"Problems with" hosts who profile guests from countries

Steve,

Are you trying to say that you are “white straight non politically male correct middle class americans/or western countries”? Your grammar is so atrocious that it’s impossible to believe that English is your first language.

3 Likes

Yes, do you object to that demographic or have a problem with that Demographic that I belong too? Nothing seems that wrong with my grammar, and anyway I’m not paid to write here I don’t have all day to write perfect grammar or fix up typing errors.

Hopefully, you WILL have time to read your posts before posting them, and think a bit about how they sound and how people are affected by them.

This is a caring, helpful community, charged with giving hosts a safe and comfortable place to talk and get advice, bitch a bit but mostly soothe. It is NOT, for me at least, a place to ‘warn’ others about entire countries or continents of people whom you have decided all share the same exact character ‘flaws’ that are somehow things you think make a religion, hair color, or country of residence so obvious that we need to be warned. Seriously, do you think the residence country of a guest has ANYTHING to do with how they will interact With you?

Consider this: your actions and character define how others interact with YOU. Perhaps you are creating these contentious moments?

5 Likes

I commented recently about how airbnb is going to have to figure out a way to deal with racial/ethnic profiling by hosts because they are going to be sued…then yesterday I read of a class action suit filed in Atlanta, GA by an African-American gentleman. So ABB says they are concerned and looking into the problem. I wonder what they will do? They already favor hosts who IB, as I do. Will they start reviewing declines? Add an easy way to flag a host that the guest suspects has racially profiled them?

IF wanting our community to be a respectful, caring, and safe place to discuss ACTUAL hosting issues without biased, hatred, and racist comments is considered ‘ridiculous’. Then yes, I am a terrible, free speech censor, who should essentially be a communist dictator.

I don’t know how we got side tracked on this debate about Politically Correctness, this thread has absolutely nothing to do with someone tip-toeing around an issue bc of PC reason. This topic was started to address the HATE filled rants of some people or possible internet trolls that have infiltrated our community. Stereotyping an entire Country/Race is not being Politically Correct, it is being racist.

@Rolf I couldn’t agree more with you last comments. The idea of ‘warning’ hosts about an entire nationality is ABSURD, and to the fact some people out there really believe those lies, makes me sad for humanity.

@cabinhost made a fantastic point about making a topic dealing with cultural differences, not using the negative language of ‘Problem with’…

5 Likes

My account was closed Airbnb believed more in a homeless guy posing as turist from spain than in thousands of dollars they made in my account monthly,renting basic units to Miami rental price.The “turist from spain”,want to be in my house without airbnb.I said NO.He begged for extension one week after a huge refund I( gave him cash including airbnb fee.
HE CLAIM FOOD ASSISTANCE AND CASH ASSISTANT in my place,and then cancelled the reservation with the idea to stay and start an eviction process.HELP ME GOD! I SAID. I was terrified,airbnb do not support me and closed my account after I called police avoiding the homeless man be in my house one week after he cancelled the reservation to avoid dealing with airbnb and keep his door open with airbnb.I have all letters from children and family wi9th the claim but happy because he was away.Host be aware os local prostitutes and homeless posing as turists.I am trying to comeback to airbnb I am offering very good deals to people in medium income that can not afford a hotel and helping others but not posing like turists be honest for day one AND YOU CAN GET MORE,I feeded him for ten days,free rides,uber and he closed my account with a drama.

Steve, you should marry Chen Susanne. You guys could run a nice hosting facility at North Korea.

5 Likes

Now, seriously.

All the reservations about people from some countries are fear driven. I understand that some of you are scared. It’s your apartment or house or something and you want to best take care of it, as you want your guests to.
Nobody wants to have a crowd of rude barbarians in his house.

What I learned: the price range, the pictures you provide, describing yourself… - it all doesn’t matter attracting the people you want to have over.

Deactivate instant booking and have contact to your guests before they book. It’s the only way to find out whether they are crazy or not.

1 Like

If only! I’ve had two nightmares who were completely “normal” upon inquiry.

