"Yeah, right, that's not a real service dog"

I thought this was relevant given the many snarky posts here about service dogs and Emotional Support Animals.

1 Like

QUOTE: " If I just “wanted to bring my pet with me everywhere” he wouldn’t be this well trained and in tune to my needs."

That’s the key difference - service animals are well trained and tuned into their person’s needs.

1 Like

What a very sad story.

1 Like

Another parent doing a spectacular job teaching the exact wrong lesson during the teachable moment.

As an aside, Justice Sotomayor has a new children’s book out called “Just Ask,” on the same topic which is the damage people who think they can tell by looking at you what you are doing, what you are like, or what your story is, can do. All the people who think they need a photo before accepting a guest’s request come to mind, to be clear.

4 Likes

For sure. I have a guest coming tomorrow without a profile photo. But we’ve had great communication and I feel very comfortable.

But then again, some of my loveliest guest have been terrible communicators until they arrived… ! Sorry, not on topic. I’m not a PETA person by any stretch but I am mulling over the idea that we humans think it’s ok to enslave (? i know, provocative word but can’t think of another right now) animals for our own needs.

It’s an emotional support animal. There is a difference.

Real service dogs don’t have vests.

1 Like

@NordlingHouse You are incorrect. There are PTSD service dogs and many service dogs wear vests.

4 Likes

KKC is correct PTSD dogs are now listed as Service Dogs. Many vets use them. Also it’s the owners choice whether to use a vest or not.

2 Likes

Just recently denied a booking request from a guest claiming to have a medical alert dog, despite her acknowledgement that my booking says No Pets Allowed. They had a previous review stating a dog damaged the hosts bed and sheets. That was an easy and automatic no - and I avoided the whole debate over the definitions and legalities of a service animal by citing her prior bad review, not the dog itself.

3 Likes