Does the airbnb biz affect your marriage?

I put in my money and I usually put in all the work which me only i should benefit but like the good wife I am i just put it towards rent and bills -_____-

1 Like

@hypertokyo --just curious, did your partner have a short fuse before you decided to be with him? Takes time sometime to really get to know someoneā€¦suggest you do this (take time) BEFORE you commit to anyoneā€¦(talking from experience!) List the qualities you want in a partner, then go find them.

@Elaine ā€“ save 10% (for rainy days or your divorce) then share the rest of the earnings 50-50. You earned it.

1 Like

I run the ABB business, and hubby works a traditional job. we both get the alerts on our mobiles, which I had to tell him to stop telling me about, bc I get them too. Now he just likes to know the flats are getting booked. He sometime trys to help turn a property with me, and that usually results in snappy words, bc he is either moving too slow or has tried to reinvent the wheel in regards to some way I typically do things.

1 Like

On the whole itā€™s been good for us. When youā€™re retired and youā€™ve been married a squillion years things can get a little ā€¦ boring (no, really?) When we were doing straight B&B he dealt with bookings but I did most of the planning and day-to-day work. The Airbnb is more of a project for both of us and gives us an interest to talk about (though, like @azreala I do get annoyed when he tells me about a booking that I already know about!)

And he LOVES hearing about the dilemmas and problems we talk about here - though i have absolutely banned him from joining!

2 Likes

Yes, a favorite exchange in our marriage

ā€œYouā€™re not doing it right!!ā€

ā€œNo, Iā€™m just not doing it your wayā€

pause

ā€œLike I said! Youā€™re not doing it right!ā€

3 Likes

My husband is a chatter box as we say in Ireland and will spend forever talking to guests, the only ones that escape are ones with little English, but he will give it a go, he is so patient. If we want him we have to ring him from upstairs to get his attention.

1 Like

Yes. Yes it does. As noted in my active thread above. Husband and I have been back and forth about this all day.

Gives us something to complain about jointly, at least! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Funny, my husband and I were talking about this on our way to our nieceā€™s birthday party and until that point it was only good things for our marriage and my husband was happy that I had a way to have an outlet and a way to earn some money (which is hard as a stay at home mom, very valuable job but you sometimes want to earn too).

And then a blow-up at the party with my sister about how she was hurt that we didnā€™t ask the family before turning the family home (actually the apartment above the garage) into a hotel and renting to who knows what and if they move out of town now they either have to get a hotel or stay in a mattress where who knows what happened (huh, same thing except you get the reassurance that your sister cleaned it for youā€¦), and theyā€™re just hurt that I donā€™t have more consideration for my siblings in the decisions Iā€™ve been making in the family home.

Huh, no, I bought it, itā€™s my home, I bought it despite reservations of siblings second guessing and having an opinion about everything. I have to find a way to make it affordable and pay for this monstrosity. Sorry, I thought I got my venting out on the other thread I started: http://www.airhostsforum.com/t/why-does-my-sister-think-she-has-a-say-in-my-running-an-air/7512/1

1 Like

Sarah, it is a very helpful with ANY conflict (or with any argument) to stop a second and address from the outset a wrongful or questionable premise. People pull this trick all the time. The above is the first one in your case. It is NOT ā€˜the family homeā€™, as you stated and know. It was once, it is no longer. What that means is: it is none of her business what YOU do with the home now. By extension, ~her opinion~ is also now none of your business.

Of course, you can say this as sweetly, diplomatically or blunt as you like, depending with what is needed - to get that point across. Soā€¦

1. It is no longer ā€˜the family homeā€™.
  2. Her opinion is none of your business

You establish those facts, end of ā€˜problemsā€™, once it gets through her skull.

3 Likes

So I get to read the story a second time and get annoyed a second time. So manipulative! Sheā€™s hurt because they canā€™t do what you are doing. She wants you to forego all that income so that she doesnā€™t have to stay with her own parents when she comes to town. What a selfish dolt. :rage:

and yet, she hasnā€™t even left town. She just might, someday.

I had to snap on mine for leaving a bad review about a guest when I didnt want to review a guest at all in turn i changed my password on the account so he no longer has control of that

4 Likes

Woah! Lol! That is quite the situationā€¦

When they donā€™t put the issue down they really have an agenda. Itā€™s the Airbnb game and you are it. They want a cut. And once they get a cut they want the whole thing. They donā€™t want to work at all and expect you to work and give them the money. It must be a fantasy or dream of theirs to have a family dispute. It turns into drama about thinking you have money when you just spent all you had on supplies and gas. But Iā€™m just channeling my inner sisterā€™s.

Mine tells me I have to stop obsessing about reviews and heā€™s sick of talking about Airbnb!
He sighs when that Airbnb ā€œchimeā€ comes through and after the Australian Christmas and summer holiday period so do I!