Advice on Bedding

Hi Evelyn, that seems to be a broken link. Is your blog post no longer available?
Thanks,
Ted

It should be rederecting you to the new and shiny blog and PODCAST…

http://thehostingjourney.com/

Hi I would also recommend aBundle.com. It has hotel-quality sheets and duvet covers (white, mostly). Also pillows and mattress protectors. Some high-end linens too, but a good source for solid 200-300 thread count sheets. And you won’t break the bank.

1 Like

Yes I have tried this. Great tip. But I’ve discovered that it’s not that great for guests on long stays (more than 3 sleeps) or kids beds. Ends up too tossed around and after a guest complaining. I now revert to duvet cover when families visit for longer periods.

Check out VR Supplies. They’re hosts too and seem to have exactly what is needed.

1 Like

No clue about if guests prefer solid color or something fancy

Check out bwanaz for bedding supply

I have advice on bedding: get rid of all the darn pillows! A bed only needs 1 or 2 pillows per person. When i stay in a room with all the decorative pillows I always wonder “where do I put all these damn things?” Usually theres no room in the closet or on the shelves. Get rid of them!!!
Cliff

3 Likes

That’s why they are on the bed, they have no room to store them elsewhere. LOL.

I am the type that needs two pillows, one for my head and one between my knees. If there isn’t a second pillow I’ll be using a towel or dirty clothes stuffed into a pillowcase or something. So please have at least two pillows and have different kinds so I can find one that is comfy for me.

I have at least 2 sets of everything. I wash everything between visits, even comforters. Nothing worse than tucking yourself in to the smell of someone else’s deodorant.

I’ve slowly built up my supply, but also started with what we had on hand. No one ever complained either, but I still try to class it up as much as I can. I don’t buy expensive stuff though. People stain everything. Buy on sale and as cheap as possible while still pulling off a polished look.

I’m also shifting to all white towels and comforters so things don’t get bleached out, and can be bleached if necessary.

2 Likes

I hate those bloody things! And I’ve never understood what shams are either. I read something once (here) from a host whose bed had ‘two sleeping pillows and two sham pillows’. I just don’t get it. All pillows should be ‘sleeping pillows’, right?

We offer four per queen bed. Two hard-ish and two softer. All of them sleeping pillows :slight_smile:

1 Like

A sham is a pillow cover that will match the comforter and will be made out of the same material. It will Go in front of a pillow that matches the sheets and made out of the same material. The pillows on the inside could be the same, or may be different firmness. It would make sense to have them be different for variety.

Thanks for this, just new into hosting and the thought of laundering duvet inners just isn’t practical for me. I was wondering how to get around the issue so I will definitely be u-tubing the triple sheet method. We used to have a small motel in the Cook Islands but with the temperatures there a sheet and top sheet were all that was required. Back in NZ we definitely need a duvet option!

We find that layers are better than duvets.

We outfit each bed with top & bottom sheets (and pillowcases), a light-weight blanket, and a light-weight coverlet. All our bedding is 100% cotton. Then we stock one warmer blanket and a throw in the guest closet in each room.

For us, washing and drying the all-cotton layers takes less time (in the dryer) than any other approach we’ve tried.

2 Likes