Midstay cancellation and attempted re-entry

Hello, fellow hosts. I recently had a troublesome guest. Below is the review I plan to post about my guest. I would appreciate your feedback on whether we should honor a partial refund, given the state he left our home and the fact that he tried to re-enter our home after checkout.

John was great at communicating with us prior to booking. He requested a same day booking for an extended stay, which we accommodated. Mid stay, he requested an early checkout for personal reasons and asked for a refund despite our strict cancellation policy. Given how polite his request was, we initially agreed to a partial refund. Upon checkout, we discovered that he broke several house rules. He left our street-facing balcony doors wide open. In addition, he didn’t disclose that he stained our dining bench and sofa. He also left food in the oven and did not dispose of his trash. Lastly, he unplugged our wifi router which made it impossible for us to access our smart lock and cancel his access to our home. Thankfully, our housekeeper was able to get to the house and reconnect our wifi. Our Ring doorbell captured him trying to re-enter our home a day after checking out. I would not recommend him as a guest.

1 Like

I would leave off the first sentences, and start the review with “Upon checkout…”…

3 Likes

Me too. The fact that he cared about communication has been rendered moot by his actions.

6 Likes

That is extremely scary! He came back the day after checkout and tried breaking into your home? You need to contact Airbnb.

11 Likes

He sounds like a nightmare, and I hope you’ve contacted Airbnb to close his account. Who thinks re-entering the house after checkout (after disabling the security system) is normal guest behavior?

I wouldn’t want him in my home, and i can’t imagine any other host, remote or shared, would feel safe having him on their property.

9 Likes

You should consider calling the police as he disabled your smart lock and attempted to break into your house.

If I were you I would call Airbnb and ask them to terminate this person’s account.

8 Likes

Wow! He tried to pull one over on you. I wouldn’t say ANYTHING positive about him. He obviously was trying to leave the house unsecured so he could do something nefarious. Scary. I, too, would report him to Air and ask that he pay in full for the time he originally booked.

9 Likes

We contacted Airbnb Help Support via email since we are traveling out of the country but haven’t heard back yet.

1 Like

Just wondering if he knew you were traveling outside the country? If so, that is even more evidence that he was trying to get away with something.

4 Likes

I also feel his intentions may have been bad… I’ll go a step further and say he probably canceled fully knowing you wouldn’t be able to accommodate anyone so quickly, knowing it was empty and the cleaning lady was (probably already scheduled for when he was supposed to leave) and you were out of town.

Easy break-in and steal your valuables?

3 Likes

More likely is a free place to stay for the rest of their longer stay.

4 Likes

He did know that we were traveling. I won’t be so open in disclosing that information in the future.

7 Likes

A good thing for everyone to be aware of. Thank God for your diligent cleaner!

Have you decided how you’re going to review him now??

1 Like

We don’t get back until Sunday but as far as I know nothing is missing. Luckily it is not our primary residence. I have another family doing a self-checkin today and I’m hoping he won’t bother them.

"John booked an extended stay on the day of arrival. Mid stay he requested an early checkout along with a refund, left the balcony doors wide open and unplugged our wifi router, making it impossible for us to access our smart lock. Our caretaker was able to access the home and plugged back in the wifi. The next day our Ring doorbell captured him trying to re-enter our home!

On top of this, he stained our dining bench and sofa, left food in the oven and did not remove trash. I do NOT recommend John as a guest."

If Airbnb doesn’t ban him from using their services again no host in their right mind would host him.

6 Likes

You might get a quicker response from Air by using Twitter.

2 Likes

Thank you, I will try that as well!

Thank you for the edit suggestions!

1 Like

I’m concerned that my review might not even get posted because I believe both parties have to complete a review for it to be posted.

no it can be posted whether the guest writes one or not

5 Likes