New Airbnb Stats - What's your conversion rate?

On my computer, I see them by going to Dashboard → Stats → Ratings. Maybe you can see them there as well?

This is a great idea. I’m going to look into doing that.

My husband was reading a website about the new light rail line that’s coming to our area, and he noticed there was going to be a meeting for construction contractors and subcontractors. He suggested we go to that meeting with our Airbnb business cards. We did that, and we got a great response at the time. We’ll see if that turns into business as construction begins.

2 Likes

Nope. Only calculated totals by category - no break down by guest. That’s fine. If I read my Superhost dashboard correctly I am in danger of losing my Superhost status because I haven’t had enough guests! Makes sense considering my booking rate shows as ZERO.

I am around 1% but, since I am fully booked until beginning of march it does not worry me much.
The whole booking rate does not tell me much since it does not take into account the available days or booked days.

That’s why they really should call it conversion rate, not booking rate as Terrance pointed out. We also don’t know how many people viewed our listings searching by date, which would eliminate people looking at days we weren’t available, and which people were browsing without dates. That’s probably one reason mine is so high. I get many last minute bookings and they are looking at a specific date. I’m only booked about 50% of the days of the month although I’m willing to be booked about 90%. I typically block 3 or 4 days a month.

1 Like

Using conversion rates for AirBnB bookings is a bit useless.

Conversion rates are only useful as an indicator when you have an (almost) unlimited supply.

I agree they don’t affect me in the least but I wonder if Airbnb is using them in their search algorithim. I know DogVacay the company that I use for my dogboarding business uses what they also call “booking rate” and a former airbnb executive is now a DV executive.

2 Likes

They’re using the booking rate as another metric to lower your prices. Want to increase your booking rate? Lower your price.

Meaningless because my rate is 1.6% and I’m fully booked. Still 1.6% in a market with over 35,000 hosts isn’t bad.

1 Like

The new stats are not very helpful. I think the percentage is the number of days you receive a new booking versus the number of days you don’t, which is a completely useless statistic IMO.

The percentage seems to add up if that’s what it is tracking. It’s definitely not a percentage of days that I’m booked versus vacant.

booking rate is simply the percentage of those who book after looking at your listing. It’s no more complicated than that.

It’s tracking what consumers do and is similar to amazons ‘what customers do next’ when you’re considering buying an item on their website.

The difference is that Airbnb isn’t showing which listing your guest went for instead, Airbnb just tells you that most people booked elsewhere.

1 Like

Or didn’t book at all.

I would list on VRBO as well. They tend to have larger listings for families and sounds like your place would fit their user base well. Ours is only for 2 and we get a lot more from AirBnB but we get occasional bookings from VRBO which helps and they tend to be for longer stays.

VRBO users tend to be older or families and willing to pay more as well.

1 Like

Now that would be interesting information… We should suggest it to Airbnb.

1 Like

I don’t think I want to know :smirk:

3.7%
4.1%
5.6%
and
5.7%

All my other booking stats are also definitely incorrect though, so who knows how accurate it is.

This is really a tough one. I feel your pain.

Your posts indicate that you were initially doing well with Aibnb so you fixed up the guest area more and charged a higher rate to go along with that, which is reasonable. And now you have much more competition along with much fewer bookings. You’re 20 minutes north of DC near a university.

I just tried to find your booking and it wasn’t obvious which yours was. Do you feel comfortable telling people which listing is yours so people can chime in with other suggestions that might boost your bookings?

Mine is 0.5% and I’m fully booked for months so it’s all pretty meaningless. Unless someone is specifically looking to book in May then of course the booking rate is going to be low. People are obviously looking at the listing but very few are booking because they are not looking for accommodation four months in advance.

1 Like

can you share your listing?

my booking rate is 3.0%

Now on over 800 views for this month. The tourists are coming in floods it seems. A few days left here and there… and a longer Period of about a week in March left

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2835502

You’re new so not aware of what has been posted elsewhere on this forum. My listing gets far more travelers, few tourists. They are on the major interstate between major cities with other cities with significant numbers of airbnbs being hours in any direction. I am a half mile from the freeway but in a quiet neighborhood. My room has a private entrance and an ensuite bathroom. I’m baised but I think my place is perfect for one or two people to stay a night or two. Many people book last minute as they are traveling so being on the first page of search helps.

1 Like