Yet another breakfast enquiry - but this time a Chinese one!

Aboard ManCave, I’ve only got a 2 burner Coleman and a couple pots & pans. When I cook for our listing I use my partner’s kitchen, and she’s got most of the mod. cons.

Glad you like the site. I’ve had fun with it over the years. Keeps me fresh and always trying new things. I’m currently working up Crunchy French Toast…

That’s a good one! I’ve made it since and loved it again. Made a bigger batch so she had a couple stacks to take for lunches.

1 Like

Eggs are a remarkable source of protein and other goodies, of course. And in countries/cultures where refrigeration is still a ‘new thing’, hard boiled eggs are a marvel – they can be kept for quite some time without going bad (as long as the shell stays intact), and as a breakfast item they can be cooked the night before and don’t require building a cooking fire in the morning if the people are still cooking with wood/charcoal.

Old traditional habits die hard, so even today when most folks have a gas or electric stove and some sort of refrigerator, the food favorites linger on.

Speaking as a Chinese host living in Britain, and former tour guide, don’t bother. You are unlikely to produce a Chinese breakfast of the quality of the British or Continental one you would normally offer. If your listing describes your normal breakfast, you have already set expectations anyway.

2 Likes

Thanks Wye View - that’s very much how we feel. I’m afraid all the discussion about what type of pickle I’d need to accompany congee went a bit above my head! But you’re right - at the end of the day (or the start of the day?) I’m not going to be able to produce a Chinese breakfast of the same quality as the breakfast I currently provide. I might add a couple of eggs, though! Thanks to everybody for your help and views - much appreciated.

1 Like

Based on my many years of experience dealing with my Chinese friends, the older generation (40 above ) are less westernised, and more difficult to deal with. Try to make some small talk and make compliments about their daughter to establish rapport. Be prepared for some demands, a lot of them have never travelled outside of China before and may not understand Western customs. many are also often too polite to complain in your face but will write it into their reviews. To get around their non-confrontation approach it’s better to text them to check in on any issues rather than ask face to face.

1 Like

Isn’t one of the pleasures of traveling to try new foods? I wouldn’t do anything different. Personally, if I had to start making a different breakfast for every different nationality who visits me, it would never stop.

2 Likes

One of the delights of travel is adapting to another countries’ cuisine.I think you should stick with what you provide but buy a few bowls of noodles they can use if they prefer (that’s what our Chinese guests do). They are very cheap at Asian markets and you can ask the owners what the most popular ones are.

1 Like

Just an update - my Chinese guests just cancelled their booking with no explanation! I have to say I was slightly relieved, though I’d spent money buying noodles, chopsticks, pickles and dumplings!

Enjoy! But what a let down…