Your take on VRBO?

You’re completely leaving out context which I did in my post just prior because I already said it in the post above that.

To repeat: I ALWAYS use IB. I only use RTB if I can’t find anything, or can’t find much. And in last nights case I think I just got a stupid urge to experiment. Like “hey, maybe I am really missing out on the best Airbnbs!” But I’d already bookmarked some airbnbs for this trip in a very narrow area of town and when this popped up at such a good price, I had to click on it.

So if I have 6 RTB and 3 rejections that’s 50%. If I have 30 airbnb stays as a guest and 3 rejections, the 10% sounds much easier to stomach.

Full disclosure: it was not a shock to get this rejection, not because RTB hosts are terrible people but because I noticed that she seemed to have a 3 day minimum when I tried to book 2 nights for the same weekend. But we have all seen hosts who want to have these bizarre settings where they want this day like this and this other day like that and two days between bookings but only every third winter solstice if it falls on a Friday. So I thought it was just her quirk and my lucky day. At her lower price I could probably book three days for the price of two at the airbnb down the hill. So she hasn’t escaped my clutches yet. Unfortunately I simply don’t know yet if I can go for a longer trip. So what I need to do is book a hotel so I have something and then see if Airbnb has anything once I can confirm my plans.

Yes, I am aware that you’ve said you always IB if possible. And that you have had experiences where Request hosts don’t answer in a timely manner, which is bad host practice and would certainly be frustrating for guests.

But even 3 declines out of 6 requests seems high if a guest isn’t asking for hosts to make exceptions to their rules, has plenty of good reviews and doesn’t send up any red flags.

I never change anything on my listing- minimum and maximum stay length, prices, check-in days, etc. so hopefully that makes things easier for guests. Seems like when hosts have all these complicated settings for different dates, it not only makes things more difficult for guests, but also for the hosts. And more likely for there to be platform glitches, which I have never had happen to my settings.

I guess I sent up red flags. LOL. Probably that I’m a host and obviously tried to book one night when she clearly has a 3 night minimum! A rule breaker! Wants special treatment!

I went to look again and see what a 3 day booking would cost, and she adjusted the settings so that Saturday can’t be booked. I can book 3 days checking out Sat or 3 days starting Sun.

I could take it personally but that’s not my style. Here’s what I think happened. She wanted to block Saturday. She has a 3 minimum and would take before or after but wants Saturday off. So she messed up with her settings and blamed a glitch.

If she had IB the same thing could happen, it just never has. I only have this issue with RTB hosts. And it’s admittedly a small issue.

1 Like