Airbnb guests who help themselves to things

Hi everyone. I’m new to this forum and have been doing airbnb for about 5 years now. I rent out 1 room in my house of 4 bedrooms. Does anyone have any tips on those guests that come in and act like they’ve paid for the whole house. I have things listed in the rules section but it seems trivial to list things that are common courtesy. Such as guests that go around the house opening my windows because they want fresh air? Guests that take over the lounge room and use the tv and xbox and other stereo equipment without asking or considering that it belongs to the family who’s house they are staying in. A guest this week opened the front door shirtless to let in a friend if mine when she knocked on the door…she didnt know what to say…or who this stranger was. My rules list not to enter the downstairs area of the house but i still have to send guests upstairs who decide they want to have a look anyway. I feel somewhat between a rock and a hard place as often when I’ve pulled guests up nicely on breaking the rules…these are the ones that write nasty reviews. I’m almost finished with airbnb I think…in spite of it being a great way for me to support the charity work that I do.

Try posting – in large lettering – your Rules about off-limits areas on the inside and outside of the rental room. At the top of the list put “Failure to obey the following rules will result in you being asked to leave.”

1. Downstairs rooms are off limits at all times
  2. Windows will remain closed at all times
    etc.
1 Like

Ken’s idea about reminding them of the rules in the room is a good one. Do you have instant book on? Maybe you should turn it off so you can have a conversation with people about your expectations before they book.

I’m assuming there’s not a way to close off the downstairs and still get your guests in and out.

2 Likes

Most people i hosted are respectful of the fact that they are guests and they are renting just a room, but sometimes i get guests like you had.
I have a limited use of kitchen which is described very detailed in the rules section. What buggles my mind is how people just assume that they can do whatever they want in someones house and dont read the rules. I just had a young couple from Argentina who went in a very early morning 6:45 to the kitchen and started making coffee, some complicated gourmet breakfast and woke up the whole house with 3 other guests and us. My fault though, usually i repeat my rules when they check in, but it was very hectic here before New Year and i skipped that part.
But when i stopped her that morning, and referred her to my my kitchen rules, next day she started cooking some complicated lunch that took her more than an hour and she fried, which is not allowed, as i allow only boiling.

After i stopped her twice within the next 2 days and again reffered her to my rules, i asked them to leave. I told them that their behavoir is totally disrespectful to me as they continiously do whatever they want to do and ignore me time after time. They appologized and stopped cooking, they had nowhere to go as it was New Years, and prices went through the roof.
But… they hang out in a kitchen, talking on their cell phones loudly, my husband had to stop them repeatedly and asked them to go outside or to their room. They opened windows after i specifically asked them if windows are closed and if i can turn on AC. It was just one thing after another with this couple. WHen they left i sighed with relief.

I would advice to to go over the privacy issue, and how you need it when you are home, and how you need the use of the house. Write and tell them in person how they can not “explore” and go to downstairs, about opening windows, etc.

I have a young couple staying now, longer term. Very sweet, and very respectful. But, there is not taking shoes issue. Every single day i stopped them from going upstairs with their shoes on. He told me yesterday that this is new to him, to take his shoes off, and he is trying to get used to the idea.

Most important , do not be afraid to tell what you think should be told. In corteous, calm manner but say things they need to hear. Most times it works. Many times people do not even realize that they are doing something wrong. With some , doesn t matter what and how many times you tell them, they will still find something to do wrong.

4 Likes

If you have an instant booking, I think, it is more difficult to stick your house rules into guest’s head.
I do not have instant booking. Before my bookings I ask every guests to confirm that they have read my house rules.

2 Likes

I think that you should not Instant Book. In your case it would be a good idea to have a discussion with each guest about your expectations. Some posters on this board describe the type of guests they want which might work for you. You might say something like, my listing is best suited for guests who will be visiting on business or actively out sightseeing all day. My listing is not suited to guests who enjoy lounging at the listing. Personally, I wouldn’t mind a guest doing any of the things you’ve described. I would be happy because it would mean to me that the guest felt at home.

Isn’t it funny? If our guests are out all day, I worry that they’re not happy in the apartment. If they spend all day in the apartment, I worry that they are not enjoying the local area. They just can’t win. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks for the tips guys i really appreciate them. I will remind guests when booking and put the rules list in their room. Access to the house is upstairs so there is never a need to go downstairs, and as i am a jeweller all my equipment and pieces of jewellery are downstairs…i definitely dont want airbnb guests down there…and most guests are great…just the odd one.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who feels this way. I wouldn’t mind any of it, but if the OP does, then she needs to make sure the guests are aware of her preferences. Although I have to say I can’t stand loud cell phone conversations that go on forever. I used to have that in my house rules but I took it out because I didn’t want to seem too fussy and crabby.

I agree that the original poster needs to make her guests aware of her preferences. She perceives the guests behavior as a breach of common courtesy. The point I was trying to make was that definitions of common courtesy vary so it’s best to communicate what you expect of guests.

For me, to browse someones property without permission is very bad manners. Even in hotel you cant just go everywhere, only to guests areas. Especially in someones house. Why would they even go downstairs, what did they need there?

4 Likes

But these guests pass through the home to get to their room upstairs, so I wouldn’t expect them to know they are restricted to that room unless they were told. If the doorbell rang I would answer it if I were a guest. Seems a pretty normal response.

1 Like

I know it’s not always possible, but I would consider putting in a door. It’s an investment and if you host often you will make it back. It makes it clearer that this is an off sides area.
Of course I don’t know your set up, so not sure if it’s an option.
Because of your reason, I don’t instant book. And a few days before check in, I send the same rules again as a reminder and suggest they print it out. I basically bludgeon them with it.

2 Likes

No they dont pass through the downstairs area to get upstairs. Entry to the house is via upstairs. And it is a long narrow flight of dark stairs to enter the private bedrooms and office below that is closed off by a door…maybe i should put a sign on the door that says…“private do not enter”. A lock might just make things complicated for other family members to move from their bedrooms downstairs to the kitchen upstairs that we all use?

Oh! Then I can see why it might seem like they were overstepping their boundaries. However, if they have access to the rest of your home once they’re inside, then I wouldn’t think it was too odd for them to wander.

Even if my rules on the listing clearly state that the downstairs area is private and not to go down there?? 90% of my guests are smart enough to understand that

I think locking the door to the downstairs is a good solution.

1 Like

And J wang the guest i am currently hosting who answered the door…answered it in his underpants…in a strangers house? Thats not normal behavior…i actually am beginning to think ive got a first class wanker staying in my house!

4 Likes

@Jen_Dentoom:

Actually, I think @J_Wang has the award for a ‘first class wanker guest’. If I recall correctly, his guest came to the breakfast table wearing a loin cloth thing-y which didn’t cover “Mr. Happy”.

I’d never heard that term before and wish I could erase it from my memory.

I lie.

1 Like

Yes! I think I do deserve that award :slight_smile:

I can’t take credit for that term. It was Robin Williams who said it in one of his comedy routines.

1 Like