Yet More Amenties to Check/Uncheck!

Just noticed there’s an entire thread from 2019 on pocket WiFi right here on the forum.

I assume the Pocket Wi-Fi providers contract with a number of ‘signal sources’, so in my experience (months of use) range or coverage is not an issue.

There is something comforting about having a strong signal regardless where you are. Flat fee, always on and portable.

I’ve not looked into availability in the states.

Thanks for posting this - I hadn’t checked my listing details for a while and wow! what a suprise!

Good thread. Just reviewed my listing details.

I had similar thoughts each time Microsoft upgraded Office.

1 Like

I started to add the brand of shampoo/conditioner (Pantene), then realized - this is one more thing for guests to downgrade us on if it does not match the description. If we run out, my housekeeper can’t get Pantene nearby and she buys whatever is cheap.
I can see it now. Guest calls AirBnB CSS and says “I want 20% of my $500 a night back and I’m going to take out a star because they supplied VO5 shampoo instead of Pantene”…
Ummmm, nope, not gonna list the brand!

1 Like

I am wanting to know if these named amenities are searchable!

So if I advertise having a Pocket WifFi it’ll be the first thing stolen by guests! Cool!

2 Likes

Yep, I just unchecked “HD TV - Premium Cable.” All they need to know is that there is a TV. I have an upgrade that is more than the basic Verizon plan for channels, but the guest’s definition of “premium” may not be mine.

“Whaaah, no HBO Max, I want my money back!”

1 Like

Well, great g-ddammit, I can’t blank out the formerly selected TV descriptors, I can only choose other radio buttons (non HD, standard cable) unless I check X, no TV. Which I tried, closed browser, went back in, can’t get rid of them.

Bother, bother, bother.

If all hosts ignored those “brand” fields, they might realize what a dumb idea that was. But they’ll probably be a lot of unsuspecting hosts who will fill them out and then have the scenario you foresee happening.

I hate the whole “branding” thing anyway. I refuse to wear clothing that has some brand logo on it. But asking hosts to name the brand of appliances and shampoo they have is taking it to a length I can’t believe someone thought was a good idea.

2 Likes

I agree. However, I was able to use the “brand” field on the oven to insert the word “countertop”. The person who built the house decided they did not need an oven, so the only one we have is a countertop model.

2 Likes

A stolen pocket wi-fi would be as useful as a stolen TV remote control.

1 Like

Used a pocket wifi supplied by an Airbnb host in Tokyo. Literally had it on my pocket and gave me 4 gig access a day. Found it very useful!

Found another thread from 2017 on portable WiFi. Lost/stolen rate from a provider company cited at 0.5%.
Security deposit recommended. Possibly homeowner’s insurance would cover. And I guess you can disable 'em.
I’m intrigued. My extender went kerblooey during recent guest visit and I had to crawl around behind the bed, disconnecting and reconnecting and trying to recall how I set it up in the first place, having mysteriously safeguarded the notes I made at the time I know not where.

We have one of these:

Takes a data SIM and is useful as a backup if your internet goes down, means you are still providing the “amenity”.

Ironically, when our power was off a week or so ago, and we had no internet, I completely forgot we had this. Duh…

JF

1 Like

Having just set up a new STR after an almost 3 year absence, could not believe the strange long list of items they’ve added.
Seriously, people can’t even read the # of nights they can book for or pets or not. People are not going to read through these lists. Keep it simple.

2 Likes

I also have a cell based WiFi. It’s good though. Can’t remember which I checked.
Also, the only coffee maker type is Keurig? What about Tassimo?

I know- does Airbnb have some kick-back deal with Keurig?

I just have a Bodum aka a French press, and a grinder, so fresh ground, which is actually my favorite type of coffee making and certainly isn’t anything unusual- plenty of people use them, yet that option isn’t there.

Instead they have “Pour-over coffee”, whatever that is- an expression I never heard in my life and sounds like some baby phrase.

1 Like

Pour over now seems to mean the way I’ve made coffee my whole life. Filter on top of cup, coffee in filter, pour water through filter.
Since I don’t have a stove in my rental I started looking for electric kettles and then started seeing “pour over” all over. So, I got to check that as an amenity. I hate coffee makers and avoid at all costs.