Possible new Airbnb Host program for top hosts

“Airbnb is thinking about launching a new program for hosts, and we’d like to get your feedback. Would you spare just a few minutes to provide us with your thoughts in this survey?”

It sounds like they’re thinking of creating a separate, curated directory of “premium listings” that feature a higher standard of interior design, professional photography and cleanliness. One of the survey questions asked me if I’d be likely to participate if Airbnb provided an incentive like free design services or access to a professional cleaning service. Does anyone have more info about this?

1 Like

My first reaction to a two tiered system of hosting is somewhat negative but I would like to hear more.

I joined as a host when airbnb was “young.” My attitude and I believe that of my guests was that the host/guest relationships was one of personal hospitality. I am extending an invitation to stay in my home and as a guest, you will be respectful of the home and the host. Like staying with your Aunt Betty (or uncle Fred) for a few nights.
In the beginning I would have guests bring me little gift, a bag of pecans from Louisiana, a guest from Singapore brought me a special tea cup. I felt a little uncomfortable about this, after all it is a business arrangement but the sentiment, sometimes reinforced with a goodbye hug, was appreciated and made me want to keep hosting.
As years have passed I find airbnb morphing into a more “business” model. Although their mission stresses the interpersonal connections between people, airbnb seems to emphasize efficiency (instant book) and now this new two system. I keep my home clean, I am a highly rated host but I don’t want the preferred upscale listing to draw demanding guests that expect hotel standards or service. I don’t think that is not what my guest really want. I also do not want to be to be shunted to a lower category. I am suspicious. There are actually other web site that offer high end listings if people want that.

9 Likes

I don’t think many/any of us have been deemed good enough by Airbnb to be considered, or else people would be discussing it here already :slight_smile:

If you want more info, I would imagine Airbnb should be your go to contact.

My house wouldn’t qualify as a higher standard of interior design. If Airbnb creates a new category for upper end listings, I would consider my listing to be different, not in a lower category, just as being a private room I don’t consider it to be in a lower category than a whole house. As I have twice received feedback from guests that my furniture and fixtures are dated (which is a meaningless description as we can’t constantly change our furniture and fixtures), I think it’s a good idea to isolate the listings that would qualify to be featured in Architectural Digest from regular homes.

1 Like

No, but I’d like to. Where did you see this?

Sorry, I should have been more clear. They sent me an email last night.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they only contacted hosts in specific cities where they’ve already gotten in touch with a professional cleaning service to partner with. They specifically quoted me a price for cleaning (more than what I pay now) which makes me think they have a company in mind already.

Most of the furniture in my place is from IKEA and the rest is from a store that sells what I would call “affordable modern” but it’s a well curated selection of cheap furnishings and very sparse so it looks fancier than it actually is. Maybe someone saw my listing and figured it could benefit from a professional touch :grin:

I’m wondering if this is one of their partner promo things.
Honestly, they just cannot stop tinkering with this model, can they? One that has always been so successful? There’s already a company, I think, one fine stay, that caters to the high end. I’m not in the high end… I think the vast majority of us are not. Their bread and butter is the low end, home share hosts, correct? Why don’t they do more to cater to them?

1 Like

Can you let us have a screen grab of the email. @cooperjto ?

I stopped filling out their surveys when I noticed that none of my excellent suggestions are ever taken to heart.

9 Likes

Lol!

Well my place is budget and ironically full of expensive items (because I decorated for myself and because I have expensive taste.)

I have items made by Magis, Jielde, Kartell, Hay, Normann Copenhagen, Sori Yanagi and a few bititish designers. I decorated that way because I love design. A high percentage of guests think my place is lovely, but it still a budget listing. Having an expensive light doesn’t make up for a small room.

I’m just always hoping no-one breaks anything because they’d been shocked at the replacement cost if they did.

Keep us informed if they do; for me it’s a good idea it lets guests choose what type of experience they’re after. Budget will always be in fashion so I don’t mind :slight_smile:

1 Like

My location is expensive, but many of my guests are fairly careless so I’m loathe to upgrade the furnishings too much. Just this week a guest burnt a cigarette hole in my IKEA couch (no smoking allowed, so they’re in big trouble!) and spilled pasta sauce or something similar on the duvet cover from Wal-Mart…

2 Likes

I got this survey a few weeks ago. My response to if I would be interested in cleaning is HELL NO. Because they are greedy and I already know they’ll just use the same shitty cleaners in the area that definitely don’t see the same dirt I see. AND I’m certainly not a host with great ratings because I just got an email warning me that they could take down my listing because this dingaling left me 2 stars after I let her and her dog stay for a month. [leaving the room smelling like pee…yes i did call her out on it as she was leaving.]

4 Likes

I stopped when I realised they were just data-mining. They’re not interested in your ideas or suggestions, they want data on hosts - what you do with money you make, how dependent you are on airbnb etc.

I don’t know what I feel about this latest foray into the hospitality world. They’ve done the ‘business-friendly’ thing, the ‘experiences’ thing, now it’s the luxury thing. I get that businesses need to expand, that’s fine. But I can’t help feeling that they need to pay attention to the basics (continual flakey software, poor communication with hosts, for eg) before all these “exciting” ventures. Or maybe they see an end in sight? As in, the current model is not sustainable so they’re looking to put money into something else? I don’t know and frankly I don’t care. People have been renting out rooms in their homes for centuries - it will continue and I will still be ok :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I just hosted my 705th airbnb guest, by the way. WHAAATT?? How did that happen? lol. She’s a real sweetie, too. Elderly lady with a wicked sense of humour.

12 Likes

Whoa!! I would call you an experienced hostess! How can you find the total number you have hosted, do you know?

I keep a spreadsheet. It’s been neglected for a few weeks and I just updated it. Air doesn’t give you stats on total number of guests, as far as I know. I keep loads of info on guests - country of origin, mode of travel etc. I’m a bit nerdy like that! Most of my guests come from France, Germany and USA , apparently. Whereas I was convinced it was China (Jinaa!!) and Korea but no, numbers don’t lie. I feel tired suddenly…

9 Likes

https://airbnb.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_ahgDTh67AwHfDlr

If you’d like to see what the survey is all about you can do it from the link above.

I recently noticed a Los Angeles Craigslist ad in Spanish for cleaners for Airbnb properties. Maybe this is the new service team for these high end properties?

I would not participate…

This “premium” label tends to attracts more demanding/entitled guests.
Not the market I would like to be in.

3 Likes