Any suggestions on how to deter guests who support Trump?

I’m not trying to start a debate or anything, but as I shift into high-season and more requests, I was wondering if anyone had practical suggestions about deterring guests who are Trump-supporters. I obviously don’t want to write anything explicit into my ad as it would attract too much attention and backlash.

I don’t think my actual photo (I’m an Asian American woman) is a strong enough deterrent (but please correct me if I’m wrong). I was thinking of a photo where I’m wearing a head-scarf and could be read as Muslim. There are tons of hosts in my area and my goal is to just have this constituency move on to the next listing where they will be more comfortable. I am generally booked all Spring and Summer (as much as I can handle anyway).

This isn’t a joke – the thought of running around and catering to guests who support this candidate would be incredibly humiliating for me.

7 Likes

What kind of place do you rent?

This is a private apt that is connected to my home.

And the political leaning of your guests will impact you how?

4 Likes

I am hosting these people in my house and I cater to their needs. The entire scenario causes me extreme discomfort and I think it’s reasonable for me to try, to the best of my ability, to minimize having guests that would cause me this kind of distress.

Put another way, I think it would be entirely reasonable for Jewish hosts to want to deter Neo-Nazi guests and steer them away from their homes.

4 Likes

I can’t say that I like Mr. Trump very much (not that I have anything to say anyway as I don’t live in the US), but as a liberal and atheist I would never rent a place from a host obviously presenting himself/herself as Muslim (or any other religion. … and as I usually travel with my partner, I don’t think they would like to have us as guests anyway).

When I am looking for an accommodation in a destination with many listings, I usually select listings from hosts I can relate to, from what their profile and home decor tell about them.

I think that most people will get a feel of what you think and who you are, if your profile and the way your apartment is arranged are subtle reflections of yourself, without having to scream what you think.

2 Likes

Since AirBnB forbids us to discuss politics, I try to give clues of my political leanings so folks can self-select if they think they’d be a good fit for my home. I describe myself as a vegan and a hippy, I require recycling as a house rule (though most listings in my city do), and I have brightly colored hair and a facial piercing in my picture.

One of my friends even writes, “POC and LGBT friendly” in her listing, which would probably scare off Trump supporters.

2 Likes

Super helpful, Xena – I think POC and LGBT-friendly ought to do it.

I also stock the apt fridge with alcohol, etc. so I hear what you’re saying Barthelemy. I’m an atheist too and I can see myself hesitating (as a guest) for fear of unwittingly offending a Muslim host, etc.

What are the Trump-hating hosts in Cleveland doing? :smile: (where the contested convention will be held).

Chicago, don’t worry… it will be a cold day in hell before that guy is elected president!

1 Like

What is this acronym POC?

1 Like

People of Color. Hmm, if the acronym isn’t generally well-known, it may not be such an effective deterrent??

Maybe I just need to state, “We happily welcome people of all races, religions, and sexual orientations.”

Does anyone think that Trump supporters would know what LGBT means?

4 Likes

Isn’t everyone of some color or another?

8 Likes

Some groups in this country are racialized (or constructed) as non-white.

White ethnic immigrants in the United States like Italians, Irish, et.c were also racialized as non-white in the 19th Century until their ethnic differences were incorporated into whiteness in the 20th C.

Anyway, person of color or people of color is a term for those racialized as non-white.

1 Like

Robert_Dudley, I couldn´t agree with you more. As a conservative, not necessarily associated with Donald Trump, but non-the-less with conservative values, this is what I´ve seen for years working in a profession that is vastly diverse. And I should say, I have no problem working with them. But I´ve seen them to be most hypocritical in the area of tolerance. I´m sure one can think of a way to be exclusionary in a setting where one has the right to accept or reject people based on their beliefs and profess to be ¨tolerant´ at the same time . hmmmmmmm I know a lot of Donald Trump supporters. Sad to sterotype them as bigots. Waaaaay sad. Bigots do exist in every pursuasion…EVERY.

8 Likes

I have no desire to ever claim myself to be tolerant of ALL political ideologies or politicians. For instance, I am not tolerant of Fascism, believe it or not. I am very skeptical of being so caught up in the liberal notion of tolerance as some kind of virtue that it could be extended to the notion of being “tolerant” of the merely “different” views of say, Adolf Hitler.

I have no qualms about being utterly intolerant of Donald Trump and what he represents. Many conservatives would really balk at the notion that Trump is a “conservative” given his positions on religion, trade, abortion, health care, and marriage.