3 Likes

Some of the openly prejudiced posts on this forum put me off contributing, to be honest, so it’s great to see it being addressed. I’m a bit confused at how the thread developed, though. Was stuff removed? Am I being stupid??
It’s just far too easy to be prejudiced when you’re an Airbnb host, apparently.

“Oh I’ve had TONS of Chinese guests” [erm, two actually] and they were all horribly messy [yeah, both of them] so I’m thinking twice about accepting any more! [oh, how hilarious! Do white western people imagine they are the only ones who use the internet? You think Chinese people don’t read what you say and think oh what a racist you are?]

3 Likes

Ah wake up Rolf, when did I say ALL you liar? And once again your basically saying you want if you had it your way all threads on here banned that criticise people from certain countries/cultures/religions/skin colour/age etc. Many threads would get taken down how boring. Free speech. And funny how you condone haveing a bit of a bitch, talk about contradicting yourself. If never join a forum Rolf, it would be boring and limited in its scope, as it would be quite politically correct. As I said Rolf,people don’t have to like others for whatever the reasons and have the right to say that and why, and that includes Airbnb hosting. It’s your private home not a Hotel you have a right not to want people into your home for whatever the reasons.

In your home you have the right to reject whatever fish comes in. It’s your home, not a hotel. And I’m off the view that in ones own home you can reject whatever you want, for whatever the reasons. If that’s discrimination so be it. There maybe somewhere in the constitution that states you don’t have to have someone in your home if you don’t want too.

1 Like

What if Chen is Steve and Steve is Chen :joy::+1:t3::joy:

7 Likes

what are you saying I’m confused

Even if they do which i dont think so, its such a vague subject that i dont think anything will be determined. We as hosts can decline anyone based only on a reason that we dont like his/her face. I travel as a guest from the very beginning, and i was declined few times i dont even know based on what. I am a white married woman who has multiple good reviews. I obviously do not belong to any minority group

Individual hosts will continue to discriminate, just like individual cops do and employers do, etc. What I am saying is that airbnb is going to have to try to limit it. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2016/05/01/can-civil-rights-law-stop-racial-discrimination-on-airbnb/

Let me also say, I am white, middle aged with good reviews. I requested an accommodation last year in New York City from a young white woman. It took her all day to reply and then she said it “wasn’t available.” I rechecked her calendar and it was available and remained available. I didn’t have time to keep putting up with that nonsense so I booked a hotel for the week. I don’t know why she turned me down. Too old, too un-hip? Wanted a longer or shorter booking? What I did learn from that experience is that I now look first for instant booking hosts. One way ABB can remedy this issue is via IB. Whether they require it or push hosts without it to the bottom of the search ranking or charge hosts who don’t offer it higher fees…that’s one way I see them going.

1 Like

I really wish someone familiar with Chinese culture would advise hosts of the best way to address the soaked bathrooms situation. From what I read it has to do with the type of hard/soft water they are used to - which is opposite of the water type in the U.S. and other countries (for example). So American host is upset because 3 Chinese groups in a row soaked their hardwood floors. American is resenting them because how dare these guests not understand the kind of damage they could do. American doesn’t understand that many Chinese don’t have shower curtains but instead have full open bathroom.

The Chinese guest doesn’t see anything wrong because in their country the water is safe on many surfaces, and they put dishes away when they are wet. It is considered “dirty” to use a dish drying towel to wipe off your clean dishes.

Of course not all Chinese have the same water habits. Some hosts don’t have these cultural dilemmas with this group. Other hosts do deal with these real issues.

So someone who understands both cultures - Please chime in and tell us what needs to be communicated in order for complete understanding.

All we are all doing now is pointing fingers at each other.

3 Likes

Yes we are! …

1 Like

I’m not sure you should rely on this - but I guess it depends on what sort of experience you’re after? IB places I’ve stayed in aren’t that personal, as in, you’re just a money making object for the host. But by requesting to book, you may find out you’re not a good fit for the host and in that case it’s good. Also, in my town - there are only a handful of IB hosts and they price highly as a result.

ah I don’t know… I’m not that sold on IB. In my opinion, it takes away from the soul of what airbnb stands for.