Your guts says decline guest, how do you do it without offending them?

My second set of guests were in town to attend a Phish concert, but I didn’t know that when they made the reservation. They rented the whole house (I stayed at a friends, I rarely rent the whole house anymore). My price was still very low back then as I was trying to get good reviews. They stayed here 4 days, left me a $100 tip and a small wooden peace sign, which was just the perfect gift for me :slight_smile: When I came home, they were still here, sweeping the kitchen floor and dusting! So, yeah, they were late checking out, but they said that they just couldn’t help themselves and had fallen asleep in the back yard :slight_smile: concert goers can be really cool folks :wink:

2 Likes

That’s true. I had local guests check-in for three weeks due to renovations at their home. They were great.

But I’m usually weary of local guests. Often they’re looking for a house to throw a party in. Especially if it’s during a holiday weekend like the 4th of July.

We get local guests ALL the time! wedding venues, keys trips or keys wedding and a stop over before a keys wedding. A LOT of Cuban young folks that just use our place for sex because they live with their parents, in our culture thing is still a big thing even with 30 year olds. they are the most messy but I know what is in it for me.

1 Like

There are several times I wish I had followed my gut instincts - a young man without a clear picture, no reviews, requested a weeks stay without reason. Our communication wasn’t fulfilling to me, I still didn’t feel comfortable, yet accepted anyway. He showed up by taxicab, with several HUGE duffle bags. He said he was moving into the area and was here to look for a job. He never left the house, basically drank all day long (there is a liquor store within walking distance). He either spilled or drank (or a combination of both) a bottle of my vodka (all liquor is now in a locked cabinet). When he finally checked out, he left smelly beer cans with chewing tobacco spit in them all over the room. And then another time, a 23 year old beautiful, young lady from Germany requested a 10 day stay and said she was coming for vacation. Again, not comfortable with this, do young girls travel alone from Euarope for vacation to rural Florida towns? But I accepted it. Once she arrived, she hardly left the house, except for an hour each day at around noon to visit her boyfriend, who was on a chain-gang up the highway. She was gone most of Saturday and Sunday as those were the only visiting hours. He was a local man in prison for stealing guns and she met him on an online “prison pen-pal” site. She cooked in my kitchen and left pots of food on the stove and rarely cleaned up after herself. She had nothing to do during the day but just hang around my house. I work from home, and it was truly awkward. She also checked my mail each day, as though she was expecting something - meaning she gave out my home address. She also befriended another prisoner’s mother, who picked her up at my home, one evening to go out. This is uncomfortable because now she knows the layout of my home, my activities, the fact that I am a woman living alone, what car I drive, etc. Everything about her here, was very disconcerting. I have to say, that with EVERY guest I have, I have learned a lesson and one is that I find out exactly why they are coming to town before I accept them, no more prison bunnies - that’s for sure!

I live in South Florida, so we are heading into the OFF season. In preparing for the busy season after the summer ends, I want to be more prepared. I have only declined a few - does anyone know if declining effects your Superhost status or any of your stats? I’ve got all 5 stars and my response time is less than an hour.

On another note, I have had such a cast of characters, like I’m sure many of you had - Has anyone had gun bearing US Marshalls show up at their door looking for a guest? Or the cranky, yelling elderly lady who turned the AC down to 68 every chance she got? Or the guy, who texted very uncomfortable sexual things to you right from his room down the hall? I think I’m either going to write a blog or a book!

Sincerely,
A more cautious host in south Florida!

5 Likes

BINGO! This is why you always trust your gut. And, I agree with most folks here. You don’t owe anyone an explanation for why you don’t want to let them into your home.

I just say ‘Sorry. We are unable to accommodate you. Best of luck with your travels.’

Simple, professional, and doesn’t invite any irritating back and forth. Just hit DECLINE and move on. No amount of money is worth being uncomfortable in your own home.

3 Likes

Acccck!!! What a story! But this phrase made me laugh :smile:

2 Likes

Indeed! :slight_smile: A friend of mine called her a “prison bunny” ha ha

1 Like

I had a case where a local asked to see the room. I welcomed him to do so, but asked that he send a copy of his ID with a photo. The response was that he was already in the area and couldn’t. No, problem, I said, I’ll meet you at WalMart and we can exchange IDs. When he told me he didn’t have time to do that, I thanked him and told him I was sorry it didn’t work out for him.

2 Likes

Hi Cinderelle let me know when you decide to write your book, I can join to provide you with some experiences myself! :slight_smile:

I didn’t know you can ask for their documents before hand? But I will ask around to see if is ok W/Airbnb rules as we all know they are very controversial sometimes.

How did your review read? Did they review you?

Noone reviewed anyone. I don’t review people anymore unless they did something awfull and I want to warn other hosts

1 Like

Look on Facebook for “AirBnB bad guests”. A LOT of warnings about partiers, but nitpickers too.

Why didn’t you just block her so she couldn’t either book or send you messages?