Airbnb guests who help themselves to things

@SweetDreams another non house rule reader here. They’re all the same :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Nah didn’t mean that but I thought it would be funny to turn a few fellow hosts hair grey.

The house rules never take long to read, and it’s about respecting your host when you take the time to read them. I hope you’ll read them in future, good guest or no.

1 Like

But in your earlier post you said the property manager said you were the guests from hell and obviously did not read any of the hosue rules. Quite an odd thing to say in a reivew about guests who perfectly followed the rules.

My girlfriend just walked in the door, and she told me she always reads the house rules. Since I’m doing the driving, I didn’t realize that she was reading the rules. We drive a Suburban sometimes so we need a large place to park. I just presumed she was emailing back and forth, I didn’t realize that she was reading the rules! When we had the problem with the thermostat-coffee mug, The Host told me I hadn’t read the rules and, in fact I hadn’t, because I was driving the whole time, but my gfriend had! So I stand corrected.

1 Like

Um, every guest needs to read the rules because hosts need every guest to have the information not just the ones who feel like reading them.

1 Like

My girlfriend turned down the air conditioning, because our room was getting sun and we were sweltering. I know we had behaved ourselves in so many respects. Maybe something I did I reminded her of her ex? Or something? And I’m exaggerating when I say we were the guests from hell, it’s just after we left on such good terms (or so I thot!) after two nights, we were shocked to see a negative review.

1 Like

It was the apt owner who we stayed with. The listing was posted by a management company or something as it had someone elses picture & name, and the city “listed” was hundreds of miles away. I suppose I could have left HER a negative listing, but I presumed the little issues were nothing more than a tiny bump in the road. Boy was I wrong! And we had left a positive review, we had no clue she was seething… My ex was always getting in peoples faces and space. That made me all the more concious of stepping lightly.

1 Like

Helen, I stand corrected. My girlfriend always read the rules, but I was behind the wheel, keeping my eyes down the road

1 Like

I don’t know if you’re just having fun with us all, or if you’re really serious?

Of course no host would want to have someone in their home who hasn’t read what their rules are! I don’t care how well-behaved you think you are - there are things you need to be aware of. Thinking that we’re all “digging for dirt” is just laughable.

When booking through all listing sites I know of, before you can book you must agree that you’ve read the rules. Since you’ve obviously “ticked that box” (because you’ve stayed in the house) it means that you’ve lied about it. So I guess your “honest and ethics” are out the window, along with your reading of the rules.

So you thought you didn’t have to listen to THEIR rules, either!? Just do it the way YOU think it should be done?

BTW, you mentioned that you “always communicate with guests be sure to arrive before curfew”. So DO you currently invite guests into your home (?) as this is very confusing.

2 Likes

I was being serious, computers do this flatening of things, it’s hard to qualify someone’s tone. :smiling_imp: :scream:And I don’t receive guests, I currently live in a small 1 bedroom. And I answered the rules issue a couple of times, but I’ll answer again. My girlfriend does all the booking, so I wasn’t really aware of the rules that she was reading. I apologized already, and the curfew meant we make sure to arrive before the rules say we should, and we maintain communication at all times… And all my comments seem flat flat flat, so I’ll ad some lol’s and happy faces… :smile_cat:

Yes, I had read that a few times. But many of your previous posts indicate that YOU don’t read the rules, and you were defending that point quite vehemently…

… regardless of what your girlfriend does, as Ellen (not Helen) stated.

Ditto.

1 Like

Well the guest only gets to see your review once he posted his own review. So there is not a lot of risk involved, I guess. To be on the safe side, leave your review at the end of the two week review period.

I apologize for being so forceful about the rules that I hadn’t read, but regarding the woman who wrote us up so nastily, my girlfriend asking for a larger mug for her coffee, and my username not being my actual name weren’t breaking the rules, I don’t think??? The guest doesn’t get to see what’s on the hosts end of the computer screen. Much the same way when you send an email. I get some that just show a single letter! Who on this forum uses their real name? I understand this is just a chit chat forum, but I’m sure we just rubbed her the wrong way. I think I’m demonstrating my integrity (if I’m chosing the correct word) by sticking around and answering your feelings. I’m even trying to lower the tone by clarifying my position and my statements. Back to ranting for a second… When I was a landlord and living on a student rental slummy street, our upstairs tenants would order pizza late at nite or after midnite, and inevitably the delivery person would knock on our door because it was immediately above the common staircase. Sure we had rules, but they didn’t have the common sense or respect to think about the consequence of a knock at the wrong door late at nite. In reading some of the other threads, I see that there’s a distinct lack of respect shown by some guests. Of course we’re reading only about worst case scenarios. Another rant, but in a more pleasant back-patting kind of way. We had to call the local police to report a neighbor depositing their trash in our dumpster. After we filed the 4th complaint (perpetrator found guilty-fined), the cop asked if anyone lived in our 20-something unit building. He said that he had never had a call there, at least in our ten years of ownership. What I’m trying to say is I act like I would expect others to act. Respectfully and light on their feet.

Maybe it’s time to go back on-topic? :scream:

1 Like

Speaking of off topic, I’m listening to Marketplace.org in my other ear, and one of the guest speakers just plugged her book. It’s about the guys that upset the room rental business… Yup… Airbnb, out in 2 weeks

It was brief, just after a chat about media coverage of US President elect, around minute 6 or so…

The Airbnb Story by Leigh Gallagher, available Feb 14 2017 @ Amazon

I tryed to copy todays show link, it came up funky, sorry

I use my real name on this forum.

My guess is that your girlfriend broke the house rules by changing the thermostat.

Interesting. Just ordered it. Thanks.

Glad I could help. The plug kinda’ came up totally unexpected, if you listened to the Marketplace show