Guest asking me for my surname to put on visa application form

Ive no idea what kind of visa Kona…I know when we go to India they want to know were we are staying, but they never ask for a personal name. If I was her, I would of just put ‘airbnb host’, and the city or part address.
Anyway Air customer service has sent my query to trip management team, as I would like to know why it could be booked when I declined. The Customer service assistant said it showed I had declined the booking at 18.31, but then the reservation was booked at 18.39 pm. Weird.

gaaahhhh, what a headache… and you are on IB?

1 Like

Aye im on Ib :weary:

No big problem from my viewpoint. On a visa application, often ask for your accommodation and name of people with whom you will be staying. If immigration check further, then they can just ask you what your relationship with the guest is. It is not your responsibility to check out their visa form. On the other hand, I also like to know their surnames when they book. Nothing sinister from my end.

AirBnB primarily works on trust. You will get the occasional “too strange” request but that is part and parcel of the accommodation industry.

She is obviously new to AirBnb (same as we all once were). Has gone through the verification process etc so can’t see any issues myself.

4 Likes

My already booked guest for 2 nights is asking my full name, address, phone number and email for visa application. I asked her in which category she will fill in that and she said Contact in Taiwan, not hotel or lodging etc.
1- I don’t want to be responsible for what happens to them or people contacting me in case something happens to them. This country is tiny and if during their stay (who knows how long in the country) here anything happens the police , hospital etc find you and come to your house in less than a hour.
2- don’t want to give my details
3- they just eradicated Uber completely out of the country, kicked the company out and there is no drivers/rides anymore. The thrill is to get it done with Airbnb as well, I surely don’t want my name with government anywhere that I am linked to Airbnb as they bill to pass in the Congress is about 100k dollars. I don’t even receive my layouts hereto avoid any link.

What would you do? Should I just tell her I can’t provide the info and she can fill in a hotel name? Any suggestions? Thanks

Its very common to have to give addresss and names of who you are staying with, if not in a hotel, for visa applications.

2 Likes

You could just give them the name of the business, Vera’s Awesome Rental. Or something similar. They aLready have your name and address.

2 Likes

@azreala @konacoconutz thank you

They do have my address already from the reservation and my phone number, but not the email and name in full. 233 trips and she is the only one asking for this :frowning: . We have just discussed here and we still don’t feel comfortable giving it to her. Maybe I will reply that we don’t and if she wants to cancel I will refund her in full.
:frowning:

My EU passport is expired so whenever I enter the EU on my US passport, I am required to give the adress of where I will be staying. When I give our home address they always aske for the full name of the ‘owner’ and I give my husband. No one checks but it is just for records. Depending on where your guests are coming from they may have no choice. I think the full refund is fair if you dont feel comfortable

2 Likes

When applying for a visa where a visa is needed, you have to give the name and address to where you will be staying.
Why do you not want to give your full name? You will let this person stay in your house, but you do not want them to know who you are?
Vera here does not want to help out if a guest gets into trouble. That is bad hosting in my opinion, and not the way to go when being part of the Airbnb community.
We had a guest from Turkey who broke her leg in town while staying with us. She was staying in one of our apartments, and did not go to any hospital because she thought she had only sprained her ankle.
She was really thankful when we took her to the hospital, the pharmacy and airport when they left.

Guests rarely cross countries to stay 2 nights in Taiwan. And I rarely have long stay guests. It is usually 1-2 nights.
In addition to the reasons (quite a few) I sorted earlier, I know nothing about the guest, yes not even their true name, why should I provide mine? And yes, if they stay 2 nights in my house and 2 more weeks in the country I definitely do not want to be called if they get into trouble during the remaining time they are staying in other places with other people/hotel.

I am a bad, bad host :wink:

1 Like

I find this odd. If you are using ABB, which you daid you were, the guests and you have verfird ID. You both see the others full name and the guest your address. So, I really don’t understand what other info you are worried about. My guess is people have been using your info on a visa application for awhile but this particular guest just brought it to your attention

In the bad old days, before Airbnb or indeed the internet, guests had to know your last name in order to write you their payment cheque!

:slight_smile:

1 Like

You can ask them to see their ID. In the case of international guests, that would be their passports. And, in my opinion, you should. This isn’t an De Guin Earthsea novel, or an Vernor Vinge short story. Your guests don’t gain power over you by knowing your “true name”. :slight_smile:

I always sign my full name to all emails I send to guests. Seriously, it isn’t a big deal. Unless you happen to be Elvis Presley, perhaps.