New Airbnb Stats - What's your conversion rate?

If you click the arrow, you will see the individual ratings by percentage. [I think I will miss the raw numbers. I can figure out a percent all on my own.]

3 Likes

Got it, thanks ! It was not showing on my phone but it is on my laptop.

2 Likes

Iā€™m just not sure whoā€™s reviewing is being rated - mine or the guests?

If mine, then it makes sense, but the percent is in the 80s while I review everyone - hence my confusion

guests who review you = your review rate. Mine is 70 something so just over 2/3s of my guests write me a review and of course one needs at least 50% for superhost.

Oh, I understand now - they arenā€™t judging me because my guests do or do not review me - I assume that what they need is enough reviews to know that it is representative of the guestā€™s experiences.

Hi @dcmooney,

How many different sites do you advertise on? Some people think it helps to be on a bunch of different sites.

Just Air and Wimdu. Had a Wimdu booking today - YAY! Just 2 nights in February, but seeing as I only have 5 nights booked in January, thatā€™s almost a 50% increase. :kissing_smiling_eyes:

Air gave me so much business last year I didnā€™t investigate alternatives, and, there are a lot of complaints about the other platforms. I started on booking.com but I didnā€™t like that they donā€™t verify IDs. I know, that really might not protect me, but it feels like it does.

Hi @dcmooney,

Iā€™d take a little time to set up accounts on other sites. I myself currently donā€™t have anything except Airbnb set up, but I really should. Also consider setting up your personal website.

Yes, the other sites sound iffy, but Airbnb is becoming iffier too. I donā€™t think there is much difference between VRBO/Homeaway and Airbnb at this point in time. And spreading oneself out across multiple sites is more maintenance work, but itā€™s also a prudent defensive measure. Having said that, booking.com does not sound great - Iā€™d probably give it a pass for now.

It sounds like your rental is a significant undertaking for you, since you did some major remodelling. So I think a little extra work doing advertising related stuff makes sense. Thereā€™s a consensus here that you shouldnā€™t depend on Airbnb. Needless to say, thatā€™s a sentiment I agree with.

2 Likes

My place will never be ā€œbusiness ready,ā€ because they require no pets for that. Weā€™re not getting rid of the cats.

Iā€™m one of the believers in not relying on Airbnb but for the record, I donā€™t mean that I use other booking sites. I prefer to deal with just one to make life easier. I like to promote the rental when I need bookings but I prefer to let Airbnb handle all the details.

I know that this means that all my eggs are in one basket in a way but I canā€™t imagine dealing with several booking sites and all their little quirks and rulings.

Hi @jaquo,

If you can bring traffic to your listing without resorting to listings on other sites, thatā€™s great. But most of us donā€™t have a similar system set up. So for now, at least, our options are to depend entirely on Airbnb, or to try to spread ourselves over multiple sites. And I think the latter choice is definitely the preferable one.

1 Like

Very fair point, @Faheem

But I just wanted to point out that itā€™s not just a case of getting traffic - the point is to get targeted traffic. In other words, you have to go for the people who are actively looking for somewhere to stay in your area. Thatā€™s why I like to spend a little time (about half an hour a week) contacting people who are, for example, organising events or conferences in the area. Hosts can do this easily whereas Airbnb and the other booking sites donā€™t do this. Hosts do have a little control, which I like. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @jaquo,

Agreed, one needs targeted traffic.

Wow, you sound very organized. And are the organizers willing to listen and take your information? Or how does it work? And Iā€™m surprised you can do this in half an hour a week. Iā€™d spend that amount of time just trying to reach people on the phone.

2 Likes

Not organised but Iā€™m a believer in routine. :slight_smile:

Yes, although there are plenty of hotels in our area there are always people looking for something different and / or less expensive. Therefore organisers tend to be open to the idea (although Iā€™m not saying that everyone is!)

For example, there are two large art fairs in our area every year with people coming from all over the country. Because we have great views and are in a quiet location, itā€™s an ideal place for artists and photographers etc. to stay. So a few months before the event, I remind the organisers about us.

With conferences, it seems that many people are fed up of staying in hotels, especially if they are bringing a spouse or partner who wants somewhere to relax while the attendee is at their business meetings. (I suspect that itā€™s advantageous to their expense account too!)

I have a standard email that I send out (copy and paste) and send the same message, adjusted a little where necessary. Some reply, others donā€™t but I suspect that those who donā€™t ā€˜put me on fileā€™ because Iā€™ve had bookings from people who say that they are attending the event and that I was recommended to them.

I am lucky though because thereā€™s so much going on here. And itā€™s easy to get the info from the internet.

4 Likes

@Terrance my booking rate is currently 4,3%. @KKC your booking rate is exceptionally high! Congratulations! I thought mine was pretty okay but your 13,5% are just fabulous. Your listing is converting visitors to guests like crazy:)!

1 Like

DC! Iā€™ve been thinking about your situationā€¦
I agree that itā€™s fruitless to compare yourself to hotels. Itā€™s two different markets. When I went to take Kyle to his DC internship, I spent a lot of time searching for the right place. I did not compare Airs to hotelsā€¦ I only searched for hotelsā€¦and as you know I found a fabulous boutiquish semi luxurious hotel in DuPont for $79 per night. This obviously was their fire sale low season rate for January. The convenience of being right in town with five minute access to the metro were all selling pointsā€¦

Iā€™m thinking what you should do is return to what you had last year. However you classified the place, do the same. Make the price just a little higher. When they get in and see they have a private place, they will be super happy.
If it wasnā€™t broke, why fix it? I meanā€¦ If you succeeded so well with what you had, why not just return to what you had? Orā€¦ Go back to renting to graduate students since you are so close to the university. Advertise your Air STR on the college forums and bulletin boards? For parents, visiting professors, scholars, etcā€¦ I donā€™t knowā€¦ Something about what you changed has seemed to make a difference nowā€¦??

It appears soā€¦ up to 13.8% now. I have a very different kind of listing than most of the hosts on this forum. I suppose I get some credit for being a fabulous host, working hard and spending a lot of money improving my rental. But a lot of it is pure dumb luck.

1 Like

A TON more competition - a TON.

You were the one last year telling me my prices were to low!

Iā€™m at $79 a night for two. Damn, I canā€™t go much cheaper than that! Yeah, I canā€™t expect the same price of a hotel but that gives me a starting point, right?

1 Like

Iā€™m sorryā€¦ I might have spoke out of turn. I havenā€™t been keeping track of your prices.

I do seasonal adjustments. I am getting $120 now in high season and am fully booked. In summer I canā€™t give it away for $65ā€¦ So maybe itā€™s purely seasonal and you can name your price in summer.

1 Like

@dcmooney My measuring stick is ā€œhow much does someone need to pay me to not be at my own cottage?ā€ I am nearing my limit frankly, but when I retire, and can be there during the week and leave all weekends open for rental, maybe I could consider lowering my prices further, but right now? No way.

By the way, I cannot get star details on either my desktop OR my phone.