Buying an electric kettle

I have a similar one, yes.

I got my new electric kettle yesterday as well. It is a Hamilton Beach glass and stainless steel. The power light is a row of blue LEDs in the base (cool) and the pitcher part lifts off of the base with the plug. Iā€™d want that style if I preferred the kettle remain plugged in. If I wanted to encourage people to unplug the kettle when not in use I would get an all-in-one model.

Hi @KKC,

Ah, Ok. Then it looks like the base and the pitcher are designed to be separate. And one part you are not supposed to wash, though Iā€™m not sure which part that is.

Donā€™t wash the base, it has the electronics in it and will be ruined if you wash/iimmerse it. Just wipe clean.

Ah, Ok. Donā€™t wash the base. Check.

1 Like

When I was a new host , I kept having to buy replacement glass carafes as guests broke them endlessly. I would get annoyed, Then I realized I had a coffee station that I had never used. It is carafe-less and the coffee fills in a warmer that stays hot and you fill a cup one at a time. It just allows you to fill your cup with by pressing a button. No more broken carafes.

Iā€™m so glad the electric kettle saga continues! Dear @faheem, a whole new world has opened up for you - weā€™ll soon have you drinking tea like a Brit ā€¦ and just wait till you get to the conversation of whether you put the milk in first or last ā€¦

But, please, as @KKC says DONā€™T wash the base (I hope weā€™ve caught you in time!) Actually, donā€™t wash the kettle part either, itā€™s not supposed to be immersed in water, just wipe it with a damp cloth. If you have hard water you may have to descale the inside sometimes - the instructions that come with it should tell you how to do that.

Hi @Malagachica,

Iā€™ll be content if I have my guests drinking tea like a Brit. :slight_smile:
As I mentioned elsewhere, I got a kettle, but nobody has used it yet.
Iā€™m currently on visit no 3, which is repeat guests. The guests of visit no 1 came back again. They had suggested a kettle, but apparently donā€™t feel impelled to try it.

Well, the kettle hasnā€™t been used yet, so no washing. But I canā€™t control what my guests might do. I question whether buying so fragile that it canā€™t safely be immersed in water is a good idea, though. And are you sure one canā€™t wash the kettle part? That doesnā€™t sound very hygenic.

Yes! I didnā€™t word that correctly. There should be no need to wash any part of it. Since itā€™s just for boiling water it will probably be the cleanest thing in your house.

1 Like

Evidently Queen Elizabeth II takes a proper electric kettle with her when she travels the world. This is from the BBC:

Fond of familiar pleasures, the Queen stops every day at 5pm for a traditional English cuppa. Among the essential items packed for each trip are a kettle, a selection of teas and a stash of Dundee cake.

ā€œShe likes to plug in the kettle herself,ā€ a former royal aide told the Daily Mail.

3 Likes

I wonder what kind of kettle the Queen is packing. I suppose it must have ā€œRoyalā€ in its nameā€¦

2 Likes

You could google it - brands the royals use have the royal stamp thing on them.

Hi @Kirsty_Jane,

True. But Iā€™m anti-monarchical, so I donā€™t really need to know.

1 Like

All this time reading this thread thinking oh brotherā€¦kettlesā€¦who cares. Well it happened. Our big burly house contractor nearly cried when I told him we didnā€™t have an electric kettle. Heā€™s staying with us for 3 weeks while our renos get done. ā€œBut I like to break for tea in the afternoonā€. For reals. Guess I better pick one up tomorrow lest he walk off the job. How handy this information has suddenly become! :wink:

5 Likes

Yes, apparently electric kettles are an essential part of modern life. Who knew?

3 Likes

ok, in the USA here. WHICH ONE? Do I go low end (Proctor Silex for $15) or high end (Breville $75) or is there hopefully one that everyone will say 'aah, thatā€™s the one"? Thanks

Personally, when it comes to basic electric, electronic and computer equipment, Iā€™m a high end kind of guy. You get what you pay for. And your guests, at least some of them, will appreciate nice things. Then again, you donā€™t want to get anything that is too nice or fragile, because it might get broken.

Oh, and I depend heavily on Amazon reviews. Personally, I think that makes it easy for Americans.

OK, hereā€™s a genuine except from a review I received today:

ā€¦and there was an electric kettle and a teapot (very important for us Brits).

:slight_smile:

5 Likes

I got this one. Just because of the looks and the blue lights. Seriously. But I think what you pick should be what goes with your listing or kitchen. This one goes with my kitchen. If you have all high end stuff, get the Breville. If you have a more modest listing, get a lower end one. Personally Iā€™m not a fan of expensive things in a rental. http://smile.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-40865-Electric-1-7-Liter/dp/B00CXMO01I?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

2 Likes

Hey @KKC,

Thatā€™s certainly a handsome looking kettle. Does it work well?