Advice on Bedding

I like triple sheeting. I never tuck anything in at the foot of the bed…I personaly hate it…untucked it is easy enough to throw off the top sheet and blanket or duvet.

do you iron the sheets?

No no no no! LOL! I have found some really nice cotton-like microfiber sheets that do not need ironing. They also don’t stain or get bleach stains. They also dry really fast on the line for those back to back guests. I would never iron but I can see why some hosts do. I can only imagine how much extra time it would take to iron for a king size bed with eight pillows, yes… I have eight pillows on the bed!!

It DOES take a lot of time - I put 2 pillows per person so they will find one they like - so that’s 10 pillow cases!!

I thought I would hate microfiber as I’m an all-cotton kinds of gal - but I did sleep on some at an airbnb place recently and they were ok.

Me too. I would never have the dreaded microfiber in my own house upstairs, but cotton for my rental, especially at my price point, is just not practical. The light colors get stained and the dark ones get bleached. The kinds of microfiber they offer these days are surprisingly cotton like. You do have to search through a lot of junk ones at the discount stores to find a good one. The more you wash it, too, the softer it gets. I got a nice king size set for $19.99.

I would never have admitted it (because several have voiced a dislike of décor pillows) but I have 9 pillows on my King…so I beat!

I am going into my 3rd month of hosting, and have learned so much from this site and from experience about bedding! I was so worried my all white sheets and towels would stain, and they have not. A few accent hand towels bleached out from whitening toothpaste, but that is all!
One thing I have learned is the value of nice blankets. I invested in some thinner, upscale “quilts” in all-over nuetral colors like white and tan pale paisleys, and then in some high end cotton blankets in tans and teals. This allows me to make up the bed and fold down the quilts and sheets to show off the blankets. Guests have commented how nice it looks and how easy it is to get cooled down or warmed up at night. I just despise fleece blankets! Stretchy, hot and ugly to me.

Pillow covers have become de riguer for me as well.
What I would do over is to have bought two platform beds instead of one. The traditional bed requires a dust ruffle and is a hastle to make, harder to clean under and makes the room look busier.

1 Like

Sandy, these are all bedpillows. Standard ones! Only one accent pillow

pics please! :smiley:

1 Like

Oh.

then…never mind. : )

I overdo it because I don’t have a headboard!!!

I gave a local restaurant a tray stand, but I think it might have been a luggage stand. I waited tables for years and just assumed that’s what it was. But you mention you got yours from a restaurant supply store. Are they the exact same thing? Any differences?

Sure! I should update my pics, and when my guests leave on Friday, I will take pics of the bedding!

1 Like

It looks like the link is broken :frowning:

Did anyone mentioned wool bedding? I truly believe it is a best choice. Firstly, wool is able to create a perfect micro climate in bed: it absorbs sweat and evaporates it without feeling wet, you never get cold and never to hot.

I got very high quality comforters from HERE. I use them with duvet covers (linen, as they are extremely durable and has same thermoregulation properties as wool). Comforters have loops on corners and covers have ties so it’s easy to change bedding. Sometimes I use then with flat sheets (triple sheets). Highly recommend this wool + linen tandem.

1 Like

I’m not at all familiar with the properties of wool and linen as I live in a hot climate. Do these launder easily? I thought linen wrinkled a great deal.

I wash my quilt or duvet cover after every guest. Would these be practical choices in that case?

Although I like wool very much I wouldn’t use it for bedding for the general public. Many people get itchy if wool touches their skin.

1 Like

As someone who takes their own pillow when travelling due to neck and shoulder problems I decided to provide low, medium and high pillows.We put the medium on the bed and have the other sizes in the wardrobe. So far the guests have just been happy with the med. height.

1 Like

I want to stay at all your places! I have several sets of white cotton sheets and towels, multiple cotton/silk white blankets and multiple colorful cotton quilts and pillow shams – king size for my queen platform bed to hide any sloppy sheet blanket draping. (I go for speed when changing the bedding – no ironing done here!) Discount stuff from amazon overstock, macys on sale. My mattress is old and therefore better firmness with a cool gel thick memory foam top – guests and family members love it. It’s better than the new mattress in my personal bedroom go figure. Pillows and mattress/topper all covered with water/mite/bug proof encasers.

1 Like

I always say, you can put a thick memory foam topper on a rock and it will be comfortable!