Should I reply to such a review?

My recent guest left the following review:

“Responsive host, extremely clean apartment and well located. However do not expect any luxury (basic furniture and small apartment)”

Should I reply to such a review?

I do not promote any luxury, my place is for travellers on a budget and the price reflects this. The apartment size is clearly written in the listing (50 square meters) and an apartment plan is in the photo gallery.

1 Like

No. They are just re-stating facts. Those reviews help you manage the expectations of future guests.

2 Likes

Thank you for you reply.

I would reply, for clarification. Your first sentence is fine, the second one comes across a little annoyed (which you have every right to be, but you don’t want everyone to know that). I would soften it a little:

Many thanks for your review. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay. I do not promote any luxury, my place is for travellers on a budget and the price reflects this. Best wishes

2 Likes

I wouldn’t. Partly for the reason mentioned by @KKC and also because by replying, you draw attention to the review.

Reviewers are only human and potential guests know this. For example, I received a great review that said that there was no need to have a rental car here because of public transport and uber/cabs. Just a few weeks later another review said that a car is essential for guests here. They are only stating their opinion and it’s up to potential guests to decide for themselves.

I would ignore it and I would also not write pleasantries I don’t feel. “Best wishes,” etc. I know you English :tulip::tulip::two_hearts:have been brought up to extend lovely manners but I just wouldn’t to someone who cracked me.

Now, as to replying, don’t. It just brings more attention to the review and extends the drama. Very tricky to write replies that do not sound defensive!

1 Like

I would replay " Thank you for your feedback. My place is for travelers on a budget and the price reflects this. It is a simply small but extremely clean place." It’s time to turn a review to an advertisement for you.

2 Likes

I’ve always replied to critical reviews because I want attention drawn to them. I want people to see the flaws in my listing and manage their expectations.

Whether you choose to reply depends on if you want the review buried or if you want it (and your response) very clearly seen.

Should you choose to reply I’d go with one of the suggestions already made which are all fantastic and in line with exactly what I have done in a similar situation.

3 Likes

I addressed a nasty guest review in the third person to explain the situation. "THis guest was… blah blalh…"
One of the few times I have ever responded. Remember, they are not probably ever going to read it. You are actually addressing the hosts reading and considering them.

1 Like

Nope, no reply. The review is accurate. So they know they’re going to get what is advertised.