Buying an electric kettle

We have that one in our rental- works great. I have the stainless steel version in our flat in SF and its also fantastic, I’ve been using it almost everyday for 2 years with no issues.

1 Like

Long topic on kettles. Haha

I have this one

And matching toaster

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141887265529

3 Likes

So far, yes. It’s only been used 3 times. It’s somewhat redundant since I have a water cooler/dispenser that also dispenses scalding hot water but after reading this thread I decided to spend the $30.

2 Likes

Costco has pretty decent stainless electric kettles for around $20 USD, the nice thing is you could buy a pourover (the kind that just goes on top of your cup) set up for coffee and people can use the hot water for that, too.

Russell hobbs is a good medium priced brand :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just got one at Wal Mart by Farberware for 19.99. Works like a champ and I for one love it. Everyone should have an electric kettle as standard equipment.

1 Like

I really want to get one. I will use it for my tea. And I drink (I know this sounds gross) instant coffee in the morning, so I will use it for that.

And the takeaway from this… There’s something to this kettle thing. 147 replies for a kettle.

6 Likes

I’ve still not bought a kettle, but I probably will by September, as I seem to get many guests from Europe in the Fall.

2 Likes

For those of you keen to the issue, what is your reaction to single-brew tea pods (Keurig)?

I don’t like them primarily for environmental reasons. I think they are handy for rentals. I have a 5 cup coffee maker in my kitchen and I recycle all the filters and grounds in my compost bin. I also like my coffee fresh and strong and I have two big mugs each morning, about 3 pods worth. No way a Keurig pre packed pod is going to be fresh. Once I’m filling my own reusable pod all the ease and convenience is gone. No Keurig for me.

2 Likes

I have one, mostly for the convenience to my guests, I personally do not use it. And actually, the one I have is huge, if I ever see a small one on the cheap, I’m going to get it and give my big one away. I also struggle with the fact that those cups are not recyclable. Hate that. I feel guilty every time someone uses one in my home. Not that I’m an avid recycler, just a normal person, but I do try to choose carefully when I buy things when I can.

yes me to :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Me three. I loved,the Keurig style nespresso I had in my DC hotel room but felt guilt everytime I took a sip, knowing the environmental mess this pod would create.

3 Likes

Also, I don’t think it’s healthy to drink beverages that involve plastic coming in contact with hot water.

Btw: Keurings don’t seem to get the water hot enough to make really good coffee.

I will use one in a hotel, if it’s there, but I wouldn’t buy one for my personal use.

actually, Keurigs have temperature as an option in their menus on the machine… just saying’…

As I read in an article, Keurig is the triumph of form over function.

2 Likes

Completely agree with you.

Tip when buying a kettle, it should only have an on off switch, don’t buy the ones with varying temperature settings, they are impossible. I love my Breville, but mine is all Stainless steel, no glass. Mind you if I was buying kettles for each room, I’d buy the small plastic ones, work well and not expensive. When I lived in Florida, I had to get my mother to ship me a kettle form Canada.

Even the man who invented the pod has gone public to say they are filling the landfills and he wished he had not invented them! So please, don’t do pods!
Those who are really serious about their tea often travel with their own since it is light & easy to pack. I would just provide tea bags for the rest!

2 Likes