Adventures in babysitting (I mean hosting)

I had one in Bradford, no complaints. But generally every place I’ve been is catered for the British mouth. Which is fair enough. But there are people out there like me that like to turn the heat up. Lol

I remember here is South Florida, a Yorkshire couple started a pub and served food. It was brilliant. They did a fantastic curry. My brother ordered a vindaloo and it nearly knocked his socks off. He said to the landlord ‘I’m coming to s*** in your toilet tomorrow’.

Sorry, Yorkshire humour :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Is it to late to respond to the op?

Like you, Faheem, we host people in our home, and, like you, desire to provide a nice experience. We also allow early check-in, if it works for us - to me it’s a no-cost way to provide extra joy for the guest. Also it works for me, at times, because I don’t have worry about being there later for check-in. I can ‘check’ that part of my list of ‘to-dos’ that day. We invariably clean the rooms as soon as someone checks out so that, no matter what happens, we are ready for the next guest.

I just had a family check in with two young kids. Young kids are usually great experiences, though they cause much more noise and mess, so I charge for them happily. However, these kids just screamed and hollered for several hours…

But I’m learning, like @jaquo, to ‘let it go’. It’s part of the cost of doing business. Most guests are great and cause little stress, some I’m eager to see leave. I (try to) take the good with the bad but it’s a learning process for me - I like everything neat, tidy, and orderly.

OK - but here’s my point about the review - this person was a bad guest for you. Here’s a review I wrote of guests who kept getting lost and then calling me for help. They barely spoke English, and when they called, they wouldn’t shut up. I literally started yelling “STOP TALKING” into the phone.

“We hosted guest and her friends during their stay here in Washington DC. They were very clean and very polite while in our home. They communicated well and were friendly. However, They did need quite a lot of personal assistance with directions before and during their stay. When they got lost they called me to help them. They did not use GPS or detailed written directions provided in advance. I’m glad I was able to find them and get them back to my home!”

I just stuck to the facts without making a judgement ‘good’ or ‘bad’. Some hosts will read that and think “whatever” and another host will thing “egad! forget it!”

So something like “Guest had difficulty booking for the correct number of guests, checked-in early without approval, was poor at communication, and needed a lot of assistance during his stay. He may be better suited for a hotel with a 24 hour service desk”

2 Likes

:wave:

High demand for summer/Xmas time here.
$195/night winter/low season.
$375 Dec 23-30
$475 Dec 31. (all booked ahead already)
Can’t hurt to try for more, you can always lower it as time gets closer.
I’m forever tweaking my rates, never been paid the wrong amount yet.

1 Like

Well, if I may beat a point, students in many cases are customers, since they are generally paying a bundle to attend school.

What I mean here is, student or customers, it’s no damn good to let them push you around.

1 Like

Hi @dcmooney,

Any comments from you are always very welcome. :slight_smile:

Yes, that’s roughly my line of thinking. In particular, there is certainly something to be said for getting check-in out of the way early, if possible.

Yes, this gentleman was/is way too much work. If all my guests were like that, I’d be in a state of nervous collapse.

LOL.

That’s good. I’m sure I’ll be back with a draft after a bit.

One more thing. Do you wait till the last minute to submit negative reviews? While I’m on-board with the concept, I’m concerned that if I wait till the last minute, I’ll either forget or miss the deadline.

Hi @konacoconutz,

Hah. There’s an entire high school debate right there.Or a book, even. And yes, they are (paying a bundle).

But I agree, you can’t tell the young things tell you what to do.

Amen to that.

Hi @Australia,

Thanks!

That’s certainly a big jump. It’s an approximately 40% increase for Christmas week.

True.

You’re fortunate. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback.

1 Like

Yes, @faheem, he was way to much work, and you are right! If they were all that way we’d crazy to continue hosting!

You are correct about forgetting - I had a group I was not to happy to have in my home so I didn’t review them right away - now I’ve forgotten what the issue even was!

I have not waited - only with the family from India with the special-needs child - and I only waited because I didn’t know what to say or how to say it. I have been a bit nervous about a few reviews but no one has ever said anything back. Again, as long as you stick to the facts, how can they argue? You’re good with words so I’m sure you’ll be able to say what is important for hosts to know without making it feel like an attack on these bumbling guests. (Like, don’t use the word ‘bumbling’ lol!)

I hope visit #2 goes better.

I hear ya - every time we order Chinese food that is advertised as ‘HOT’ we say “and we do want that spicy”. They never believe white people can handle it! And two of my kids are Chinese so you’d think they’d know what we are talking about!

1 Like

I’m sorry if I shock you, @jaquo. :slight_smile:

True. Then again, the Zombie Apocalypse is very different from western culture. Do you want to be part of that too?

3 Likes

With Air’s incessant reminders? :smile: You should also call them and get the expiration time in the guest time zone. In some cases that may be the middle of the night!

Hi @konacoconutz,

They aren’t that incessant. I think I got the last one a few days before the deadline.

If they’ll tell me. And if I can trust it to be accurate. And there aren’t any local Airbnb numbers here. I guess I’d be using Twitter.

Well, let’s see… There is one before they check out! That is a new one. Two or three after they check out and one right before the deadline. Also it flashes on your dashboard every time you log in.

It was an Air CSR who gave me that trick. You can already figure it out yourself, if you want to try hard enough. Or care enough about it. I did with my party girl furniture breaker.

Let us know how how it goes.

1 Like

No no, you are taking it wrong. She was just suggesting one that might not be wildly uncomfortable. I think you are cranky about having someone ruin your brand new bed and who can blame you for that.

I’ve been in a quandary about putting one on my new nest bed.

Really peeing in the bed, unless it was some medical problem, as an adult is completely unacceptable and should get them a bad bad review.

Have you tried Hunan Dynasty on Pennsylvania Ave yet? It’s awesome. My son kept them in business from January to May. :smile: affordable and good.

I’ve not seen most of those. I guess because I normally review quite soon after the guest departs.

I’ll be back with proposed wordings. :slight_smile:

I bought the highest rated one for the T&N bed and I didn’t like it. I’m looking for another option. I have two mattress pads on the bed now but would like something thinner with no plastic.

1 Like

Yes. That sounds like fun. Haha

Did you ever return it though and get your money back? Don’t they have a return policy?
I really question why they were sooooooo eager to dump all of their mattresses here… maybe it is a sinking ship and they were dumping them to get a tax write off?

1 Like