Buying an electric kettle

Hi @Garden1Gnome,

Yes, I guess it makes sense to put a smoke detector in a room where cooking is not happening. Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve added it to my todo list - it’s getting quite long. :slight_smile: And my rules include no smoking. So if they smoke in there, they are violating the rules.

My wife is asking for a kettle now. Seems the pot on a stove is not good enough for her.

1 Like

@Malagachica - that reminds me of when I used to regularly go back to England. I’d have to take a spare suitcase just for the chocolate and other British stuff I wanted to bring back.

P.S. I was born just a few miles from Sheffield :slight_smile:

Hello, it’s missing my favourite: Walker’s Crisps. LOL. 4 stars for you!

1 Like

Oh no not four stars haha!

1 Like

I’m going to get me a kettle, and as someone (sorry, not sure who!) mentioned on another thread to get the single serving instant things from Starbucks for the upstairs ‘coffee station’. I really am not fond of the pollution from K Cups. And I make THE worst pot of coffee anyone has ever had, I’m not kidding. It’s always horrible no matter what I do.

As far as instant goes, this is the best I’ve tried:

And if you get Mini-Moos (little tubs of half and half that don’t require refrigeration) instead of the God awful Coffee Mate, it’s not too bad.

I would rather drink good instant than bad drip coffee that’s been sitting in a pot burning all day.

3 Likes

It us so funny the things you learn here. A whole discussion about electric kettles. I thought they would be so commonplace. Can’t love without mine. I’m off to make another cup of tea now. Essential in Australia.

1 Like

Thanks so much @Garden1Gnome, heading to amazon to put on wish list now so I remember them !

I stooooopidly allowed candles in my studio up until recently. I went on a ride along with a FF friend once who told me that the leading cause of house fires after kitchen fires was unattended candles.

Once I noticed a guest (one of my favorite ones ever) leave a candle unattended when she went to bed. I could see it on the patio table just burning away. I did not want to go down to blow it out… and was just hoping it wouldn’t burn the house down.

When she checked out she sheepishly showed me a candle hole in the tablecloth… (offered to pay) so after that, I removed all candles and banned them in my house rules… as well as incense, and mosquito coils. For ambiance I bought little tea lights that are battery powered. Much better than candles… yikes!

3 Likes

My sweet sister reviewed my ‘wish list’ on amazon and got me a bunch of the electric candles and electric tealights for my birthday. I LOVE THEM, and I love my sister :slight_smile: They offer great ambience with little hassle to the guests and peace of mind for me.
Admittedly, I’m prone to smudging, and some incense burning, as well as using essential oils in special burners that require real tealights. Sometimes I leave those out for guests, sometimes not.

2 Likes

Incense can be a tricky one… I find it leaves lingering odors.

1 Like

I regularly burn sage, lemon, lavender. My house kinda smells like a yoga studio.

1 Like

I use a patchouli insense stick in my apartment every morning :slight_smile:
I love it.

2 Likes

I use our own grown and distilled lemon myrtle essential oil when mopping and the fragrance is amazing

1 Like

I can’t stand the little uht milks - I just tell guests to use the fresh milk in our fridge. Milk is cheap here.

Not necessarily for guest use, but this makes the best coffee I have ever been able to make. If you’re near a Bed Bath and Beyond, use a coupon. Can be used for tea instead. Look up on youtube how the pros use it (not like the instructions).

3 Likes

I am leery of this, and rethinking the single serving instant packets also, because it’s beige carpet up there where I am considering installing a coffee station…don’t want coffee grounds being spilled.

Put a dark color patterned rug over the beige carpet or get the opaque plastic carpet protector or install tile where the coffee station is going to be.

1 Like

Garden1gnome,

I thought about a Keurig and just offer a Mr. Coffee maker with a few complimentary pouches of Sam’s Club coffee. Or they can purchase their own. Would guests expect an unlimited supply of cups? The majority of people do not use the Sam’s club pouches. But I am thinking if I offered K-cups then everyone might use them? And if there are 4 adults staying for 5 nights, and each adult has two cups of coffee a day - that would be 40 cups of coffee?