet is a down comforter with removeable, washable cover ā€“ common in the Northern and Western U.S. where it gets deep and cold and white in winter. Virtually extinct down here in the American Tropics!

1 Like

@jaquo to make it even more complicated @KenH is completely right in Florida barely anyone has a clue what a duvet is, they mainly use a light weight comforter or bedspread. I remember my friends in primary school being very confused as to why we had no flat sheets and duvets!

So thatā€™s why I had to always buy them online!

I have a fitted and flat sheet and lightweight blanket. The decorative cover is also very light weight quilt That I use for the summer. The thicker comforter I use during the winter months. The decorative quilt (bedspread) is meant to be taken off.

It is too hot down here for anything as thick as a duvet.

1 Like

My own experience is that duvets keep you warm when itā€™s cold and cool when itā€™s hot. Iā€™ve always used them in South Florida (and we donā€™t have AC in our apartment, just fans).

Youā€™re all making me wonder if I shouldnā€™t have a duvet in the rental. Although we have had comments about the great bedding and a good nightā€™s sleep. The rental has central air and guests control the temperature themselves. Iā€™d imagined that a blanket would be too warm - warmer than the duvet!

I might have to rethink my bedding policy :slight_smile:

This whole sheet convo confused me too so I did some research.

Click here to see the difference

That link is pretty helpful! We live in the south where it gets hotā€¦comforters/duvets are used in the winter and quilts/bedspreads are used in the summer. Our rental has a fitted, flat and quilt/bedspread. We have comforters in the closet for the guest to use if they would like.

To switch the subject: did anyone experiencing the same as me?? I have almost no reservations for the past 2 weeks. How strange, last year I was booked back to back. I dropped my price to the very minimum I could go to, my summer prices and still very empty

Yana, tweeck you daily prices and change a little of the description it should bring you up further. Also submit new photos,use a wide angle lens with high resolution. I have gotten bookings up to july on aire and some on booking, but booking reservation like to cancel so I donā€™t trust them.

We also have a huge influx of new hosts which will be weeded out since folks are going to look for higher end at cheaper prices, in my case brand new south beach and downtown MIami. the ONLY thing selling my location is the keys and wedding venues.

I am not new to hosting if thatā€™s what you mean, I already did what you are suggesting many many times, and I follow pricing very closely. As I said, last year at this time I was very busy with higher prices than now.
Is this your first year?

YAna ā€“ I thought we were ā€œskunkedā€ for April until Easter weekend. Then in 1 day I got 3 bookings which fills us for two weeks! It was weird. though. Like someone had flipped a switch and said ā€œno guests in Aprilā€. Then someone flipped the switch back, and weā€™re nicely booked at full Season price.

I know, it can change in a second. I am just comparing to last year.Also, Easter came earlier this year.
I never have reservations ahead of time, very rarely. I am close to airport, so i get a lot of last minutes guests. For me, its as slow now as in August last year, but again, it can change within hours.

Yana I can see your place on Booking.com but I tried to see it on air and couldnā€™t find it. Maybe check to see if you find it incognito.