Your thoughts on additional guest fee and lower base rate

Ah - they are “parent and child listings” … now that makes sense:

Here for Tiny Tiki, we charge a fee of 50, per person, per night. Maximum is four, base rate is for one or two guests. The cost is for extra wear and tear, extra cleaning and extra laundry. It’s pretty hard to sneak by us, and once someone had daytime guests who “slept in their car”, which was not great, but no big deal, because her group generated several other couples bookings. There are some people that don’t book because of this fee, but its their loss. If 2 people want to use all the beds and bedding, that’s ok too, makes more work for me.

1 Like

I charge base fee for 1 or 2 guests. The $20/extra guest/night. It seems reasonable. I had no problem paying lot more when we had to rent and Airbnb in Miami. But I know people are different with different expectations.

1 Like

Food for thought—what is your target audience occupancy? 2, 4,6,8? Price for that number. Anyone over-ooopps. Anyone less—yippee. After a year you can tell what your actual occupancy is and price accordingly.

Yep-had that happen too. They slept in the camper in the bed of of the truck but came in to socialize, shower & use bathroom. They “interpreted” maximum number guests to be heads in beds.

Ring doorbell best thing ever to stop that sort of thing although not a good fit for @gypsy ’s rental

1 Like

Our Ideal is 2 people, a couple, for 2 nights, or maybe 3 if they wish to sightsee a little… xxxx .

I own and operate a six unit summer cottage colony on Cape Cod. I took over in 2002 from my mom. She began, in the 1990’s, having a base rate for first two people and minimal additional per night charges for extra people, mostly to cover extra costs for water, gas & power that occur.

Since it’s only $6 per night per adult, people aren’t wanting to cheat and sometimes want to pay more. It’s worked out well as adult kids may visit parents for only weekend so why have extra charges when only the parents?

On Thursday night or Friday (turnover day), they tell me how many extra (if not known ahead) and I compute the bill.

BTW, customers supply own linens so no real extra laundry issues.

I have a two bedroom apartment with 3 beds so can sleep 3 (or 4 if a couple don’t mind sharing a queen bed). I did think about charging per person but it’s not enforceable really and I prefer to say up to 4 can sleep at the same price. What happens when I compare with other accommodation in my area (mainly hotels) then I am not that competitive with it’s up to 2 people but over 2 then most hotels require 2 rooms and then I am way ahead.

Sounds like a crazy good bargain, especially in the season.
Darn good seafood up there - I miss buckets of “steamers”.