One important note on female products

That’s actually common in most south east Asia & Asian countries. They don’t have the pipes to deal with TP and also they prefer the hose cleaning technique … please see -

1 Like

I’m going to be a pedant now. That article does not suggest it’s common to put poo covered paper in a bin. Instead it tells you how to clean yourself with water. That’s fine I’m used to that having spent a lot of time in India and Africa.

I continue to maintain putting poo covered paper in a bin is a health risk…

You certainly are.

The article does make it sound like it’s common to put toilet paper in a bin. There’s a whole section of the article about “TP in the bin.” Ideally it wouldn’t be poo covered because you’ve used a “bum gun.”

No one is arguing that TP in a bin isn’t a health risk. What has been discussed is that in buildings with old plumbing it is not at all uncommon to see signs asking that nothing except human waste be flushed.

Overflowing toilets are also a health risk.

Sigh… did I read the article wrong ? Did it not say ‘after you’ve washed and used a square of paper to dry yourself put it in the bin?’

Isn’t that a completely different thing from wiping (without washing first) and putting it in bin ? Or am I missing something ?

For the record I grew up in a country where you use water, so please don’t get the impression I don’t understand differences in this area.

From the article:

5. TP in the Bin

[UPDATED 21/01/16]

Having lived in Thailand for two years, and being in South-East Asia for close to three years, I now have something new to add in terms of using The Golden Throne. Once you have bombarded your arsehole with water, and dried it with a flimsy, half a ply square of toilet paper, please, please do not throw it down the toilet. South-East Asian plumbings cannot deal with this shit!! ****They can deal with actual human excrement, but not paper, and certainly not female hygiene products. I know it’s gross to put used toilet paper in the little plastic waste bins next to the toilet, but if you’ve used the Bum Gun correctly (and I should hope this blog piece taught you well), then the TP should be ever so slightly damp, but not tainted.

"My addition: but if there is no Bum Gun you still have to put the paper in the bin. "

Once these toilets get clogged up, it’s game over for you, your toilet, and your dignity. You don’t know how many times Lionel and I had to learn this lesson the hard way (of course not with female hygiene products – I’m not an uneducated monster!).

My addition: I live in El Paso TX and between our older dive bars here and popping over the border to Mexico I’ve seen plenty of signs that tell me not to flush the paper.

2 Likes

You didn’t highlight the next part of the sentence that said : if you’ve used the bum gun correctly it’s fine :)… to quote ‘the toilet paper will be damp but not tainted’.

My issue continues to be placing ‘tainted’ (to steal the words from that article) paper in a bin.

At least you know you’re pedantic.

Yeah I called it first. Too many years of academic study, focused specifically on the EU. It becomes very difficult to not pore excessively over the meaning of things :slight_smile:

useful debate thank you @KKC

That article makes using a bidet shower sound much more complicated than it is. And it’s not a problem to flush toilet paper in Bombay, at least.

Where did you study? What are your degrees in?

I have a BA Hons in International Relations, MA in International Political Economy and did 2 years of an ESRC funded PhD looking at small states and their accession to the EU. :slight_smile: All in the UK at a top 10 institution.

1 Like

In parts of Greece there are no bum washers and toilet paper has to be put in bin. It’s not what we are used to, but it happens and people seem to manage. In other countries there is no toilet paper, people wash bottom with their hands, then wash hands.

(Oh well, I didn’t want lunch anyway.)

3 Likes

Wow… Impressive… So what are your career plans ? This sounds like the track my son wants to take, except for the PhD. Which stateside universities would you recommend for IR ? Any suggestions? He’s applying to grad school, BA is Political Science.

after years of working in academic environment (I’m not an academic mind you) I’m now focusing on opening a food related enterprise. In terms of student recruitment I mostly know the UK however I have a friend who I used to work with in London who is now stateside… would you like her details? If yes i’ll check in with her, and assuming she’s happy for me to do so, pass on her details.

Sure PM me with details. Thanks!

Thank God I read that at 3pm, well after lunch.

1 Like

@Mearns (Word to the wise, if you don’t want to miss dinner, I wouldn’t check back on this thread again ~ I’m not.)

Since you guys are all done eating maybe we could discuss the billion or so people who have no running water at all and relieve themselves in trenches and outhouses and so on. I guess paper and bins are a luxury to them. Thank goodness we tourists are sheltered from having to deal with that.

4 Likes

@KKC — Thank goodness, indeed, and maybe we don’t really need to “discuss the billion or so people who have no running water and relieve themselves in trenches and outhouses and so on”. Why? Because maybe some of us (namely, me) have experienced it first hand…like up until the age of six when I lived with my grandparents periodically.

I squatted many a time over a backyard trench, actually a ditch with moss and running water which emanated from the kitchen sink. It was easier than walking downhill past the gardens and chicken coops to the wood outhouse with two seats, an ‘adult-size’ and a ‘child-size’ right next to it, both of which were over dark holes of unknown depth and stank to high-Heaven. They produced some of the scariest memories of my childhood.

I have no clue why I am divulging this except anonymity gives me license.

3 Likes