Received a message from a man asking to book my shared apartment for a lingerie model photo shoot

I received a message from a man asking if he could use my shared apartment for a photo shoot with a lingerie model, apparently he would not require the room for the night just for the photo shoot for a few hours. This sounds really sketchy to me and I am not inclined to accept, has anyone else received strange requests like this?

Several times. I never accept them.

Yes, it would not be a good idea to accept. I just wonder what on earth “lingerie photo shoot” is code for

1 Like

:wink:

I’ve never had anyone specifically mention lingerie but I know what it suggests to me! And I am not a cheap motel where people can rent a room by the hour. (I’m sure that there are places locally that do though.)

I don’t approve any sort of photoshoots, filming, music videos etc. because I think that they would be disruptive. Our apartment sleeps two and I suspect that more than two people would be needed. (Unless it’s the aforementioned 'lingerie shoot!)

There could be all sorts of damages or overloads on the electricity/plumbing and I imagine that a special insurance policy would be needed too.

I have had a student film shoot and an art show booked via Airbnb. Both were good experiences. I would ask some questions, but I wouldn’t categorically turn down a lingerie photo shoot.

1 Like

I had a man instant book for a photo shoot and asked if he could move the furniture a little, etc. I thought it sounded creepy but he turned out to be a perfect guest and wrote us a fabulous review. He also offered to take photos of my husband and me (which we declined). I would happily host him again.

3 Likes

I’ve received a lot of such requests before and I’ve also always declined, due in most part to the fact that a photoshoot, more often than not, requires special equipment, lighting, etc, which translates to the use of more electricity. Also to be on the safe side, I don’t want to expose myself to the possibility of being involved in any law suit should some untoward event happen…let’s say should the model get into some sort of argument with the photographer, given that it’s a “sensitive” photoshoot. Maybe being overly cautious, but better safe than sorry. Exposing myself to something like that for a day’s income isn’t worth it to me.

I remember this being discussed before in another forum, and other hosts have mentioned allowing these kinds of shoots but charging a commercial (higher) fee for use of the location, and having a separate contract to cover for any damages or for added insurance. Also, ask a lot of questions. For example, ask where you can view his portfolio (if he is a legitimate photographer, he would have one. He might be someone that shoots professional and tasteful photos, and you might be ok with that), ask how old the model is, where the photos will be used/published, stuff like that… It’s a lot to think about and, in my case, I find it too much to bother with versus the returns I could get.

If you are looking to do this as an added source of income it could turn out to be lucrative for you, but as with all decisions, you gotta weigh the advantages and disadvantages of getting into something like this. :smile: trust your gut and good luck!

Or they can book for 3 days, not tell you that they are doing a photo shoot, and then leave having spilt some kind of powder foundation on your carpet…

I think it is probably total bullshit. They are using a rouse they think a male host would fall for.

1 Like

Thats an idea for a new listing startup…

photoBnB !!

3 Likes

I don’t understand why everyone seems so turned off by the idea of renting an Airbnb for a photoshoot (lingerie or not?). As long as it works with your schedule and doesn’t disrupt neighbors, many people have inquired with us about using our place for shoots, we only accept if they are willing to book the full night, or we agree on a price/time frame.

It’s not that uncommon, actually. I have done photoshoots in rented Airbnb’s as a model, as well.

1 Like

Well for the reasons listed above. Liability, extra utilities and just… Why would you want that extra commotion when you are really just renting a room and not a,location set. I don’t know how many of these requests are from professional companies but there is a reason why locations charge big bucks for shoots.

You can have the understanding that the shoot would only be in the rented space (room) and I don’t really understand where extra utilities would come into play? Liabilities?

When I’ve shot in Airbnb’s we bring camera gear and maybe some small lights, it’s never full equipment or a full team. When we’ve accepted these photoshoots I make it clear only two people are allowed in the room, the shoot must stay in the room, and the time frame for which they are paying. It’s been great experiences all around.

1 Like

Are you not a homeowner? You expose yourself to liability even with registered guests. While Air has a liability policy it will only cover named guests. You, as the host, would need to get an additional policy to cover decidedly commercial activities like the ones you describe. Also, yes, even small lights for shoots and professional gear use extra power and may load up circuits. I don’t see the benefit to the host at all. No offense but you sound a bit naive to dismiss these concerns.

I agree with you; I like it when we have events booked. We don’t have to deep clean the guest room, just the bathroom. They are here during a fixed amount of time, they clean up after themselves, even if they use more electricity because of lights they don’t take showers. I tell them that they must provide their own liability insurance for at least one million dollars of coverage.

