Midstay cancellation and attempted re-entry

@Jtlutz
It might be a good idea to spend a an hour or two reading Airbnb help articles about how things work on Airbnb. Reviews are not public until both parties post a review within a time limit. If only one party posts a review it goes public after that time limit, after which the other party can no longer post a review. To protect yourself you really should brush up on the basics.

4 Likes

Air should be notified about this as well - not just in the review that may not get published.

1 Like

If you review it is published after 14 days even if guest doesn’t review, and vice versa.

1 Like

Leave in the part about good communication. It conveys to me that he is a practiced con artist. Sounds like he planned to squat after he got his refund.

3 Likes

Leaving in the part about good communication will help the next host, so they won’t be disarmed by his manner and assume he’s learned his lesson

2 Likes

Thank you to everyone for your insightful comments and suggestions. I’ve been in touch with Airbnb support and they suggested I hold off posting my review until their “safety and security” team gets in touch with me. They also suggested I file a police report for the attempted re-entry. I will update you once I hear back from them on next steps.

7 Likes

I wouldn’t say good communication or polite. " x booked same day, cancelled mid stay and requested refund contrary to our policy, This was given. However, when House inspected, there was undisclosed damage, trash and the balcony door door was left open. The security for remote door entry equipment was disconnected.
I’d leave out attempted re-entry as if I read this, I’d not rent to him.

Disappointed with Airbnb’s “Trust and Security” team. They assessed that my case was not a safety issue, despite the fact that the guest disconnected my wifi router so I couldn’t cancel his door access code and he attempted to re-enter the day after checkout with his cancelled code. They judged it a “personality conflict.” No words.

2 Likes

The other disappointing part is that they didn’t even get back to me. I had to call Airbnb support after a week of no response from “trust and security” team to find out what was going on.

2 Likes

This is why I don’t trust Airbnb’s liability insurance. I assume that if there is a claim you report it to Airbnb and they decide if they believe it to be a legitimate claim. As we’ve heard countless stories of Airbnb customer service representatives making illogical decisions; I have no faith that they would have the same view as mine of a liability claim.

3 Likes

Wow! Sorry to hear this. A personality conflict?? Really?

I don’t think anyone on this forum would agree with Air on this one.

1 Like

The support person I spoke to was perplexed by that conclusion as well but said there were limited notes and the safety and security team’s judgment makes it final.

Wish I could say I was suprised by Air’s decision but I’m not. I too have absolutely no faith in their host guarantee or insurance - they are not governed by industry watchdogs and frankly make bizarre decisions which cannot be appealed. Anyone who chooses to place their trust in Airbnb alone is taking a huge risk.

I for one wish people new to hosting would instead of bleating the supposed Ts and Cs at me ( but, but, but …Airbnb say they cover this!!) and realise many of us are cynical through hard experience.

2 Likes

I agree. It’s beyond frustrating that hosts and guests aren’t allowed to communicate directly with the person who makes the decision. We all know about the game telephone.

1 Like

Ugh that was the worst of it. Watching a bizarre conclusion being made and not having the chance to straighten Airbnb’s decision making process by giving supplementary information.

People do not be fooled. That stuff is put there to make you feel safe and to make you think that hosting is totally risk free because Airbnb has your back. The fact is that is absolutely not true.

1 Like