Buying an electric kettle

This might be TMI but another thing I stock up on is cotton knickers from Marx and Sparx. They make the best and they are also very cheap!

4 Likes

I got a whistle one because I know people can walk away from boiling water easily. It is a stove top ketlte. I donā€™t want my counter top cluttered. I upgraded but that is just what will have to do. My kitchen counter tops are wood too .Itā€™s a step up from my boiling pot of water though.

@felixcat, I googled and couldnā€™t find any freebies, I missed it :slight_smile:

This is our little breakfast bar - help yourself type set up

6 Likes

Hi @Kirsty_Jane,

Do you keep all these items in the kitchen area?

I love your breakfast nook!

1 Like

One more piece of belated paranoia. Is an electric kettle a fire hazard? This is a big concern for me.

A decent brand like you purchased isnā€™t. If it were a knockoff from an open air market in China, then maybe.

In university everyone had cheap plastic ones from K-Mart and no one ever started a fire. They have come a long way since then. They are only on for a couple of minutes and then turn off by themselves.

2 Likes

Hey @Garden1Gnome,

Thanks for the reassurance. :slight_smile: I worry a lot about fire.
Regards, Faheem

2 Likes

Does the room have a smoke detector? If not, it should.

I am going to have your same set up and serve breakfast when the efficiency is ready to rent out in a few months. I guess I will need to buy an electric kettle then since there wonā€™t be a stove to heat water on!

1 Like

Thank You, Kirsty_Jane: this helped me a lotā€¦ Iā€™m just starting with the AIR and next week Iā€™ll be making this kind of solution! :slight_smile:

1 Like

The room which is being rented? No, it doesnā€™t. But wouldnā€™t everything set off a smoke detector? My experience is that they are very sensitive. But maybe that should be a topic for a different thread.

Thanks for the tip on Chinese tourists and their hot water habit Garden1Gnome. I found several articles on this. Fascinating! May I quote you if I write an article?

I can even buy Yorkshire Tea ib a supermarket here in Spain now! Unfortunately youā€™re right about the water, and my daughter and grandchildren donā€™t have room in their suitcase to bring me any from Sheffield when they visit!

1 Like

Thatā€™s the same with any appliance though including your microwave and TV. Itā€™s a habit - I always turn things off at the wall.

every hotel I stay in for work has an electric kettle in the room along with a smoke detector - no issues there

@faheem yes they are all in our kitchen as it doubles as our breakfast stuff as well - we Air our spare room. We havenā€™t had any guests abuse it - 60 guests now.

1 Like

Sure, go ahead. Iā€™m sure if you go on a forum where expats in China post, you will find mentions of the topic too.

The only time mine has gone off is when I burnt something in the oven.

I donā€™t think cigarette smoke sets them off, but do you want them smoking in the room anyway?

Sometimes people do really stupid things like leave a candle burning, or burn things for fun (pyros.). A smoke detector would keep their stupidity from damaging your property.