3 Likes

I am a homeowner of two properties actually and I open myself to liability from any angle as an airbnb host. The assumption I am naive and dismissing concerns and haven’t openly thought through this is insane, I have always used the airbnb app to schedule these type bookings, the photographer and guests usually book the room and then leave the same day; the concerns on this forum seem to be that the woman will be naked in front of a camera or that the photographer is going to have sex with the girl in lingerie, ha? The concerns here seem to be that people find that, in itself, offensive, honestly…

Either way, the photoshoots I have experienced are 100% photographers that bring in their camera and at most a light, I don’t run around guarding the electrical outlets when photographers or other types of guests are in my home. The room comes with up to 6 outlets and as long as the photographer stays in that room and uses those plugs I won’t micro manage the room?

As a host you are naive to assume that you know fully what guests are plugging up and how much electricity or power they are using? hahah

2 Likes

You aRe totally making assumptions that hosts here are offended by nudity Which is not the point at all.

It’s totally your right to allow photography in your rental, but if you don’t get a liability policy or force them to get one, like Ellen wisely does, you are playing Russian roulette.

Frankly if I were a guest booking your place and this nonsense was going on in another room I would be totally annoyed.

I’m quite sure my guests, who are here to snorkel and sightsee, are not bringing high octane electronics and plugging it in my outlets (hahaah).

1 Like

We rent one room in our home, there would never be other guests. Frankly, i’m more concerned with spring break kids booking our room than photographers at this point in my two year hosting career.

2 Likes

There is no way to ensure that the photoshoot will be a simple one as you describe (with a few small lights and a couple of people) or a big production. Even if the host asks questions, some people still tell white lies or conveniently “forget” to mention otherwise important details to book a location for cheap. Not to mention professional location scouts trying to “save money” for a full production shoot. It has happened to other hosts before, maybe you just haven’t heard enough hosting horror stories. You are lucky it hasn’t happened to you.

Aside from being a host, I’m also a makeup artist so I also am quite familiar with what a shoot entails. As mentioned above, any combination of things can use up a lot of electricity: high-powered photoshoot lights (I am obviously not talking about your kind of lighting setup), makeup artist mirror lights and all heating equipment such as a hair dryer, straightening and curling irons, photography equipment, including laptops. Not to mention the heat of those lights and equipment bogging down your air conditioner. And if you live in a country that has one of the highest electricity rates per kilowatt hour, as I do, then that is a valid concern for a host. There is a reason why a lot of professional shoot locations require the production company to bring their own generators to power their shoots, or charge them extra for electricity.

Add the potential damages you set yourself up for… Equipment and furniture being moved around can scratch wooden floors and walls. More people in your house can potentially do more damage. Or stolen items. All of these are more likely to happen in a commercial activity such as a shoot than if you are renting to normal guests.

Also, unless you’re there to personally supervise the shoot, there is no easy way to ensure that the other crew members will honor the agreement between you and your photographer guest. I may be new to this forum but I am not new to hosting or the real estate market… And what I’ve observed time and time again is that unrelated guests (such as members of a crew) are more likely to break contract and not care as much in regards to the guest-host agreement let alone the host’s house rules, as opposed to, let’s say, families or a group of relatives or close friends who have decided to travel together.

Someone who rents out their entire home (as I do) as opposed to a single room obviously has a different criteria than you when choosing what to allow in their property. I wish you wouldn’t be so dismissive of other hosts and their concerns. Saying that you don’t understand why others would be so turned off by this implies “it isn’t such a big deal, what is the problem?” And that we have a stick up our tushies for not wanting to rent to photoshoots or photographers. It’s not as simple as it being a matter of “working with a host’s schedule and not disrupting neighbors.”

The concern I have is not so much about a woman being naked in front of the camera; and to correct your assumption, I am not in any way offended by that. It has nothing to do with that. I could care less if the models have sex with their photographer, honestly, as we are not so naive as to deny what regular guests do on our beds. There are just other risks that are cause for concern, legal and otherwise.

As I said previously, some hosts are comfortable with those risks (as you are, obviously) and earn a lucrative income from renting out their properties as shoot locations. Good for you. But some hosts want to avoid as much potential headache involved especially when the payout they are to receive isn’t commensurate to it all.

4 Likes

Can you do an experiment? Call your homeowners agent right now for your two Air properties. Tell them that not only are you doing Air but you are also allowing your guests to do commercial photo shoots. Ask about what is covered. Then get back to us with what they say.

2 Likes