"Problems with" hosts who profile guests from countries

Anyone else here have problems with hosts who come to this caring, helpful forum and decide that their few experiences with guests from a region are representative of EVERY person from that country or continent?

I find it amazing that the limited worldview and limited experiences of some people shape their vision of people. Altho, living in the US, seeing racism, hatred, and intolerance up close, I guess I should not be surprised… but I am saddened when I come here and see this.

12 Likes

Raising my hand because yes, it bothers me!

4 Likes

I do Rolf, and thank you for starting this thread. I imagine that most genuine hosts who post here hate these bigoted posts that keep cropping up. The two people who post these here cannot be real hosts. They might be 12 year olds with too much time on their hands :slight_smile:

I first started using online forums in 1996 so as an old hand, I suspect that they will soon find another place to have their ‘fun’. Hopefully if we ignore them, they’ll disappear.

Although if they start on about English people, or redheads, or Floridians or something equally stupid I won’t be able to resist replying…

5 Likes

I hate those posts but in all fairness I do see some cultural quirks that have made me more aware of how we all are different.

I now sometimes think wow when I traveled to Europe and didn’t take my shoes off I MUST have offended the hosts at the pension Uno I visited. I also figure that guests that are trying to save my septic tank (I don’t have one I am on city sewer) are not being rude but in their mind being considerate.

I also wonder half the time will they realize that under the coverlet or quilt there is a blanket and sheets and you can sleep under those.

This being said it’s a odd here and there sort of thing and for the most part I have had a lot of Asian students staying with me and they are super sweet guests that treat me like a aunty and most of the time it’s like having family over.

The French families with little children are great guests and we enjoy having them but no matter what I know that we will get a 4 stars because there is no such thing as 5 stars where they are from and the concept is new to them.

Actually the worst guests have been guests from Tampa and a mother and son from NY.

This is the wonderful part of hosting for me, learning what makes folks different from a cultural viewpoint. The majority of guests are great and understand our way of doing things and they are delightful to host the odd ones are still interesting and really very nice folks with their quirks. It is the few maybe 2 percent of just BAD guests that we all get that we really should not lump into include the majority.

3 Likes

Thank you @Rolf!! These posts are getting ABSURD, we need to do something about them. I emailed the moderators and unfortunately their response was just flag all ‘inappropriate’ content, and eventually they will be removed. This is insane, that the forum can be trolled like this, and no one can do anything.

I agree every nationality was quirks, and some need to be addressed but in a POSITIVE and CONSTRUCTIVE way.

It’s shocking. If the thread starts with “problems with” you know it’s not coming to the subject with an open mind. Those threads should be deleted and the posters warned.

3 Likes

I’m not sure censorship is the answer. Perhaps don’t engage people who you think are being racist/bigoted? A thread can’t continue if nobody is participating.

7 Likes

Yes in agree with this tbh. Don’t forget this is a public open forum. Anonymous. If you go through some of the posts there is a bit of age’ism going on as well.

Of course if the post is threatening then that’s another matter.

Ignore posts you don’t like or flag and we can review.

1 Like

Maybe we should start a thread about how hosts successfully resolved cultural issues with guests unfamiliar with customs in host’s country?

Hosts can share their positive experience.

8 Likes

What would be the possible outcomes of a review?

The post could be deleted.

I think leaving those posts is troublesome, too. Folks don’t necessary see that those posts are not heavily commented on, they just see that those posts are there. And tolerated. But, I defer to the moderators. I just found the spate of Do you have a problem with Asians / South Americans / Slavic etc. messages to be super weird

3 Likes

Hi Rolf,

Thank you very much for this post.

I also find it disheartening that hosts are profiling not only people of different nationalities, but of different ages and body types and vigorously defending their perceived “right” to do so.

1 Like

Age-ism drives me crazy. I don’t ask my guests their ages but I’ve had what appeared to be delightful seventeen years olds and wonderful seventy year olds.

3 Likes

When guests
from foreign countries are coming, I turn down the beds. It seems to help.

This is ridiculous what you just said “azreala”. Your basically saying “azreala”, no one can debate issues like problems with any guest based on culture/or from other demohrpahics which cause sensitive conversation (e.g. Asian/Sexual orientation/religion/or stuff like Ageism), you want all those types of threads banned it seems. That’s not remotely fair, for you to stop others debating things that you don’t like. But what about finding the “white straight non politically male correct middle class americans/or western countries annoying”?-But are they a demographic that can be bashed from pillar to post according to you, and you have no problem with that?
Where is the free speech attitude by some of you? It seems some members are so politically correct (you have the right to be a politically correct uptight liberal if you want to, but it doesn’t mean everyone else wants to be, which in my experience the majority of people still are not politically correct types, and I can see why non politically correct people get so annoyed at those that are, as the politically correct commonly try to surpress non politically correct people, via censorship and suprression e.g. banning debates etc.).

I think this is a very complex issue and we should all just agree to disagree on certain issues.

Kirsty agree completely, many agree to disagree and that’s fine, it’s the members who try to censor stuff, based on the grounds that they find it offensive or don’t like it. Those are the type of members I find annoying, as they attempt to censor and suppress views they disagree with, or deem offensive, like they spread for everyone.

I think it’s best in this instance not to fuel the fire so to speak

3 Likes

Agreed Kirsty, but in saying that I don’t ignore others who dish it out, as then it establishes a pattern that’s it’s okey for them to. If you dish it out you have to be prepared to take it.