Does the airbnb biz affect your marriage?

Sometimes I think its good because we work as a team and work and talk and make fun of the guests etc…other times not so much. As I sometimes point out “mistakes” hubby made. I remember the time I reamed him for leaving 13 hairs on the floor,I was livid. Never happens now!!!

1 Like

Well, I was hoping it would help me find a husband…

(JUST KIDDING! :grin:)

6 Likes

Diamond’s husband might be available if he misses too many more hairs!

9 Likes

You already have however a sense of humor. :+1:

1 Like

I’m single but I play both the male and female role of hosting. Sometimes I do get annoyed with the wife. Sometimes I do get annoyed with the husband .

12 Likes

haha yes you are right!

1 Like

My husband is totally uninvolved in any of this - he was against it as he finds it stressful, so I manage everything and he’s aware of nothing, even if there is an issue, I tell him after it’s been solved - and he doesn’t have my patience so a guest pulling some sh*t would get him very upset and he’d want to stop doing it - he’s certainly happy though with the money that’s coming in! ;- )

3 Likes

then its your money if he doesnt help.

1 Like

True, but it’s his appartment he bought way before we met and renovated entirely with his money, and was happy with long term rentals - I suggested airbnb because of the higher income that we can put through the purchase of another place - indeed we’re earning more with this…so it goes into a joint account for our project. It’s fair enough, he would not do it otherwise.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, yes.

I am unlucky to have a short-tempered person as my partner and he often gets upset with me when something is difficult. (Even though it’s invariably the guests’ fault). He is the one who goes on flaming rants and I just sigh and put up with it, but it definitely is less fun than when we were just a loving couple and didn’t run a business together. So, if you or your partner is the type to easily get emotional ,it could take a toll on your relationship.

2 Likes

Isn’t that human nature?!

Yeah but you don’t want to see me get in an argument with myself. I look like a crazy person. :smile:

4 Likes

What a great question!!

For us, airbnb made it possible for me to quit one of my jobs (which a new boss had made intolerable anyway) So I’m home more, both in time and attention, (I also educate my kids at home). So we are working together more, which we do enjoy. I think I’m learning so much as a person* that it’s making me a better partner. Our home is becoming more peaceful because I’m not so stressed thinking of having to go to the office any spare minute of the day.

So I would say - it’s been a good thing for our marriage.

*I was thinking today - “Airbnb - cheap but painful therapy”

4 Likes

:))) I was saying that it’s my cheap way to travel when I listen to these guests who go skiing in Japan and the next week to Barcelona. I just sit in my living room listening to them.

1 Like

My husband is more level headed than I am, like the curry grease on the walls my husband looks at me and says “Well, they were here for 2 weeks.” LOL! On and off we’ve been doing this but ABNB is definitely different, but he’s super chill.

1 Like

My husband is ok with the Airbnb thing because it does bring in money. It also gave him an excuse to buy a few things he really needed, for instance, we put the old TV upstairs and he bought a fancy new one for us downstairs. He has talked me down a few times when I was really bothered about something that was actually petty (our first guests were not really that friendly and my feelings were hurt, and he reminded me that they gave us $300 to stay in a room; we were not friends). So that part has been good.

On the other hand, we are both private people so having strangers tromp through the house at any hour is a little weird. It’s actually easier when there are a lot of guests coming and going because you get used to it, but we just had a long break without a guest and now we’ve got some new ones and it feels weird all over again.

We started with one room that was always going to be a guest room for family and friends, so it was no big deal to convert it to the pay model. The second room had been his library / drawing room and we had to move all that stuff to a boring square room (the Airbnb rooms have fabulous windows in a half turret shape). He was super cranky about that for weeks. It doesn’t help that it’s been completely dead here and the new room has not booked at all.

Overall this has been a good experience and the small bumps in the road haven’t caused major damage to our relationship. Both of us have our eye on the long term and Airbnb is helping us to achieve our goals.

1 Like

My husband told me last night: "You’re just weird - you don’t want to stay on the top floor apatements in Paris because of “the people on the roofs” (? lol), but then you invite some strangers TO SLEEP IN OUR HOME.

1 Like

it does help that you are working towards a common goal. And as we broke the 3000 a mo record for a 500 sq ft tiny room we hi fived each other!Yes! I have a 4 bedroom house I only get 2000 a mo for!(next project is to remove that tenant and rehab that house as soon as my airbnb credit card debt gets pd off!)

2 Likes

haha yes, one of those staycations!

1 Like

it sounds like you’re feeling a little better…

1 Like