Guest Asked Me To Be Quiet

I’ve only had one guest complain about the lack of dishwasher. I think it was in private feedback. But really, are people so lazy that they can’t wash dishes? I’m gobsmacked that people who stay in your fabulous place have anything to complain about!

I don’t have a dishwasher in my own apartment - which is identical in size to the rental - and I say so in the house tour. 'Here’s the kitchen which has everything you need. Of course, there’s no dishwasher but how bad are they for the environment?"

People never argue when you play the ‘environment card’. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Energy Star rated dishwashers use much less water than hand washing.

1 Like

My take on dishwashers is to be found in the article below that I wrote a few years ago. Don’t miss the video at the end. :slight_smile:

I love both of my dishwashers equally!

1 Like

Your “dishwasher” was slower than molasses…but that’s okay. : )

I thought he was doing a good job…until he dried the glass with the armpit of his T-shirt.

But that’s okay too.

1 Like

This is a tricky one. You want to make everyone happy including yourself. However, when someone is paying you for a service, YOU have to meet THEIR needs. I think the best thing is to include a quiet time for guests but also include a disclaimer that the courtyard is for 24 hours use which at an appropriate noise level. You can also express before booking that you are a social person and are seeking the same type of people to share your home with. This eliminates the problems from the beginning.

3 Likes

Certainly, you have the right to do whatever you like in your home. But, as you are a host, every guest’s quiet time should be considered and we should not be a nuisance for others.

2 Likes

This is tough pill to swallow for some hosts, but you’ve pointed out the reality of the situation. The OP needs to post specific quiet hours–or lack of :slight_smile: so guests know what to expect.

1 Like

Odd that you’d think everyone would think this would be a benefit. I certainly wouldn’t if I were tired. As I mentioned before, everyone needs to be made aware that there’s going to be noise regardless of who wants to sleep or party.

1 Like

This is just a blanket statement that is totally open to interpretation. What if their needs include having a call girl come over, or what if their needs includes eating all your food or in some other way breaking your house rules? There needs to be a balance between meeting their needs and letting the guest walk all over you and abuse their postion staying in your house?

It needs to be said that 99.9 percent of my guests are wonderful and respectful! Most people get it!

Yes I do have the occasional stinker but that is the business we are in.
I’ve been a host since 2010, and in all that time only four really bad bad bad guests.

1 Like

As others have said above, you can make your listing whatever you want as long as you adequately inform guests about what to expect so they can make an informed decision about booking your place. You could say something like: On Saturday nights, guests are welcome to join us for campfire and conversation in the courtyard until around 12:00 a.m. For those who go to sleep earlier and need quiet, we provide earplugs and a white noise machine.

3 Likes

Well, this comes with the caveat: “as long as their needs are reasonable”. I would consider expecting hosts not to have wild parties with Mariachi bands at 4a.m. reasonable. I would NOT consider complaining because hosts are having a social chat at 10.30 (which I consider early evening …) at all reasonable.

(Sigh …) I guess @azreala and I have lived in Spain for far too long …

And why should the guest give a bad review? There was (according to the guest) a “noise” problem. Guest complained and @ourcontenthome graciously solved the problem. Case (should be) closed!

1 Like

I still think its funny when people complain restaurants dont open for dinner until 20/21. I typically hear my neighbors start cooking around 21:30/22

@azreala and @Malagachica and anyone else in Spain:

What time do you finish eating dinner? And what time do you go to bed? And what time do you get up for the day?

Those countries have a culture of siesta during the day when the heat is most intense. From around 2-5 things are closed and people nap during the intense heat. It’s a very different lifestyle from what we for example are used to in England.

I expect the day starts early ; again it’s all about avoiding the hottest part of the day.

Oh…I did live in Spain for 3 months. I was only asking azreala and Malaga about their bed time because I never paid attention to what time the Spanish went to bed. The first month there I stayed with a host mom (she hosted students) and she had dinner on the table at 9 or no later than 9:30 every night. But after that everyone went off to their own room, so I had no idea what time my host mom actually went to sleep.

Then for the next two months I lived with roommates. A couple of them were Spanish. But we all did our own thing, so again I never knew what time they went to bed…as none of us really cooked meals together or anything.

Well, it varies from Summer to Winter (and we do have Winter, we’ve just suffered from floods and gales …), but in Summer we usually eat about 10pm, perhaps 9.30 if I’m just serving something cold. We usually, as Zandra says above, take a siesta during the afternoon, though it’s more a “quiet time” than a nap. I’ve always been a Night Owl, so I rarely get to bed before 1 a.m., but we’re retired from full-time jobs, so as to when I get up … I refuse to answer on the grounds that I may incriminate myself! Spanish working people tend not to get up late, though and although things do close down in the afternoon, most workers don’t actually sleep and don’t generally finish work until 7 or 8, so the Spanish as a whole tend to be rather sleep-deprived. There’s an interesting article here: Sleep Deprivation in the Home of the Siesta : NPR

I’m always full of rather apalled admiration when I read about some people in the U.S. getting up at 5 am - I believe schools also start much earlier than in other countries?

1 Like

I’m a sub and our school day starts at 730 for the el and 800 for the middle and high.

OK…I am too old to recall elementary school hours. But in high school class started at 7:25 or 7:35. And it ended at 2 p.m. Jr high started a bit later in the morning and got out later in the afternoon.

So, if schools are some distance away, do kids have to get the bus at 6.30, or even 6, I suppose?