Happy guests write one liners, while I write a paragraph :(

Hi all – I’ve been hosting for about a year and every guest has been happy. Only a few have written glowing reviews that stand out. Most are one or two liners like “Great host, I’d stay again” which is positive, but my goal is to get glowing reviews that are more personal to the guest. I try to point out something special about each guest when I review them but get disappointed when I’ve put effort in and get a “Great place” or similar one liners.

I’m wondering if it’s because I have self-check-in and only greet guests if it turns out to be convenient to them and me. I probably greet/chat with about 50%. I also keep it short out of respect for their privacy and relaxation time. Maybe if I interacted more they’d feel more personally connected?

Any advice? Thanks!

I agree interact with them more in the lead up to and during their stay.

However if you are getting lots of five star positive reviews I wouldn’t worry too much

1 Like

I have a number of longer reviews which I love. I greet almost all of my guests but they have a separate entrance to their room that is attached to my house. No kitchen or laundry or running into each other going down the hall. But I live on site so maybe that’s it. I also think under promising and over delivering helps. Many people say my room exceeded expectations. Whether that’s because of the price or the pictures or the things that are listed but how nice it is has to be seen to be believed.

OTOH my reviews are getting shorter and more rote because the guests can’t do much to stand out.

4 Likes

I just star hosting this year. I have only about 1X review but most is growing review. I think because I just start and guests want to help. Second is experience they received. If host interacts with guests like you go to restaurant together or spent time talked. It make memory … and “memory” most of a time is people not place. I do have one guest who I cann’t meet him inperson but I prepare map and anything I think can help his stay. I text him all time give suggestion. He writes a very growing review.

So you can be your self but need to think about what experience you can make to your guests.

Nutth

1 Like

I often never meet my guests. I do check in with them once or twice (depending on length of stay/response to initial message) and I try to personalize the messages. I might say, just touching base, hope the wedding went well, etc. etc. Or just touching base, it’s a fabulous day to take a ferry ride, or you might go to the local Farmers Market going on today. You get the idea. Anyway i do have some short reviews but plenty of long ones too.

2 Likes

Most of my reviews are all very long. I think its because I try to meet the guest personally and do a walk thru and chit chat for a couple minutes about THEM not me. I rarely get a one-liner review I do believe meeting them helps a lot and also just trying to offer the “nicest” place you can w little amenities like water, coffee, a few snacks and top of the line shampoos etc will enable them to expand on their review: give them something to write about! I have a huge private succulent garden, they love that and often weave that into the review. 95% of my guests leave reviews because I leave a friendly note on the fridge w check out rules and also asking them to please leave a review as this is a competitive busines.(dont be afraid to ask)

1 Like

I almost exclusively communicate by message/text with guests although I do check-in to ask if they need anything, have questions, (always on their first morning). My unit has a 93% review rate, 100% 5 stars, and most of my reviews are quite detailed (although they’re getting shorter after 75+ reviews).

I agree with other posters saying that you either have to 1. under-promise and over-deliver 2. provide amenities or service that give them something to write about (this costs money, although increasing your amenity budget by $3-4/visit would prob do it). It sounds like your guests aren’t so happy that they’re gushing but they are just satisfied enough to give 5 stars. How much is it worth to you to get those longer, gushy reviews?

3 Likes

I leave one line reviews as do most of my guests who just want a no nonsense transaction and a clean quiet place to sleep. I’m a Super Ho, BTW. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Me too. I’m a SH. I do this for more than the money. It makes me happy to provide a place people enjoy. So for me, it is important. To each their own though.

2 Likes

Pardon me for sounding like a jerk, …didn’t mean to come off that way :slight_smile:

It’s just that I get annoyed with our increasingly review-driven world that seems to encourage the increasing sense of entitlement I see around me.

4 Likes

I feel the whole world is now run on reviews, fine when it is used as a tool, absolutely dreadful when used as a weapon or a lever to get something from you. Once upon a time a bad word could make life hard in a small town. Now a vindictive comment can ruin you internationally!

5 Likes

I have it from a good source that new requests are being accompanied by the following graphic: xx guests (their picture) were recommended by xx hosts (your picture) and had these reviews, xx.

But I agree… I do not want to see the world revolve around more damn reviews. Enough already!

1 Like

Stop the madness!!! :o I ain’t gonna kiss nobody’s a__ in hopes of getting a good review! :smile:

1 Like

I give that comment 4 stars!!! :laughing:It could have been longer and had better attention to detail.

1 Like

http://fakespot.com/

Tired of products that don’t match the review hype?

Getting good reviews are critical to getting bookings! I can’t tell you how many times people told me they chose my place because I had excellent reviews it really does make a difference in your business.

1 Like

I agree completely. But I can’t fixate and fret over reviews. I do my best and put as much effort into being a host as I feel is necessary and worth the trouble. And oddly enough, most of my reviews are one liners.

1 Like

I’ve started seeing that here, just recently. Maybe a few days ago.

I do exactly the same, meet and greet, chat for a few minutes re their plans, then leave them to relax.
My reviews are all glowing and I know they love the privacy and tranquility.
On the other hand, I find it hard to mix up my guest reviews and make them interesting as I have not interacted with them. Works both ways I’d say, as long as the reviews are positive.

2 Likes

This is interesting and I suspect fairly normal. Try this; I had three young Europeans here (in NZ) and they had a car with failed brakes. I worked with them to remove the failed parts, took them and purchased the new parts, audited their work through the day and did quite a bit myself. Did this get mentioned in the review - well you know - just the same - “the host was nice” We expect too much I suppose. I must admit to getting more and more brief with my guest reviews.