Possible new Airbnb Host program for top hosts

I agree. Why invite guests who want to hold you to a higher standard? I already find my American guests are more critical and leave comments like “smaller than I thought” or “not much room in the kitchen for cooking” even though I point that out in the description. My European guests, however, love everything about my space and couldn’t be more gracious. I don’t want more demanding guests and probably wouldn’t fit the criteria anyway.

3 Likes

Thanks for posting @cooperjto - but couldn’t see anything about a ‘top hosts programme’ and what that means just you being asked to complete one of their surveys.

Wow that is interesting and maybe alarming …Being an owner with a few thousand nights booked so far and having lots of properties from 1 to 5 bed and all different of course…I can see issues for me.

Wouldn’t so many homes start looking a bit similar/generic (hotel like) with input from designer chosen by them and isn’t what is stylish or upmarket up to a LOT of interpretation??
Lot of pressure on the cleaning side of it…to live up to the extra high standard or hosts pay the price of bad review… hmmmm

An interesting observation. I’d have thought there was only one standard for clean. I know some places are going to be cleaner than others but it’s hard to imagine Airbnb imposing a higher standard than what should already be in place for every property.

4 Likes

Ok, so the upcoming business model is high-end homes at low-end prices for high demanding guests. Thanks but no thanks :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’m interpreting it differently. Possibly wrongly, but differently. :slight_smile:

There are some places that could automatically qualify a) because they are fantastic or b) because they unusual. Like @Mearns island. (I miss Fred!) But they don’t necessarily need any help in attracting guests.

Lots of hosts here have great places that are low priced but seem like great value and in great areas. Such as @zandra’s.

So I really hope that this initiative will isolate places that offer good value and great services at the same time. It seems that the requirements for being in this program are very similar to those needed for business ready travel - nothing too onerous - and hopefully would be across the board pricewise.

Could it also help good hosts in saturated areas? I have been into four STRs very near ours yet I believe that ours is best - could this new program help us stand out as being one of the best of the bunch?

I don’t mind if the expected standards are high because as @KKC says, most of us are aiming for high standards anyway, especially where cleanliness is concerned. I want to be the very best in our local area and if this program can help, then I’d definitely be interested.

2 Likes

Eeek, I apologize for my countrymen. They are like that. Ever see a show called International House Hunters? Americans moving to places like Brussels and crabbing because they don’t have a stove hood or electronic wine cooler. :laughing:

1 Like

Lol, thanks for the mention! Am I the only host with a budget listing ? :blush:

No but I particularly love yours. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would actually struggle to mention another host occupying the lower end of the market. I’m actually sitting here scratching my head…lots of mid to high end!which I would say is most of the market. Calling all budget hosts we want to know who you are !

I think @Eberhard_Blocher might me with me at the cheaper end. Can’t think of anyone else !

I think @J_Wang is in your range and offered what you have!! He’s on hiatus right now though.

Yeah did wonder about @J_Wang but wasn’t sure. I know it’s a shared room but wasnt sure what else is on offer…

I’ve just cut breakfast from my listing. It’s something 99% of my guests eat to varying degrees and consistently mention in the reviews. In what might seem like a kanikaze move I’ve removed it.

I’m interested to see if my reviews (ranging from 5 star to 4. 4 reviews lower than that) will take a nose dive. My value rating is currently 4.5 which is incredible given the price was never more than £34 for two with breakfast included and access to the pool/sauna.

I’ll report back as it’s an interesting experiment. I’ve dithered about removing breakfast but my boyfriend has convinced me I’m doing too much for the price point.

No!!! It won’t take a dive!! Smart of you to cut breakfast, glad you finally saw the light (I remember me trying to gently suggest you cut it) you will make even more, continue to have bookings and save time and hassles. BF is correct!!!,

1 Like

J offered a couch in his cute Long Beach house and was constantly booked. He doesn’t offer any kitchen use though, his guests could walk to restaurants and cafe.

Yes you definitely did try to convince me and when my boyfriend saw what I was doing he was aghast. I think I always felt some guilt for some of the quirks in my listing (no kitchen access for example). It genuinely looks however like it’s not really appreciated as my value rating isn’t exactly 5 stars and I don’t think I could list any cheaper.

2 Likes

I’m not five, Zandra. I will never be… I never have been!!! And look at my location. Do not worry about the stars. Remember I’m going into my 8th year on Air… I’ve never ever been a SH or had five stars! It is what it is. People will still book.

4 Likes

And Zandra, with tourist season coming up in London, why not try to raise your prices? Just a tich. See what happens if you raise it to 45. Remember the pound is down after Brexit. England is not as pricey for visitors as it once was. You might be shocked and get even more bookings at the higher rate.

4 Likes

I’m imagining this would only be entire homes that are several steps above the average listing. My last 4 for cleanliness was 2.5 years ago. But I’m sure my place is not what they have in mind for this program.

1 Like

I’m still having guests but will stop very soon. I take only one guest at a time and put some fruit, protein bar, tea and coffee in a tray. Most don’t bother with it though. Some bring in take away food.

I had no drop in bookings when I added no extensive cooking. It’s cheaper to eat out here anyway and I don’t have to clean up after them.

2 Likes

Yes I’m hoping to stop soon as well. The job hunt is full steam ahead … business plans will have to wait a little as for now hosting is driving me slightly potty.

2 Likes