WSJ: Airbnb Executive Resigned Last Year Over Chinese Request for More Data Sharing

Yes of course your Airbnb income is reported. And why shouldn’t it be? But that’s not explaining how (as I said above) they would know a host’s income. The monies they receive from their Airbnb rental certainly, but not their overall income.

There’s no reason for it to not be reported so it’s a strange thing for some people to get their knickers in a twist about.

3 Likes

Bugger me, neither did I.

Richest poster on here I reckon. I think the annual get together is at your hoose this year. Any chance you could help out with the travel, as in is your Gulfstream IV free next May?

JF

3 Likes

I am more impressed with my parsley revenues frankly. Who knew I would end up as a farmer. Bye the bye, have a look at the price of hiring a jet these days. Almost zip. So hire your own jet, but only allowed ten people on my island at a time, so please respect the laws around covid.

If you deposit income in your bank account, the government either knows, or can find out by getting a warrant — and they don’t have to tell you.

2 Likes

Yes, but I meant that Airbnb doesn’t know your income from direct bookings, other OTAs or any other source.

The article was not behind a paywall when I posted it – the Drudge Report was where i saw this, so that link briefly opened a view of the entire article.

Here are a non-paywalled ways to see the problems going on:

An anonymous source familiar with the situation told the WSJ that the Chinese government had approached Airbnb with an unofficial request for more “real-time data” about reservations in the summer of 2019. Joyce had expressed concerns to top executives like Chief Executive Brian Chesky and co-founder Nathan Blecharczyk that this could allow the Chinese government to spy on tourists and locals, as well as track persecuted groups like the Muslim Uighurs.

While Joyce’s concerns were listened to and taken seriously, he resigned after reportedly being told by Blecharczyk that company was not operating in China “to promote American values.”

American and other foreign companies working in China often have to toe a fine line between maintaining the same privacy standards as in the Western world and being allowed to operate in China at all. Giving some information about who is staying to the government is often a condition of being able to run a globally branded hotel or other hospitality company in the country.

Current and former government officials like Joyce, who served under former director Robert Mueller until 2013, tend to take a hardline stance against sharing American data with the Chinese government.

As it filed for an IPO and made the first steps toward selling shares on the market last week, Airbnb revealed that it has lost more than $1 billion amid the coronavirus outbreak and curb to international travel last year.

The Chinese market is a large and fast-growing part of the company’s profit strategy. Listings in China grew from several thousand in 2014 to over 372,000 now, according to AirDNA data found by the WSJ, while growth in China was one of the factors determining executive bonuses in 2019**.

While Airbnb’s current Chinese data sharing practices have been in place since 2016 and are made available for anyone using the site to book a rental to read, Joyce believed that the Chinese government’s summer request would allow for more extensive data about which reservation was made in real time. Airbnb told the WSJ that it does not share real-time data with the Chinese government and did not consider doing that in the summer.

So the difference that led to Joyce quitting, again discussed in this third article, is the demand for real-time info including messages, which is real intelligence that could lead to the arrests of Airbnb guests if they in any way cross the CCP.

No wonder Joyce quit.

For years, Airbnb has disclosed that it shares information such as phone numbers and email addresses with the Chinese government when a user books a rental in China. That happens whether the user is a Chinese citizen or a foreign visitor — a policy that’s required from all hospitality businesses operating in the country. Joyce, who Airbnb hired in May 2019 to protect the platform’s users, was concerned with Airbnb’s willingness to share data. Joyce also objected to the scope of the data shared, such as messages sent between guests and hosts, The Wall Street Journal reports. He feared it could allow the Chinese government to track foreign visitors and its own citizens.

Apparently it does hand over info under certain circumstances.

Airbnb received 188 requests for users’ data from governments around the world in the first six months of this year, according to the company’s first-ever transparency report. The home-sharing company provided data in response to 82 of those requests.

Airbnb is publishing a transparency report as part of its Community Compact, an initiative to make the company more transparent to the public and to the local governments in the cities where it operates.
The majority of requests for Airbnb user data came from French authorities, followed by law enforcement agencies in the United States, Germany, and the United Kingdom.

I don’t need to do any research on this @sarah1. I know how Airbnb works in the UK. I live here.

You are incorrect.

HOHUM!!..I am not in a competition here. Very unlikely I am ever wrong.

Hi Sarah,

We want to share some important information about tax with you.

As Airbnb Payments UK facilitates hosts’ payments, we are legally required to provide a limited amount of data about historical transactions that took place on the Airbnb platform during the 2017/18 and 2018/19 tax years to HMRC. This data will identify hosts and details of their earnings on Airbnb. To learn more about this data sharing arrangement with HMRC, you can read these FAQs.

Your earnings on Airbnb may be subject to UK tax regulations. If you need to file a tax return, remember that you have a legal obligation to accurately report your earnings on Airbnb to Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

While we always recommend contacting a tax advisor in your area, here are some resources to help make the process easier—including:

The Airbnb UK Tax Hub which features videos and blogs to help you better understand tax

An exclusive 10% discount for TaxScouts who can help you with your tax return

Visit the UK Government website to get help with tax to get help with tax or find out If you need to tell HMRC about additional income.

Thanks,
The Airbnb Team

Airbnb, Inc.
888 Brannan Street,
San Francisco, CA 94103

PS dont forget an apology please.

Airbnb hand over details of UK host transactions in the Uk as indicated in the information you posted :grin::grin::grin: @sarah1

I have no objection to this, as I declare everything I earn.

It doesn’t hand over details of guests, their bank accounts and incomes as you stated earlier in the thread.

No need for you to apologise. :grin:

1 Like

Yes, well I thought it would be self evident that Airbnb did not hand over to the government details of guests that it did not have.

And like you I too declare all my income. If you and I didnt do that there would be no hospitals and schools.

Well except for the offshore dividends and sales of parsley and rosemary. No need to tell them that.

1 Like