5 Likes

Teak – some people don’t want to host Russian or Chinese guests, others don’t want to host college kids or seniors who leave 3 star reviews, and others don’t want to host love-struck couples who leave the sheets riddled with semen stains. We all have our preferences.

I’m concerned because you seem more familiar with Trump supporters and indicate that it would not be an effective deterrent to state, “All races, nationalities, and sexual orientations welcome”. (I’m not trying to make an actual statement of “tolerance,” I’m just trying to drive a particular set of guests away and pictures won’t help me filter my specific preferences.) Can you think of something else that might hit at a common denominator amongst the pro-trump people you know? This is a real and genuine question. thank you for your time.

2 Likes

I think it is too subtle. I don’t think there’s any way to exclude Trump supporters without coming right out and saying it: If you support Trump, move along. This is not the house for you. " But that seems pretty extreme! Might scare off normal people. :smile:

Trump especially. He appears to be ORANGE! And, after all, Orange is the new Black. :smile:

8 Likes

Thank you for being genuine in your question. So often these threads turn dialogue that is less than genuine and that´s why I haven´t said a word for seven months but could not resist on this one. First off, of course conservatives know what LGBT means unless they´ve been living under a rock. Oh wait, a lot of people do… Anyway, can I, with all sincerity respond in this way: While the media has made Trump out to be a bigot and yes, he has not helped the matter which is why I choose not to support him for the way he has come across, all his supporters and NOT bigots. Of course, there are some who are and there are liberals who are just as bigoted, I could sight some blatant examples in recent news here but I won´t , anyway, IMO a significant amount, and truly the ones I know, are NOT bigoted. They are just so upset with the way our nation has been weakened, our boarders have been left wide open and the current administration has done little to stop it. Beyond that is the desperation they feel about our constitutional rights being taken away. Are they choosing the right leader? Perhaps not. I cringe to think of it but none the less these are good people. with whom I hold the same values. I am delighted to live in a country where a black man could become president but I feel as strongly about what he has done to our country as you do about Trump. I feel even more so about who could be his predicessor. But here´s my point: I am a Super Host and I have Instant Booking. I turn no one away (fairly, I must say, I´m not in a city but a rural area). We´ve hosted a significant chunk of people who are as far as the east is from the west to our personal values. But you know, it´s good to sit and dialoge about our beliefs and how we see things. We steer away from talking politics but still go away with a clearer understanding of others´ point of view. Our lives, and I believe theirs , too, are richer for it. Last fall I hosted a young woman from the Netherlands who works for the UN with a Peace Keeping deligation in the Sudan. What an incredible time we had!! Actually, it was for a cycling/hosting organization. She, a staunch liberal, left a very complimentary review on the website and finished it with, ¨ This is America full on. Put all your liberal ideas aside and listen to what this couple has got to say, it’ll give you a great peek into the American way of life. Thanks so much guys, you are the best!!¨" So I guess what I´m saying is please don´t sterotype people that way. You will miss out and so will they. Perhpas it might help change the world. And lastly, if they are that bigoted, they will see your picture and not stay there anyway…just sayin. Please come and stay at my house! I´ll roll out the red carpet for you.

6 Likes

Thanks for your genuine response, I truly appreciate it. Your desire to engage in real dialogue with people of very different political persuasions is admirable and is what the country is so sorely lacking right now. I’m scared for the future.

I’d love to ask you a few more questions if you don’t mind! You don’t bring up any economic concerns but my guess is that Trump supporters are very frustrated about declining wages, rising costs, diminished opportunities – and they blame immigrants and Others. If this is the case (and perhaps I’m wrong and economics is not at stake) why don’t they direct their frustration at corporations and the wealthy who have concentrated unprecedented levels of wealth during the same period that so much of the middle-class has declined and the numbers of the working poor have expanded? Do Trump supporters believe that undocumented immigrants and impoverished minorities who can barely drive or walk down the street without getting pulled over yet also somehow have some remarkable power to call all the shots? They have the power to influence boardroom decisions? Create free-trade agreements? Build factories in Asia? I’ve always wondered about this paradox – why is their anger not directed at Walmart paying minimum wage? Why is their anger not directed at billionaires, like Trump, who has probably never done an honest day’s worth of work in his life?

Also, in terms of constitutional rights, are you referring to gun control or something else?