Contactig Other AirBnB Hosts in Your Area

I am new to this forum and so glad I found it! I was wondering if you guys knew of a way to contact other hosts in your area. I am trying to find out if I need a permit to run our Airbnb in my town. I contacted AirBnb and they suggested I contact another Superhost but I can’t figure how to contact them without trying to book a night with them.

I have contacted my City of Tulsa and have been getting the run around. Some of the people I have talked with don’t even know what Airbnb is!

Thanks for any help!

What I did instead of that was to call my city government and my county government. Find out if you need a business license and what city, county and state taxes you will need to assess and remit. Once they understand that you are doing short-term rental and exactly what you are doing, they’ll know what to tell you to do. Likely you’ll be bounced from office to office at first, but the information should be there.

Best of luck on your new venture!

1 Like

Rather than saying that you ‘do Airbnb’ tell the city that you need information on licencing for short term rentals.

3 Likes

Don’t contact your competition. You are likely to get crickets or some rude responses. If someone looking to compete with my listing tried to ask me that question I wouldn’t answer!

If you can’t get a simple answer yes or no from the city, it’s probably okay. Just make sure to collect your state transient and local city taxes.

1 Like

My local Airbnb office (Berlin, Germany) helped me organize a local meetup. All they wanted me to do was to find a room in a nice, centrally located restaurant. They then sent out all the invitations to lots of local hosts - and about two dozen of them showed up at the arranged time.

2 Likes

Why must we view Superhosts in our locale as “competition” no to be contacted? Every Airbnb has something different to offer.
I am convinced that no hosts in my city are “registered” and I have a couple friends who do Airbnb and I know they hope they will keep flying under the radar.
But…I still would like to see Airbnb collect the taxes, and it seems they are willing to but it is a problem of the local government to not take them up on that.
I would love to organize other hosts in my area to be active in promoting a tax collection method through Airbnb, but I believe they are all scared…
Or new…
I switched to long term last year to avoid any city or state run-ins. Our state congress is looking at passing onerous regulations, too…

1 Like

How do you Eberhard, I am seeking information
for contacting the Host in my local area.

How did you find your local Airbnb office?

Inn Keeper
Helen

Hi Helen,

well, that’s a very good question. Airbnb is sometimes making it difficult for them to get contacted locally, for whatever reason. I think there used to be a list of local telephone numbers, on this very forum. Why don’t you go look for it?

However, another good starting point might be this page
https://www.airbnb.com/careers/locations

The German office is specifically located at

Airbnb Germany GmbH
Brunnenstraße 196
10119 Berlin

but I’m afraid I never bothered to find out Airbnb’s physical address in another country.

Cheers,
Eberhard

This might be another topic, actually, but since you mentioned it: I was discussing this on another forum, today, and I found this great link

I never knew Airbnb are actually helping to collect taxes, in the US of all places! I only wish this could be done in other countries, too. It would greatly improve Air host’s reputation if it was known that Airbnb helped to collect local taxes. Right now, almost everybody thinks “tax evaders” if you are mentioning that you’re a host on Airbnb.

Hello Eberhard!

I see you are in Cologne. :slight_smile:

Exactly! They are doing it in other places in the U.S. Airbnb
has told me, but who knows what is correct!, that it is a problem with the
government
in my locale not cooperating with Airbnb! Actually the state of Virginia
legislature was pushing a bill to fine undisclosed Airbnbs and the city
over from
me (Virginia Beach) did pass a law last year to crack down with $1000 fines
on
"unregistered" Airbnb’s.

What I like most about Airbnb is opening up my door and welcoming them truly
as guests in my home. If I have to collect taxes and handle money, it
spoils the
entire experience for me.

Last fall I switched to longer term. Optimally I would like to have 3 month
guests
(3 months is legal in Norfolk with no room lodging or occupancy taxes) but
in practice
it’s hard to attract a 3 monther, so when needed I take a 30 day guest.
Trade off is
lower revenue, but the up side is less work!

I have an article that has been in my inbox for MONTHS that I had found on
the host’s
forum. I will forward to you.

thank you for contacting me! KK (Norfolk, VA)

LOL, it’s in German!
Here is the article I saved from the host forum discussing collecting of
taxes: