Guest Asked Me To Be Quiet

We had a guest who was an extremely light sleeper. We supply disposable earplugs. She said that it’s uncomfortable for her to sleep with earplugs. She forbade us to make any noise, including opening the back door to let the dogs out, while she was asleep. Then she got sick and was asleep all the time. Some people prefer to complain than to find solutions.

Earplugs are on my “to do” list. She made her own out of kleenex; found them in the sheets this morning.

But quite frankly, I’m missing the point.This gal was high maintenance. ’

When I offered her home made muffins she would only accept if they did not contain refined sugar. My other guests behave like seagulls! :wink:

She needed help finding my address, using the desk, where to hang her towels, 2 extra blankets on top of a duck down duvet, complete silence on her bedtime, including no conversations, and… you get the picture.

She was very tired, emotional, and looking for special treatment. Even if I were to wave a magic wand, there would still be “issues”, again quite frankly, because she herself has issues.

Now, all of us have our moments, including some cringeworthy episodes i dished out when I was her age, hence karmic retribution. My challenge was her lack of consideration for others, and the fact that this was going to turn out badly no matter what I did. And that’s where advice from these blogs, and the Airbnb team, was so helpful.

It’s my choice to accommodate guestts. When I’ve exhausted every possible solution, then it’s time to accept it and move on.

3 Likes

It’s called ear plugs and I always carry them as I’m a light sleeper too. She’s being inconsiderate!

1 Like

Yes, super high maintenance guest and I hope you will write a review accordingly. But before then, what did you do to get her out? You can’t let this person stay!

This guest had 4 prior reviews. 1 involved a host cancellation, another from an absentee host, and 2 more from the same host. The latter has a lovely place, but she charges nearly 80% more than me, and is obviously more tolerant .

I never let this one get to the review stage. I did some soul searching, listened to her issues, and realized that I wasn’t going to achieve her satisfaction. I called ABB, asked for feedback, and alerted them that this probably wasn’t going to work.

Then I emailed the guest via ABB and apologized, offered her the choice of an alternate room, but added that I did not feel confident that this would eliminate her concerns, and that she could cancel with a refund ffor nights unstayed. The choice was hers. She bit. Bye bye. Hasta la yoga mat.

3 Likes

The unfortunate thing is she can still review… As can you, and I wouldn’t hesitate to state that this was a difficult guest

2 Likes

Camp fire Entertainment might be an advantage from your point of view, but not for everyone,

It’s really not so odd for someone to have a fire pit and nice conversation around it in an evening. I’m surprised at the amount of people who can’t see that the ability to have a conversation and perhaps some wine or toasted marshmallows by a fire on a Saturday evening is a normal and nice form of socializing. If they were being loud, and the guest couldn’t sleep, I can also understand being asked to be a bit more quiet. Nothing about this is out of the ordinary to me except for the apparently curt way in which the guest asked for quiet.

1 Like

So, I had the occasion to look into my own village regulations, recently. A neighbor was playing insanely loud music in our neighborhood (kind of infamous in our city for being ultra-snooty and having over-zealous police protection). Turns out you couldn’t make a noise complaint until midnight on a Friday/Saturday.

Is this your house or a business (are they friends borrowing a couch or paying customers)? As an Airbnb user, not host, why would I pay to sleep someplace if I cant sleep?

If I was staying at a friends house and not paying them, I’d provide my own comforts. If I’m paying you for a service, I’d expect comforts and leave feedback reflecting the level of service received.

If you feel your house is your house, then it is NOT a business and you should reconsider if its appropriate for you to sell services. The good thing about you not being a hotel/business is you do not have to accommodate guests every night. If Saturdays are your entertaining night then do not have Airbnb guests.
Or, like others stated, advertise that Saturdays may be considerably noisy at any hour and you have no intention of accommodating noise control (stay at your own risk).